Cigars in ziplocks

Started by Kjoygard, 04/28/2015 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjoygard

Bought some cigars last friday (Nicarao especial hermoso) and didn't have the opportunity to smoke them during the weekend. Now I'm saving them for this friday. How long will they keep in a regular ziplock bag outside a humidor?

A camel is a horse designed by a Committee...

headfirst

Do you have any water pillows?  I have stored cigars fairly long term in ziplocks that way, seems to hold the humidity just fine.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Kjoygard

No, but I could pick some up. Can they go in a ziplock?

Thanks for responding!

StogieDad

In a pinch you could stick a damp paper towel in the bag, not touching the cigars obviously, to prevent drying them out.  Not ideal, but it would do.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Kjoygard

Can the water pillows come into contact with the cigars?

horrido

QuoteKjoygard - 4/28/2015  2:23 PM

Can the water pillows come into contact with the cigars?

Just don't have the water pillow over filled it tells you how many seconds to emerse it in distilled water. Also, wipe off any excess water I usually roll it in a paper towel a few times and put it in the bag, tupperware, herfador. Hope this helps. I do this alot when in the bush with a backpack so far so good.

:-)
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Cigary

Quotehorrido - 4/28/2015  4:43 PM  
QuoteKjoygard - 4/28/2015  2:23 PM  Can the water pillows come into contact with the cigars?
Just don't have the water pillow over filled it tells you how many seconds to emerse it in distilled water. Also, wipe off any excess water I usually roll it in a paper towel a few times and put it in the bag, tupperware, herfador. Hope this helps. I do this alot when in the bush with a backpack so far so good.   :-)

I do this exactly...water pillows and cigar can conceivably keep your cigars where you want them RH speaking but it's not the best way to store cigars because it just takes so much maintenance to keep them.  But for trips and things like that they work great.

headfirst

If the cigars have cello I don't see the problem of having the water pillow (which is usually inside a plastic pouch with a few holes) in contact with the cello.  You'd be surprised how long you can maintain the humidity that way.  I've also done the small black ice pie jars in ziplock as well, works fine.

Like others have said, not ideal, but it works long term if you check it once or twice a month.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Cfickter

For a few days a zip lock bag is fine.  Like Michael suggested using a lightly moist paper towel.  Also do not store in a car or in direct heat or sunlight.  this may cause condensation in the bag and quickly ruin your cigars.  Remember a zip lock will not protect them from being crushed also
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Vroomp

A few days in a Ziplock™ won't change the RH of your sticks but I don't trust those nasty water pillows as they can leak slimey juice onto your sticks!!!!! :-0
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

05Venturer

QuoteVroomp - 4/28/2015  4:37 PM

A few days in a Ziplock™ won't change the RH of your sticks but I don't trust those nasty water pillows as they can leak slimey juice onto your sticks!!!!! :-0

x2. I prefer a small Boveda pack
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

headfirst

Quote05Venturer - 4/28/2015  2:45 PM

QuoteVroomp - 4/28/2015  4:37 PM

Good to know, thanks.
-Charles Spurgeon

bigjohn20081983

Quote05Venturer - 4/28/2015  5:45 PM  
QuoteVroomp - 4/28/2015  4:37 PM  A few days in a Ziplock™ won't change the RH of your sticks but I don't trust those nasty water pillows as they can leak slimey juice onto your sticks!!!!! :-0

:word:   I agree I prefer the small Boveda packs also.  

Also it's nice now that I know I can rehydrate the Boveda packs I don't have to invest in them as often. 

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

Zipploc and Boveda, that's what my first couple humidors were. A 69 Boveda and a 1 gallon Zipploc will keep a dozen cigars in good working order for several weeks.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

What they said, with Bovedas, am not a fan of the water pillow as I've seen them spill slime.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Kjoygard

Super, thanks! My local shop sells Bovedapacks in 62, 65, 69 and 72%. Any recommandations?

bigjohn20081983

QuoteKjoygard - 4/29/2015  5:44 AM  Super, thanks! My local shop sells Bovedapacks in 62, 65, 69 and 72%. Any recommendations?

I like the 65 or 69 ones  just remember don't put 2 together that are not the same they will work against each other.

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

65 or 69 should work well for you.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nirab

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 4/29/2015  5:27 AM

QuoteKjoygard - 4/29/2015  5:44 AM  Super, thanks! My local shop sells Bovedapacks in 62, 65, 69 and 72%. Any recommendations?

I like the 65 or 69 ones  just remember don't put 2 together that are not the same they will work against each other.

I've used 69% and 72% packs together without any issues with keeping humidity right where I like it... :shades:  :confused:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

bigjohn20081983

Quotenirab - 4/29/2015  9:23 AM  
Quotebigjohn20081983 - 4/29/2015  5:27 AM  

I've used 69% and 72% packs together without any issues with keeping humidity right where I like it... :shades:  :confused:

The reason I said that is it says on the Boveda website "Remember, Boveda  Humidity Packs are bi-directional, they will actually remove moisture  from a humidor that is too moist and then maintain the relative humidity  that you choose."  which to me means if you have to different % ones together one is going to pull from the other because it is acting as there is a higher level than it is made for.  Never rally gave more thought to it than that but at some point the do have no level out now that you have me thinking about it.

Aldous Huxley

Raul Julia

MacMac

Hi,
You can get a small cap (like a bottle cap), put a little sponge in it and dampen the sponge w/ distilled water or "juice". Put the cap w/ moist sponge in the ziplock bag and you've got a good short term humidor.
I make my own juice w/ 50% distilled water and 50% propylene glycol.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.