New Cigar Enthusiast

Started by tdies, 01/24/2015 11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdies

I've tried cigars before and woke up the next day looking for a cheese grater to get the taste off my tongue!  However, on a recent trip to Key West, I stumbled (literally) into the Island Cigar Factory.  I chatted with the very kind Russian girl about my displeasure of many cigar tastes.  She recommended a few mild smokes for me.  I fell in love with one in particular.  It is a petite corona (Keep in mind, I'm new to the cigar world, so I may not be using the correct terminology - feel free to correct me so I can learn).  The cigar was a Cuban leaf cigar, 5" long, and about the size of a dime in diameter.  My wife went back the next day and surprised me by purchasing 7 more of them for me.  Cost was $45 for the 7.  Unfortunately, I don't know much else about the cigar and if it has a particular name, brand or which specific country the leaves came from...but wish I had more, or knew where to find something similar.  I've also read some reviews and understand the Island Cigar Factory is a bit pricey - makes sense because it is located right where cruise ships disembark.

Any guidance for a newbie is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Tommy

ntanner

Welcome to CG from New Mexico. Hang around here a while and you'll definitely learn about cigars, not to mention you're collection will grow.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

dwig

Welcome to the site from OK.

A quick look at Island Cigar Factory's website shows all the sticks they have available.

This one may be what you had:
http://islandcigarfactory.com/our-cigars/petite-cigars/petite-corona-conneticut-1-detail#.VMPxHf7F8so

Unfortunately, they don't give much detail other than size and wrapper type.

:confused:

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

benchjockey

Welcome from South Florida, Tommy.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cfickter

Welcome from Pittsburgh, here are three simple steps to help you now that you have joined
1. Buy a humidor
2. Buy a larger humidor
3. Buy an even larger humidor!

or you can avoid this and not talk to the enablers on this site, yes that is you Bruce
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

Kman

Welcome from PA!! Like you, I didn't know a whole lot about cigars before I got here. But in just the last 2 years, I've not only learned a lot but made a lot of great friends. Hang out and absorb it all.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

lubrix

Welcome!, Enjoy the site!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

johncw

QuoteCfickter - 1/24/2015  1:41 PM

Welcome from Pittsburgh, here are three simple steps to help you now that you have joined
1. Buy a humidor
2. Buy a larger humidor
3. Buy an even larger humidor!

or you can avoid this and not talk to the enablers on this site, yes that is you Bruce

X2

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it here.

Mojo66

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

bigjohn20081983

Quotejohncw - 1/24/2015  3:12 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 1/24/2015  1:41 PM  Welcome from Pittsburgh, here are three simple steps to help you now that you have joined  1. Buy a humidor 2. Buy a larger humidor 3. Buy an even larger humidor!  or you can avoid this and not talk to the enablers on this site, yes that is you Bruce
X2  Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it here.

x3    :word:  

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

vw77guy

Welcome to the site.  There's a wealth of knowledge around here.  Stick around and you'll definitely pick up a few things.  Sorry I don't know about your cigar or I'd help.

Longhorn

Vroomp

:welcome: to the site from Atlanta!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

toby2

RDF

Welcome from metro Detroit!  Great group here
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

SparklePony

Welcome, welcome.  First piece of advice: BUY A BIGGER HUMIDOR.  Get one three times larger than you think you need.  Trust me. Glad you're with us!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Camshaft83

:welcome: to CG. Enjoy the site and all it had to offer.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

appollo

welcome from Nova Scotia.Enjoy

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

Welcome from beeuutaful Buda, Texas!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

1029henry

Welcome, best group of cigar guys on the 'net. You'll be enhancing your cigar collection in no time, and learning lots of great info.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.