Avallo Accumonitor Vs Aristocrat Set It / Forget It

Started by J.P from PA, 03/04/2015 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.P from PA

Recently purchased a used 5000 capacity humidor and looking for a better humidification system.  Currently using a Moist n Aire on a timer and it's holding between 66 and 70% which comes on every 6 hours for 45 minutes.  With that said it drops as low as 66 and goes up as high as 70%.
I've been looking into the Avallo Accumonitor and the Aristocrat Set it / Forget it or perhaps there is something else out there to consider?
From what I've read both are good systems, priced about the same.
Opinions / feedback would be appreciated especially if you have first hand knowledge with these or something else suggested for a cabinet this size.

Thank you!

nirab

I'd say you should install some fans, and forget about it! Holding 66-70% is more than acceptable. Personally, out here in Texas, I prefer to keep my cigars in the 62-65% range. From what I understand, anything in the 60-70% is fine, and your cigars will love you for taking such good care of them.  :biggrin:  :angel:

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Longhorn

If your humidity is holding between 66 and 70% why not add a switchable hygrometer instead of replacing the humidifier?  

I did this with my Moist-n-Aire... the hygrometer powers the humidifier on at the desirable set point.  Keeps my humidor at 68%.

cavenbk

QuoteLonghorn - 3/4/2015 6:59 PM If your humidity is holding between 66 and 70% why not add a switchable hygrometer instead of replacing the humidifier? I did this with my Moist-n-Aire... the hygrometer powers the humidifier on at the desirable set point. Keeps my humidor at 68%.

Sounds like a good option to me. I know I try to keep my humis around 65-67 ish.... so 66-70 is more than acceptable in my opinion

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

bigjohn20081983

Like the others have already said that level is good with just about everyone. Add some fans on a timer and maybe the Hygrometer as Longhorn has suggested and I feel you will be more than happy with the results.   Also just out or curiosity when was the last time you salt tested the Hygrometer just to make sure you are getting a true reading.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

J.P from PA

Thanks for your replies.
 Bigjohn I never salt tested the hygrometers however they are new and I have two different ones which are within  (+ -) 1 or 2 of each other.  Perhaps they should still be tested...
Adding a fan or two on a timer would be easy.  Longhorn not familiar with a switchable hygrometer?  Is that's a hygrometer that my Moiste-n-Aire would plug into turning it on and off at set humidity instead of the timer it's plugged into?
If so can you or anyone give me a name brand or specific switchable hygrometer and where to purchase it.  I would guess that would be more economical than the two I've mentioned which are about $400.
Again - Thank you!  I'm new to this and learning!

Longhorn

QuoteJ.P from PA - 3/5/2015  12:37 PM

Longhorn not familiar with a switchable hygrometer?  Is that's a hygrometer that my Moiste-n-Aire would plug into turning it on and off at set humidity instead of the timer it's plugged into?
If so can you or anyone give me a name brand or specific switchable hygrometer and where to purchase it.  I would guess that would be more economical than the two I've mentioned which are about $400.

Correct.  Just be sure to buy the right "switch" - e.g. switch powers when humidity falls.

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-1UHG3-Humidifier-Control-Plug/dp/B001OLVNUK/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KP42HAQ2K6AKR0M59VP

or for an accurate analog one with both switches...

http://www.amazon.com/HUM-1-Hydroponic-Humidity-Dehumidifier-Controller/dp/B004CMOFBC/ref=sr_1_23?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1425579823&sr=1-23&keywords=Humidity+controller

BTW, your Moist-n-Aire has an analog hygrometer.  It takes a little fiddling to get it set, but it works OK.  I added the model in the second link to mine as I wanted a little more accuracy.

J.P from PA

Longhorn
Thank you for the information.  Since I only want it for humidification I think I'm going to go with the first one you mentioned which has good ratings.

I tried fiddling with the Mosit-n Aire but can't seen to get it!
Thanks again for your time and helping me in this matter!!

bigjohn20081983

QuoteJ.P from PA - 3/5/2015  12:37 PM  Thanks for your replies.   Bigjohn I never salt tested the hygrometers however they are new and I have two different ones which are within  (+ -) 1 or 2 of each other.  Perhaps they should still be tested... Adding a fan or two on a timer would be easy.  Longhorn not familiar with a switchable hygrometer?  Is that's a hygrometer that my Moiste-n-Aire would plug into turning it on and off at set humidity instead of the timer it's plugged into? If so can you or anyone give me a name brand or specific switchable hygrometer and where to purchase it.  I would guess that would be more economical than the two I've mentioned which are about $400. Again - Thank you!  I'm new to this and learning!

I would still test them myself. It can't hurt anything if done right in my opinion. There is a whole article on here about it I believe. If you don't want to do the salt test they sell a calibration kit for well under $15 that is supposed to be a perfect 75.5% which some gauges read at 75 others 76

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.