Cigar tasting

Started by Caveman Steve, 04/19/2015 07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman Steve

Will be attending a cigar tasting at my local B & M on Tuesday evening.  I t will be hosted/led by Jose' Blanco.  For $30 we get 3 "Senorial" cigars and are given a tasting cigar to smoke with 4 different wrappers on it.  Really looking forward to it.  Anybody ever do one of these?
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

SparklePony

No, but that sounds awesome.  I wanna hear all about it when you're done!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

DonM

The Senioral is on my list of cigars I need to try. Let us know how it went!

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

Sounds like a great time. Enjoy :smoker:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

PETE314

That sounds like a good time.
I once attended a Davidoff tasting...we were given 4 cigars.  3 of those were examples of the tobacco in their blend.  So basically they are meant to show you how each leaf type hits your palette.  They are not meant for enjoyment...LOL....But it was really neat to see how the one hit the salty part of your palette and another hitting the bitter, etc.  and then the 4th cigar was the 3 tobaccos together as a blend and you could see how they all came together....(Now that one was enjoyable...)  we actually got a 5th which was the same cigar as the 4th but with their Jalapa wrapper...(the same one as on the Gran Puro's)  And that was actually my favorite.  They don't make that cigar for sale obviously...it was just to show you how the change in wrapper can change the flavor as well.  We got a lot of cool gear and accessories...and a lot of cigars from the shop as well...a great discount on Davidoff (which with their prices is definitely needed...lol)  All in all a great time.....

I think it will be really neat to try all of those with the different wrappers...Have fun..grab all the loot you can!!!!!
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

appollo

BewareDaPenguin

No, but it sounds like a good time, enjoy!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Longhorn

We just had a launch party and cigar tasting for a new cigar at my B&M!

You'll have a great time!   :thumbsup:

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Caveman Steve

Had a great time with Jose Blanco.

He is a very engaging, passionate man.

This was the cigar we tasted.  It actually has 5 different wrappers, 4 of which we smoked through.  He has only 2 rollers that can produce this cigar and they can only roll 20 per day.  A very difficult roll.

#1  Sumatra

#2  Connecticut (Ecuador)

#3  San Andreas (Mexico)

#4  Habana (Ecuador)

He did have a few words of wisdom to share.

1)  Slow down!  Many of us (myself included) smoke too fast.  He said a 5 X 50 robusto should take an hour to smoke.  45 minutes should be the minimum.

2)  JOIN THE CRA!!  His analogy was the NRA.  They are as powerful as they are because of their membership numbers.  Of the millions of cigar smokers in the USA, only 30 some thousand are CRA members.  The time is now

If ever given the opportunity, I highly recommend doing a tasting like this.  It really does help to see the impact that the wrapper has on the flavor of a cigar. 

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

johncw

Sounds really cool Steve. Would love to do one sometime.

StogieDad

They were doing a virtual one on the CigarFederation Store, but I bet that is really cool in person.  Will have ot do that one day.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ntanner

Sounds like a great event.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

Sounds like a blast, which we had something like that up here
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Vroomp

Looks like fun. Sad I missed his visit here.... :-(
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

DonM

I follow Jose on FB, you can tell he is a top notch guy

"The Curmudgeon"

sar127

I haven't been but I saw this video of what looks like the same event.  Looks great, enjoy! YouTube Blanco Seminar
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

ebernabe

Glad you had a great time.  From what I've read and heard, Jose Blanco is a really great guy.

toby2

Camshaft83

Sounds like a great time.  Going to have to drop a hint to some of the B&Ms I go to.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

MacMac

Hi,
I've never been to a tasting! It sounds great. I agree about slowing down when smoking. I always seem to smoke faster when I smoke alone. I know, for me, when I smoke too fast, the last 1/3 of the cigar is not as good as when I smoke slowly.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.