Re Seasoning

Started by Whiskeyrunner, 01/21/2015 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskeyrunner

Received a new Taj Mahal humidor 125 CT for Christmas.

Seasoned the humidor with distilled water with what I thought was a thorough saturation using a sponge etc.  ( Mfg instructions) 48 hours.

Have about 50+ sticks or more in the humidor with Xikar 70% gel.  Could not get the RH above 60%.  So went to the Boveda packs (3) at 65% and could not get the RH any higher.

Decided to re-season the humidor with a little more aggressive saturation of distilled water once again. Removed the cigars to a tupperdor (3)  with the 65% packs in each tupperdor.

Noticed that after the 48 hour period of seasoning the humidity had jumped to 90+% and has since receded to 79% over the past 4 days.

Question is at what point to I consider the RH to be stable and put the cigars back in?

I have done some research that suggest a process of 7-14 days before it can be stabilized with rh?

Thanks fellows
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Teddy Roosevelt

The Burn Ward

Do a search for "seasoning", issue sound like your hygrometer.

Jackal

If you do the wipe down method (which I do not recommended). You will get wild humidity shifts as the wood is trying to equilibrate to the atmosphere.  The easier way to go about seasoning is to use a small dish and add hot (not boiling) distilled water to it; you can nuke some distilled water in the microwave in a coffee cup for 30 second or so.  After about a day (depending on the size of the humidor, for a 125 a day will probably be plenty), the wood will humidify evenly and be ready for use (will keep a stable humidity).

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

cavenbk

Did you make sure your hygrometer is calibrated as well? That could be part of the problem. It might be closer than what you think but your hygrometer is off. Also, the more cigars you put in the humidor the easier it will be to maintain a constant RH.

Keep your eyes open to this thread as you will get a lot of useful info coming in from Geeks with more experience than I. Also, check out the article on the site about seasoning your humidor if you haven't already. Some good info in there as well.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Whiskeyrunner

Sorry forgot to mention that the hygrometer digital has been calibrated and re-calibrated.

I know that RH is a variable to ones taste however at what point in RH do I refill the humidor.

Should I refill with Boveda packs at this point?

Thanks for your patience ........

Struggling newbie
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Teddy Roosevelt

Longhorn

Reading your original post, I'm wondering if your cigars were a little dry - e.g. they were taking up moisture when you switched to the Boveda packs.

You noted that the rH jumped when you removed the cigars.  

Just a thought, but maybe your humidor is working just fine and your cigars need additional time - you'll need to keep fresh Boveda packs on hand until the humidor and cigars all stabilize at the desired rH. Boveda packs will eventually do that as they are a two way system.

EDIT:  In case you were unaware, you can recharge Boveda packs - just put the dry ones in a small, sealed container with distilled water (in a small cup). The Boveda pack will absorb moisture until it reaches a saturation point at the desired rH.

Cfickter

As you can see a number of variables over and above the humidor itself. All good points given
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

headfirst

QuoteLonghorn - 1/21/2015  11:55 AM

Reading your original post, I'm wondering if your cigars were a little dry - e.g. they were taking up moisture when you switched to the Boveda packs.

You noted that the rH jumped when you removed the cigars.  

Just a thought, but maybe your humidor is working just fine and your cigars need additional time - you'll need to keep fresh Boveda packs on hand until the humidor and cigars all stabilize at the desired rH. Boveda packs will eventually do that as they are a two way system.

EDIT:  In case you were unaware, you can recharge Boveda packs - just put the dry ones in a small, sealed container with distilled water (in a small cup). The Boveda pack will absorb moisture until it reaches a saturation point at the desired rH.
Longhorn, how effective is this and how many times can you recharge them?  The water pillows are very hit and miss on recharging even though they claim you can recharge them.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

