Unraveling wrappers in humidor

Started by headfirst, 05/01/2015 05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

So I'm seeing the wrapper leaf sortof loosen up on a couple cigars lately.  In one case I'm seeing a little gape in the wrapper seams near the foot.  In another case (in another humidor) I'm noticing the wrapper beginning to unravel in one spot from the middle of the stick.  It's not happening widespread as best I can tell but still may be an indicator of something.

These humidors are at work so I'm guessing that the uneven temperatures of when the AC is running and when it's not may be doing something.  I'm pretty diligent on keeping the humidification charged and the RH is usually somewhere in the low to mid 60's.

Any thoughts?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

junglepete

Are they being moved around a lot without the cello protection? Are the hygrometers properly calibrated? The AC should not affect the cigars if they are in a humidor. I am in an AC environment 247 and my humidors are not affected.

Perhaps over humidified?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

sjn1117

I'm not scientist but if there is a lot of fluctuation in RH and temp I could see problems arising. Can you get them to a more stable environment?
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

kuke

My guess would be too much humidity.  Do a calibration test.

Ken Kelley

Yup! Sounds like your hoomidity might be off on the high side.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

DonM

My 500 ct humidor sits right under an AC vent to keep the temp down in the summer and I have no problems.  It does sound like an RH problem though, check those hygrometers

"The Curmudgeon"

headfirst

Thanks everyone, I'll double check the hygrometers.

In the meantime I'm moving the best of what I have to my humis at home where the temp will be more stable in general.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

sjn1117

Stability brother with a capital S.... :biggrin:
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

headfirst

Yep, I'm moving my best ones home before summer hits!
-Charles Spurgeon

Longhorn

When I read your original post, I was thinking a little differently than some of the others.  I think a wrapper that is coming loose while sitting idle in a humidor is a sign of too little humidity. The "glue" used to seal the wrapper has dried to a point where it doesn't hold the wrapper in place.

While low to mid 60's% rH should be fine, it may be a case where your hygrometer is reporting higher than actual levels.

Also, I have found cigars with thin wrappers (Oliva Melanios, as an example) require a little higher humidity to ensure the wrappers don't crack or peel.

Mojo66

I'm in with the too dry theory. Happens to some of mine sometimes and they usually are a little dry for the liking of thinner, more fragile wrappers. I find Cameroons tend to do that more.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

headfirst

Hmm, that would make some sense that the glue dries and loses its' bond.  I'll double check those hygrometers with a digital...one of the sticks was a natural wrapper (EPC INCH) and had no cello, the other was a RP Vintage '90 or '92, also no cello I believe.
-Charles Spurgeon

MacMac

Hi,
I agree with the high humidity theory more than the dry one. I think high humidly could cause the seams to break down and loosen.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

headfirst

Looks like the answer is the humidity is too low.  The analog is reading 3-5% higher than the digital...digital is reading 59%.  I guess over time those analogs lose accuracy...
-Charles Spurgeon

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.