My New Ashtray

Started by ninfiction, 03/01/2015 04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

One of the guys that is local to me that I herf with occasionally is pretty talented when it comes to wood. He and I put together a trade, he would make me an ashtray and I would give him some cigars.

It's clear by the awesomeness of the ashtray he made that I came out on top.

Everything is hand carved and sanded and he finished it with some oils and a nice lacquer finish.

edit, will have to figure another way to add picks...give me a minute

This is not the admin you're looking for...

bigjohn20081983

Nice ashtray. I have been eyeballing the xikar ash cans myself
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Longhorn

Brian, that's gorgeous!

johncw

Very cool looking.

appollo

Very nice .Do you know what type of wood it is.

Caveman Steve

Quoteappollo - 3/1/2015  8:27 PM  Very nice .Do you know what type of wood it is.

Looks to me like a block of Walnut, but not positive.  Very nice piece.

I wonder how well a wooden ash tray will wear (BURN!) over time   :?:

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

mountainsmoker

benchjockey

That is one good looking ashtray.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ebernabe

Beautiful ashtray.

bmac7754

That is a nice looking ashtray man. I too wonder how a wooden ashtray hold up over time. Anybody use one that knows.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

ntanner

Quotebmac7754 - 3/1/2015  7:37 PM

That is a nice looking ashtray man. I too wonder how a wooden ashtray hold up over time. Anybody use one that knows.
I have a single cigar ash tray that has a thin metal strip in the channel for the cigar but the ash cup is un protected other then the finish and I have been using it fairly regularly for a couple years with out any issues other then some darkening were the channel enters the cup which to me just add's to the character.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

McBryde

Yep, looks like black walnut to me. Pretty ash tray. One of these days when they get our house built and I get all my woodworking tools out of the pods, I plan on making some cigar holders, and some ash trays, as well as pens with cigar bands on them. Oh.... one of these days!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

ninfiction

I'm not sure what type of wood it is, he said he cut down a tree in his yard. I know there are a lot of black walnut trees up here so that is very possible.

He finishes them with a couple coats of oil and 2 coats of some kind of sealer, I think that unless I put a real flame or something to it it should hold up really good...we shall find out!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

sjn1117

That looks great man.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

McBryde

Quoteninfiction - 3/1/2015  9:58 PM

I'm not sure what type of wood it is, he said he cut down a tree in his yard. I know there are a lot of black walnut trees up here so that is very possible.

He finishes them with a couple coats of oil and 2 coats of some kind of sealer, I think that unless I put a real flame or something to it it should hold up really good...we shall find out!

It looks like he used some sort of oil to finish it, not making it too glossy like a varnish, but giving it a dull sheen. Probably something like boiled linseed oil or tung oil.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

DonM

Nice looking for sure!

"The Curmudgeon"

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nirab

That is beeuutaful!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Kevin48438

"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

cavenbk

That's beautiful.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

shakinghorizons

Beautiful! I would have a hard time ashing in there though, lol

toby2

i love the handmade look. he didn't try and make it too perfect.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.