bigjohn20081983

Quoteheadfirst - 1/21/2015  4:28 PM  
QuoteLonghorn - 1/21/2015  11:55 AM  Reading your original post, I'm wondering if your cigars were a little dry - e.g. they were taking up moisture when you switched to the Boveda packs.  You noted that the rH jumped when you removed the cigars.    Just a thought, but maybe your humidor is working just fine and your cigars need additional time - you'll need to keep fresh Boveda packs on hand until the humidor and cigars all stabilize at the desired rH. Boveda packs will eventually do that as they are a two way system.   EDIT:  In case you were unaware, you can recharge Boveda packs - just put the dry ones in a small, sealed container with distilled water (in a small cup). The Boveda pack will absorb moisture until it reaches a saturation point at the desired rH.
Longhorn, how effective is this and how many times can you recharge them?  The water pillows are very hit and miss on recharging even though they claim you can recharge them.
I have seen several talk on here about recharging them almost indefinitely without issues unless the paper outside gets damaged. I just started doing it and so far I have not had any problems. I put a rocks glass 1/2 full of distilled water in a gallon zip lock freezer bag and tossed the packs in around the glass and zipped it closed took about a week because they were toasted to rehydrate. Remember only put the same kind together or they will fight each other you don't want to put say a mix of 72 and 65 in together.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

vw77guy

Being winter, it's always a struggle to get the humi just right because there's let humidity in the air.  Sounds like the sticks could have been the culprit here and keep in mind that humidors usually run better at a minimum of 50% full (50 sticks in a 100 ct humi).  Be patient with it.  Humidity takes a little more time than temp.

Ted

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 1/21/2015  2:47 PM  
QuoteLonghorn - 1/21/2015  11:55 AM  Reading your original post, I'm wondering if your cigars were a little dry - e.g. they were taking up moisture when you switched to the Boveda packs.  You noted that the rH jumped when you removed the cigars.    Just a thought, but maybe your humidor is working just fine and your cigars need additional time - you'll need to keep fresh Boveda packs on hand until the humidor and cigars all stabilize at the desired rH. Boveda packs will eventually do that as they are a two way system.   EDIT:  In case you were unaware, you can recharge Boveda packs - just put the dry ones in a small, sealed container with distilled water (in a small cup). The Boveda pack will absorb moisture until it reaches a saturation point at the desired rH.
I have seen several talk on here about recharging them almost indefinitely without issues unless the paper outside gets damaged. I just started doing it and so far I have not had any problems. I put a rocks glass 1/2 full of distilled water in a gallon zip lock freezer bag and tossed the packs in around the glass and zipped it closed took about a week because they were toasted to rehydrate. Remember only put the same kind together or they will fight each other you don't want to put say a mix of 72 and 65 in together.

I use a marinade tupperware thing that has a grate for resting on. Left a few 65 packs in there for about a month and forgot about them. Turned into massive pillows.

The only problem I have with rehydrating Boveda packs is that they get so much fatter than their original size that they no longer fit in the Boveda holders.

Remodelx15

Isn't that an issue (maxing out the boveda)?  If it absorbs all it can, then when you put it back in use, it can only release moisture, it can't absorb if your humidity is too high.  Or am I missing something?
If you're not lucky, we can't use you.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

1029henry

You'd be better off just leaving your cigars in the Rubbermaid container with the Boveda packs. You will almost never have a change in the RH. Just my two cents.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

s+j

QuoteRemodelx15 - 1/21/2015  9:24 PM  Isn't that an issue (maxing out the boveda)?  If it absorbs all it can, then when you put it back in use, it can only release moisture, it can't absorb if your humidity is too high.  Or am I missing something?

Good point!

Based on my experience I think you basically want to re-hydrate them until they don't feel "grainy" any more.

Longhorn

They can be recharged almost indefinitely. Bovedas that have completely dried out can be recharged.  Just be sure that the outer shell is not leaking or damaged.

QuoteRemodelx15 - 1/22/2015  12:24 AM

Isn't that an issue (maxing out the boveda)?  If it absorbs all it can, then when you put it back in use, it can only release moisture, it can't absorb if your humidity is too high.  Or am I missing something?

Great point, if your humidity is too high.  Having a few on hand that are depleted for humid environments would be a good idea.

DonM

If you are still having problems with getting the humidor itself to the appropriate RH, I would recommend keeping the cigars in the tupperdor until the humidor stabilizes.  At that point, put the cigars back in a little at a time while maintaining the RH.  

The cigars themselves will influence the RH of the humidor until they are acclimated to the humidity which takes time and sometimes weeks.  

As stated earlier, desktops and small cabinets tend to hold their RH better when they are full

"The Curmudgeon"

LTCigarNut

I have not seen this heated distilled water method yet. I am going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.