I Thought I was Doing OK........

Started by pegger, 04/30/2015 06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegger

Let me apologize before I ask the question because I am sure it is a variation of one asked a thousand times before........ I am relatively new to the world of cigars and may have been somewhat overzealous in my acquisition of them. I remember posting several months ago about acquiring a shiny new 50 ct humi and telling all the folks that suggested that wasn't big enough that I was sure I wouldn't need anything bigger. Ha. So I now run a 50 ct humi a 50q cooler and I am in the process of seasoning a recently acquired 150ct.  I run Heartfelt 65% beads in all units...... And for the most part, except when I re-activate the beads I have been holding between 66% and 68%.

The RH in my home town is currently around 45%

Recently, when I remove a cigar from the 50 ct, doesn't seem to matter which cigar, all are NC, during the smoke the wrapper cracks. :cry:

This has just begun and there doesn't seem to be a pattern of time in storage although nothing has been in this box longer than 3 months.

Hoping someone has a recommendation, suggestion, etc.....

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long winded post.

GB

Mojo66

Are you confident your hygrometer's readings are accurate? Maybe salt testing would give you peace f mind. Wrapper cracking happens (in my experience) often when the sticks are overhumidified, maybe it's running a bit high in that humidor. Usually doesn't happen when using heartfelt beads.

Other than that, I can't tell you anything besides maybe a fluke or coincidence but I a m not a strong believer that coincidences actually exist :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Newbhunter

Cracked wrapper = overhumidified (in most cases for me anyways)...
I would recommend the salt test on your hyrgo to ensure its accurate and adjust your RH from there...

bigjohn20081983

Sounds like you may have to much humidity.  How often to you open your storage containers to let fresh air in?  Try taking one out of storage and let it sit out in the open for a few hours then smoke it and see what happens.  When I was running 72% boveda packs I had cigars keep doing that then I switched to the 69 ones because I can get them local and it started happening less often I am planning on going to the 65 next. If I let the cigar sit out a little while before I smoked it I found I was running into less issues. I still don't fully understand why.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Cigary

I'm with the other guys....cracked wrapper tells me...like the rent....too damn high.  One cigar tends to be something I'd not worry about but then it's several then it's gotta be the RH.  Have your cigars been in the humidor for very long....how long?  If they have been in there for several weeks then they should have acclimated to the environment inside your humidor and the beads should have authenticated the number you are saying except the number and the cracked wrappers don't agree.  Start with calibrating your hygro with a salt test...then from there you'll have a better indicator as to what to do next.  Keep us posted.

Jackal

Cracks can happen if the cigars are under humidified (dry wrapper will give you a cracked wrapper, usually in handling) or in an unevenly humidified cigar.  If the cigar has "wet" patches, places in the filler or binder being at a higher humidity than the wrapper, then the cigar will swell and the wrapper will burst during smoking as the water vaporizes and migrates to the outside of the cigar.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nkowal

does it only happen in the 50 ct?

I've had this happen to me in spring a few times when I take one out and smoke it right away. I've now started taking them out a while before I smoke them, and it took care of my problem. It stops happening once it gets into summer months for me.

Not sure the science behind it...

ntanner

I agree with every one else, RH is off.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

MacMac

I've never tried any beads or humidity packs. I have two rectangle humidifiers in my humidor and I use a mix of 50% distilled water and 50% propylene glycol. My humidor holds at 75% constantly.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.