Sunday at the IPCPR

Started by podman28, 08/10/2009 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

podman28

Well now it is late Sunday night and I have finally wandered back to the hotel. I just think it can't get any better than this for a true cigar lover. I got up this morning and headed over to the convention hall. There was a nice breakfast there so I ate as I knew I would need it and then went in to the show. Everything was going full force and I had some tasks to accomplish with different vendors so I got to it.

My first stop was was of course with La Flor Dominicana. I had to get my Limitado IV cab signed and it just so happened Litto wasn't busy. I met with out rep to go through a few things and then Litto came over. He was to put it mildly a bit surprised to see cab #0002 come back to him for an autograph. He asked his guys how that box got out of the factory and away from him. I then proceeded to see many of the vendors whose products I sell regularly and then some that I don't as well. I figured that I should really see all that there is since it is my first show. Here are some of the tidbits I picked up and some things for the guys at the Leaf to look forward to:

I met Sam Leccia and smoked the Cain Habano. I also got the maduro but haven't gotten to it yet. It was a great cigar. I look forward to the maduro as well but I must have gotten 60 cigars to sample today.

Camacho's Room 101 is a very good med-full bodied cigar and should get some nice play but we will see how the shelves stack up at the new Leaf.

Rocky has indeed turned the Winter Blend into a line and called it Patel Bros. He did tweek the blend a bit and added more ligero to make it even more full. He also released a line in commemoration of his birth year called the 1961. Box cigars were at the show but the bands weren't ready yet. The other 2 cigars that were reblended with more ligero were the Renaissance and Old World Reserve which is now called Old World Reserve Master Select or something of that nature. At his booth he was also serving El Dorado 21 Year Old Rum that for rum lovers as I am must be sampled.

The new re-blended La Aroma de Cuba was there as well as the new San Cristobal Seleccion del Sol. I am sorry to say there is no VSG maduro but there is a new cigar with the aged maduro wrapper and some of the VSG filler in a similar style to the Magisty. I think it is called the 58 but I could be wrong.

Padron has a new Anniversary edition out called the 45 I think and Leaf guys should look for it on our shelves when it is shipped but it will be pricy at about $25 a stick. BTW they are a pain in the ass to deal with.

Cubao Maduro looks great though I have yet to try my sample. But Nestor Miranda is a real gentleman.

Fonseca is releasing a Casa Magna with an Oscuro wrap that looks very interesting as well as a new box-press cigar called Quesada 35th Anniversary but I wasn't very impressed by it.

Kristoff has their new sumatra line out and should be quite nice as well as their new lanceros.

I am sorry to say that for Alec Bradley the Mundial was not ready for the show. The band looks very nice but I can't speak for the cigar as I have not seen it.

After a long day at the show I went back to the room to change and show. I am sorry to say that I did not get in contact with Mike from Leaf and Ale or Eric from Jack Schwartz. I did go to the Altaditis reception and spent some time with the guys at Belicoso's with is another shop near me. It was rather uneventful but was decent free food and drinks.

After the reception I made my way back to Don Leoncio's to relax and have a cigar. When I got there it was rather quiet which was a nice way to start. After a bit my new buddy Harry came in with a few guys so we went torwards the back to have a cigar. BTW their house cigar Don Leoncio Gran Reserva is rather good. After a bit a very recognizable guy in a white Cuban shirt and hat walked in. Well, I'll be damned if Carlito didn't just enter the building. Abe was right behind him and the place started buzzing. Fortunately I had a Superbeli on me so I gave it a quick cut and went to meet the man. Again it was a great experience and he thanked me for supporting his brand.

Soon after that all hell broke loose. It seemed like cigar Nirvana. First it was Erik Espinosa of 601 cigars and Cubao. Then Don Pepin came back. You haven't seen much until you seen him dancing salsa and singing to the Latin music. Then came the Tattoo man himself Pete Johnson and as I was talking with Pete's rep he told me to turn around and say hello to Ernesto Padilla. All were terriffic gentlemen and I was again a bit stunned. Seems as though Abe's little cigar bar in front of Pinar del Rio's offices is the place to be. Better yet it is a small, confortable environment were such huge names were just themselves out to have a good time. I can't even explain how incredible an experience this has been for me but I do have some pictures.

nukbucko

:lmao: As the day goes on your eyes get red and redder :lmao:

Looks like tons of fun i am so pissed :mad: I want to have fun like that
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Hot Stuff x

Great photos, thanks for sharing...I'm enjoying reading about your time there. :bigthumbs:

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

gitfiddl

QuoteHot Stuff x - 8/10/2009  3:58 AM

Great photos, thanks for sharing...I'm enjoying reading about your time there. :bigthumbs:

Noticing a few more spelling and grammatical errors in the posts too... :biggrin:  Looks like you're having fun.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

DonM

Very nice pics, it sounds like a good time!  Enough to make any cigar geek just a little envious

"The Curmudgeon"

mountedshriner

DUDE!!!! I am so glad that this trek turned out to be such a great experience for you. The pics are great and I have no problem living vicariously through your observations and commentary. Thanks so much for sharing your stellar weekend w/all of us. You "DA MAN" Tim....Thanks buddy. :bigthumbs:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

cmmayo

Pretty amazing, Podman.

:bow:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Jackal

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nukbucko

Tim what was your total rake in Cigars.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

nwb

Second that.  I am curious how many cigars you are gifted over the weekend.  I have a friend who is there right now...she doesn't smoke, so she might be able to hook me up with some samples.

Thanks for the posts...I am truly envious.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

podman28

Quotenwb - 8/10/2009  8:20 PM

Second that.  I am curious how many cigars you are gifted over the weekend.  I have a friend who is there right now...she doesn't smoke, so she might be able to hook me up with some samples.

Thanks for the posts...I am truly envious.

nwb

I am guessing in the 150 range. It is a big pile of cigars. I am going to have to check a bag on the flight home. :biggrin:

BlackIrish

What an amazing experience!

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Bob Cordell

Damn!!!!!!!!! 150 cigars?

Way to go, I bet you were great at trick or treat when you were a kid!

:dancing:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.