BIG Question!

Started by 1sgjeffward, 12/30/2014 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1sgjeffward

OK so I was looking at the 4,000 plus humidor cabinets. Later in the day the wife and me had to go into Buena Vista, CO to get a few little supplies for New Years.

Here is the question and what I want you guys to trouble shoot. Keeping in mind I have 2 mini fridges and a medium sized Wine fridge that I have converted into humidors. When we were in town I spotted a clearance sale so I looked and found an 18.4 cubic fridge for only $398!!! Seriously thinking about picking it up and converting it.

-Thin sheets of 100% cedar plywood covering the sides.
-Wire shelves replaced by slats of appropriate sized 100% cedar boards
-8 Full cedar trays loaded on cedar shelves spaced as to allow as much circulation as possible.
-Every non coated cedar cigar boxes I can get my hands on (I would says 15-20 off the top of my head).
-Checked and double checked that I can be plugged in and still keep the main section and freezer turned off so I will not get too cold. This allows for the excellent lighting of the fridge to be used.
-As it goes on will continue to all the cedar I can find to it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I know it will have to be opened regularly to avoid high humidity and allow it to suck in some fresh air (caused by the 100% seal you get with the way it closes).

LMK what you guys have for me please.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Jackal

What kind of refrigeration does this unit use (compressor or thermoelectric)?  If it is using a compressor, you may have the problem of low humidity as the moisture will get pulled out  while the refrigeration unit is running.

With that big of an area, some fans would make a lot of sense too, to keep from getting moisture pockets.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

SparklePony

X2 on the fans.  Personally, if it's a compressor, I wouldn't even bother.  You'll get very frustrated trying to get to even 50% humidity.  I have heard rumors that you can make it work, but it's difficult.  Tell us what you decide!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Camshaft83

I think these guys idea of fans to circulate the air is very good. Also guys I think the only power he was going to run is the lights, not the cooling systems. So I think everything you have planned for it sounds like it will turn into a great fridgedor. Want to see pics too.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Mojo66

If you are going to plug it in, compressor would be a show stopper for me. I'd bypass the compressor(s) and bring in the electricity just for the lights and the fans necessary for such a big space.

If lighting the interior is a problem, small stick on (battery or live) led lights will cost next to nothing and last a very long time. They run cold too which is good.

It's a nice project that would give you massive storage but... we want pics :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

MacMac

Wow, a refrigerator as a humidor -- that's BIG!  How many cigars to you have?
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Jay'D

So let me get this stright, the purpose of using the fridge would have nothing to do with temperature or keeping the sticks at a certain temperature?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

ninfiction

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  11:52 AM

So let me get this stright, the purpose of using the fridge would have nothing to do with temperature or keeping the sticks at a certain temperature?

Would be the same idea as using a cooler and making a coolidor. In many parts of the country temp isn't an issue. My basement stays in the 60's year round.

I know a guy that bought a house and there was already a fridge in the cellar under the house. He converted it into a humidor, uses kitty litter for humidification.

You can find them used cheap and even if they don't run they can make a great large humidor. You'll find a lot of guys that have wineadors don't run them either, and some guys do need them because temp is an issue.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Jay'D

Quoteninfiction - 5/11/2015  1:51 PM

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  11:52 AM

Would be the same idea as using a cooler and making a coolidor. In many parts of the country temp isn't an issue. My basement stays in the 60's year round.

I know a guy that bought a house and there was already a fridge in the cellar under the house. He converted it into a humidor, uses kitty litter for humidification.

You can find them used cheap and even if they don't run they can make a great large humidor. You'll find a lot of guys that have wineadors don't run them either, and some guys do need them because temp is an issue.
Ok got you, I envy you guys that don't have temperature issues....lucky bastards. I'm on the hunt for a wineador all now, can't depend shop online since the places i came upon don't ship outside of the continental US.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.