Blind Reviews??

Started by Caveman Steve, 03/01/2015 03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman Steve

Just reading the thread about the Feral Flying Pig upcoming review, which I very much hope to participate in.  Anyway, on the same thread, there also was mention of a Gurkha review later in the year which could be interesting to say the least given Gurkhas underwhelming reputation on this site. 

As much as any two cigars could be, these two stogies are on opposite ends of our Geek Enjoyment Meter (GEM)

I'm Curious.

Have blind reviews ever been performed as part of the Geek Critique system.  Since we know what we are smoking, we may have a preconceived notion of the quality of a particular cigar.  We might think we are being objective, but I'm not really sure if we are completely.

I wonder if the occasional blind review might be fun. (and possibly embarrassing!!) 

:biggrin:  

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Longhorn

Heh.  I'm pretty sure I could pick the Flying Feral Pig in blind line up! :biggrin:

There is a pass, usually once a year, where the recipients get three cigars sent without labels.  Each of the three comes from a different price range and in addition to picking the right price, you guess the vitola.  A lot of fun!

StogieDad

Brads talking about the Round Robin pass.  Really fun and really challenges what you think you know!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

a blind pass would be interesting,
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

SenorPablo

That's a great idea, especially with the stigma of a Gurkha.  I did one years ago with the 5 Vegas Series A, just because it was a relatively inexpensive cigar and I didn't want that to affect the opinion.  It was fun, but I kind of f'd it up with turning it into a contest where you had to guess what it was, which dragged it out.  This was way back before we even had the Geek Critique and really was where the geek critique evolved from as we did these from time to time.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=1333.0

-Paul

Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

jharrisx5

There is pretty cool site that does all blind reviews...

Blindmanspuff.com

I do reviews for them and find it to be a really cool forum...
Puff Puff Give....

McBryde

Paul, is there a way to even do a critique without first putting in the cigar name and maker? Just curious, this could be fun.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

sar127

What happened to the Round Robin for Winter 2015? Sure missed out on that this year.

I was just reading through last year's thread. If anyone else is interested: Link

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

nirab

who's gonna run it this year? this is a great pass, I hope someone puts it out there.  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

SenorPablo

QuoteMcBryde - 3/1/2015  11:28 PM

Paul, is there a way to even do a critique without first putting in the cigar name and maker? Just curious, this could be fun.

E

No.  You would have to pick a Cigar to enter them all under.  Then we would change them to the real cigar after it was done.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

sar127

I know it's  nwb and Mike.casey's pass but I'd  be willing to host it if needed. I'd rather play but I was planning on hosting a blind pass after March Madness anyway so let me know!
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

junglepete

we've done some blind tasting here in a variety of ways over the years: contests, passes, regular reviews etc. A Geek Critique would be nice to do a blind tasting with...I sure we could convince on of the slated member sponsors to make there sponsorship blind.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Caveman Steve

Cool.  We should make it clear however that no Pineapple White Owls will be tolerated...............just Grape.

:biggrin:  

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Beegerply

The first Geek Critique I did was a blind review of the Oliva Cain F done on 4/18/10 sponsored by Don M it was fun to do.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.