Ok...So may be getting a tower built...

Started by kxthor911, 12/30/2014 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kxthor911

I have a friend that builds cabinets and has offered to build a humidor for me, he has never built one before though so I need some advice.

I know about spanish cedar and all that. 

My questions are these: 

1. does it matter what type of wood you use on the outside? as long as its hardwood. I know humidity affects different woods differently.

2. how thick does the cedar need to be on the inside of the humidor? how do you go about putting it on the inside (use of brass nails or screws, or glue (which type of glue please))

3. where would you get hinges that would provide a good seal? I'm not really going the fancy route, just the functional one. thanks for your help guys.

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

DonM

Lucky Bastid!

Ken is the resident wood expert, I would hit him up for advice

"The Curmudgeon"

bigjohn20081983

Terry just built one not long ago himself. You may want to hit him up for advice. He may even have a blue print you can look at for ideas. http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=31083.0
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

kxthor911

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 12/30/2014  2:26 PM  Terry just built one not long ago himself. You may want to hit him up for advice. He may even have a blue print you can look at for ideas. http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=31083.0

Thanks for the tip. I dunno how I missed that thread. Been pretty busy these past few months.

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

DonM

Terry did build a damn nice humidor, worth checking out for sure!

"The Curmudgeon"

terrys1991

The cabinet I built was a plywood box with the inside lined wth spanish cedar & the exterior covered with mahogany panels my thinking was the plywood would act as a barrier between the two wood species, but it did make for a rather heavy cabinet. You could also just use a hardwood plywood for the exterior & lined interior with cedar. Wood will expand across the grain more than the length so I started by applying the spanish cedar on the top & bottom first, I have the grain running front to back & left a small gap about an 1/8" or a little more on each side to allow for expasion, then came the back piece cut it snug between top & bottom & with the grain running top to bottom with same gap on each side, then applied the side pieces I used cuople of small brads towrds the center of each end on the top bottom & back, the back piece will keep the top & bottom flat against the case the sides will do the same thing plus keeps the back edge flat I did put a small amount of glue towrds the front edges of the sides & a few brads on front & rear edges of the sides, I used titebond II wood glue and haven't had any problems. Once the wood is seasoned and humidity stablizes the spanish cedar shouldn't move much more.

The minimum thickness I'd use would be 1/4", I resawed some 1" thick rough stock in half & it was a little over 3/8" thick once it was surfaced my original plan was to use 1/2" thick.

An overlay door will be easier to seal than the inset like I used with the overlay door you can apply weather stripping around the interior edge of the door to make a good seal in my case I had to hold the cedar lining back to allow for the thickness of the D shaped foam that  I used, you can use pretty much any cabinet door type hinge you will just need to take into account the cedar thickness as part of the overlay dimenision if you go that route the 35mm concealed type hinges are available with overlays from 1/2" up to 1¼".  Hope this helps you out some 

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Longhorn

QuoteDonM - 12/30/2014  3:50 PM

Terry did build a damn nice humidor, worth checking out for sure!

I'd buy my buddy, who's never built a humidor, a 6 pack and tell him not to worry about building one for me.  

Then I'd PM Terry and/or Ken.

dddddmorgan

I agree with the advice given so far. Quality Baltic Birch ply is wonderful as its stable and excellent to work with, your friend should be very familiar with it. For my .02 I wouldn't glue or use fasteners on the cedar. Constructed carefully and with some planning it could line any box with just friction fit. My preference would be loose tenon joints.
Molon Labe!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.