headache after having a cigar

Started by freakydeakydutchman, 03/26/2015 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakydeakydutchman

So here's the story,
Last night was a beautiful night. No wind. +3c outside wife, kid asleep, I went outside with a coffee and an uppercut corona. It was a very nice time. Me, the stars and my new best friend made by punch cigars. However somewhere along the way, we must of disagreed about something, because near the end. I got a raging headache and had to go inside for some Advil. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not prone to headaches and this was a bad one. Also this was the first time I have had a cigar since the spring started. I didn't have it on an empty stomach. I learn that lesson the hard way and then only once.
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

1029henry

I usually only have a headache if I skip my evening cigar  :biggrin:
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Rebecca Silverwolf

Just going to take a wild guess and say it might be that the smoke irritated your eyes/sinuses, which may have lead to a headache. (Where in your head was the pain located?) Since it sounds like it's been awhile since you have been able to enjoy a cigar, you might not be accustomed to the smoke in the environment.

Second guess would be the nicotine combined with the caffeine. Both are stimulants and mild vasoconstrictors. Vasoconstriction in the head could lead to a pretty bad headache, as could increased blood pressure. The other possibility on this would be the stimulants leading to muscle tension which could cause a tension headache.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

freakydeakydutchman

It was located mainly in the back of my head. and it was not nice. so if I had a defac coffee, would have that helped in not getting one?
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

Cigary

Sometimes we just get headaches for different reasons...hard to give you an adequate reason except to say watch out in the future to see if this repeats itself.  If it does ask your doctor and tell them how it came about...what you were doing or eating, etc.  Nicotine can do some weird stuff to the body and we all react in different ways.

NebNorse

Sounds like what happens to me if I have a strong cigar with coffee.  I use it as an excuse to keep several bottles of fine liqueur in the house.  

:cheers:  :singing:
"I'll come back as soon as I can with as much as I can. In the meantime, you've got to hold!" - As spoken to General Wainright by General MacArthur in March of 1942

My Cigar smells better than YOUR FEEDLOT!

appollo

Sometimes I get them when I smoke a fuller strength stick on an empty stomach.

sar127

If it's a nicotine buzz, sugar counteracts it. Try candy or soda next time. But first step is to always eat before smoking a cigar if your not used to it. 
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Cfickter

Quote1029henry - 3/26/2015 2:33 PM I usually only have a headache if I skip my evening cigar :biggrin:

:bigthumbs:
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Mojo66

I've been suffering from the same terrible headache for 18 months now and the jury is still out to try to understand why. Never suffered headaches in my life before that and neither did smoking induce such a thing. But one thing I can tell you is that smoking makes it worst. Whenever and whatever I smoke now drastically increases the headache. What I do is take stronger pills so that I can still enjoy my cigars, at least for now.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

BewareDaPenguin

Occasionally happens to me, I think mostly when I inhale large amounts of smoke, not necessarily on purpose just happens.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

bmac7754

QuoteMojo66 - 3/26/2015  5:41 PM  I've been suffering from the same terrible headache for 18 months now and the jury is still out to try to understand why. Never suffered headaches in my life before that and neither did smoking induce such a thing. But one thing I can tell you is that smoking makes it worst. Whenever and whatever I smoke now drastically increases the headache. What I do is take stronger pills so that I can still enjoy my cigars, at least for now.

I too suffer from constant headaches for the last year or so which occasionally turn into massive migraines. You may want to see a ENT doctor and get checked out. For me it turned into a constant ringing in the ears which is known to drive people crazy, but was found to be the result of a deviated septum.  This puts pressure in the sinus area which causes my hearing tones. Just a thought bro. I never noticed it because I'm a mouth breather and don't breath through my nose that much, but when I smoke a cigarette or cigar and exhale though the nose it only comes out one side. 

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

bigjohn20081983

Quotebmac7754 - 3/26/2015  10:10 PM  

QuoteMojo66 - 3/26/2015  5:41 PM  I've been suffering from the same terrible headache for 18 months now and the jury is still out to try to understand why. Never suffered headaches in my life before that and neither did smoking induce such a thing. But one thing I can tell you is that smoking makes it worst. Whenever and whatever I smoke now drastically increases the headache. What I do is take stronger pills so that I can still enjoy my cigars, at least for now.

I too suffer from constant headaches for the last year or so which occasionally turn into massive migraines. You may want to see a ENT doctor and get checked out. For me it turned into a constant ringing in the ears which is known to drive people crazy, but was found to be the result of a deviated septum.  This puts pressure in the sinus area which causes my hearing tones. Just a thought bro. I never noticed it because I'm a mouth breather and don't breath through my nose that much, but when I smoke a cigarette or cigar and exhale though the nose it only comes out one side. 

Crazy you mentioned this I do the same thing and never thought much about it and have of the other issues you mentioned.

I dont tend to get many headaches when smoking but I do tend to get a headrush from time to time drinking a Dr. Pepper with the cigar helps or some hard candy helps also

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

The Burn Ward

Quote1029henry - 3/26/2015  2:33 PM

I usually only have a headache if I skip my evening cigar  :biggrin:

X2 :biggrin:

nkowal

I don't tend to get headaches during smoking, but sometimes get them after. I suffer from migraines, so if I'm even close to feeling like I might have a headache I won't smoke or drink (major bummer) for fear of it getting worse.

Another thought - you mention it was nice out. Was there a significant change in weather that day? I get headaches (non-migraine) tied to changes in the weather, usually a significant barometric change will trigger a headache for me. If something like that happens to you, the smoke could have amplified it.

DonM

I wish you well in finding out what caused it.

I am no help, the only headache I get while smoking a cigar is if I drank too damn much Rum while partaking of the cigar :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

Willamar

Is it true that cannabis can help you handling with migraine? I have been reading some articles regarding about this so i would know how can i handle with my sever migraine. All i know is that marijuana can give you a chill and relaxing vibe like this one from https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/black-widow/ .. Is there anyone here that can give me any idea about this? Any advice would be appreciated

Brlesq

QuoteWillamar - 1/18/2018  9:21 PM

Is it true that cannabis can help you handling with migraine? I have been reading some articles regarding about this so i would know how can i handle with my sever migraine. All i know is that marijuana can give you a chill and relaxing vibe like this one from https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/black-widow/ .. Is there anyone here that can give me any idea about this? Any advice would be appreciated

:spamcan:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Deener27

QuoteWillamar - 1/18/2018  8:21 PM

The only chill and relaxing vibe I want is a good cigar and some whisky.  Be went, spammer! :spammer:

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cfickter

What usually happens is, I have a cigar, crawl in bed and my wife has a headache!

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Cfickter

What usually happens is, I have a cigar, crawl in bed and my wife has a headache!

johncw

LOL I started reading this and I thought to myself. Wow some old geeks who I haven't seen in a long time are back.

CoreyMacLeod

I get the same sometimes.  I've found it usually happens when I smoke and haven't eaten anything in a long time.
No Signature Necessary.

klamm143

Quote1029henry - 3/26/2015  12:33 PM  I usually only have a headache if I skip my evening cigar  :biggrin:
..........same here.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

vw77guy

I used to get headaches every Saturday I worked at the cigar shop.  12 hours of being in a smokey environment I figured.  Probably some oxygen deprivation.  I'll get one every once in a while with a strong cigar or something like that, but those Saturdays... I know how you feel.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.