Spongy Cigars

Started by Whiskeyrunner, 05/05/2015 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskeyrunner

Hey fellows ......... reached in the humidor and pulled out some sticks that feel spongy.  Not all of them but a few.  Is there a way to " dry' them out? I use the 75% Boveda packs (3) in my 100 ct humidor and the hygrometer usually reads between 65-68%.

Thanks
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Teddy Roosevelt

StogieDad

Are these particular cigars close to or directly touching the packs?  May need to rotate stuff around occasionally in the humi.

Be careful of "drying" out any cigar, as a rapid change in humidity could cause a lot of issues, namely wrapper cracking or swelling if the wrapper dries faster than the inside.  Maybe move them away from the Boveda and let them sit for a good bit and see if that helps.  If not, I would check your hygrometer to make sure you are getting an accurate reading.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Mojo66

75% is quite high, I agree with Michael that if one of those high RH Bovedas touches or is real close to some sticks these would be very humidified.

I'm surprised your humidor reads so low with 3 packs in. Is your hygrometer calibrated, it's possibly showing significantly lower numbers than reality.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Whiskeyrunner

I actually run 72 in the humidor as I never got readings above 62 with the Bovedas.

The hydrometer is calibrated per instructions.

I will make an effort to keep the sticks in a different location in the humidor.

Teddy Roosevelt

ninfiction

I would maybe go with a greater number of lower rh packs, like 5 - 65rh...or more. If you're only reading 65-68% those 75% packs are working overtime.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Jackal

Just remember that the hygrometer only reads the humidity at its location.  Corners and other low flow zones can trap moisture, resulting in pockets of higher humidity.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Some solid tips given. If you have one drop in another hygrometer to see if you the same reading
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

sjn1117

Just curious, but what does the humidity typically run where you live. Outside of a humidor I mean. :biggrin:
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Jay'D

QuoteMojo66 - 5/5/2015  9:47 AM

75% is quite high, I agree with Michael that if one of those high RH Bovedas touches or is real close to some sticks these would be very humidified.

I'm surprised your humidor reads so low with 3 packs in. Is your hygrometer calibrated, it's possibly showing significantly lower numbers than reality.

I agress with the above, that just does not sound right.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Whiskeyrunner

Ellicott City ..........Fall/Winter 26%+/- ........... Spring Summer 50%-100%

Teddy Roosevelt

ntanner

So youre humidity is on the up swing in youre area. May need to reduce the amount of humidification devices. I have to put the lid on a jell jar on occasion, say during the monsoon season when the over all humidity rises in my area.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

my tupperdor hygrometers always read within 1-2% of the Bovedas. hygro check or possibly more bovedas should be the plae to start IMO.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Jay'D

I've had this issue as well, some are a little on the spongy side and others are firm but they are mixed up in between. I recently had to toss a house blend I tried to smoke the other day, barely stayed lit and you could hear the leaves crackling inside when you squeezed the body. I'm hoping this only occured because it was a house blend and was of poor construction and the other sticks in the humi don't suffer the same fate.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Longhorn

Try dry boxing the cigars - takes about 48-72 hours, but should get the affected sticks back to a normal level.

sar127

If 75% Bovedas are reading 65%, there's definitely something wrong with either your hygro or your humi as Bovedas are practically foolproof. If 3-4 Boveda packs in a 100ct humi lasts 4-6 months, your humi is more than likely fine and its ur hygro thats off. Tracking the time Bovedas last is better than freaking out weekly over inaccurate hygros in my opinion, so just throw the damn thing out!  :biggrin:

To slowly but cheaply drop the humidity in there, try throwing in just one 72% pack till it dries, should be about 2-3 weeks. Then you can throw in your 3-4 70%, or repeat the process down to 69 or 65 or whatever you want. 

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

hebron

Quote05Venturer - 5/7/2015  12:25 AM

my tupperdor hygrometers always read within 1-2% of the Bovedas. hygro check or possibly more bovedas should be the plae to start IMO.
Same here.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

DonM

I would try reducing the boveda packs you are using and see where the RH is from there. You may be using too many which will over humidify and your cigars will soak it up. I use beads and have 1/2 hydrated and the others dry to stabilize the humidor to the correct RH. Worth a try anyway. I like my RH @ 65 % personally

"The Curmudgeon"

MacMac

I like these problem solving threads. I'm learning a lot from threads like this. Sorry whiskyrunner had the problem but havering problems discussed here sure is helping me as a new cigar smoker.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

nirab

Calibrate the hygrometer, and then take the Boveda packs out. Monitor the readings daily, and maybe a week later, put the pack back in. I'd also suggest the 69% packs. Here in Texas, the humidity can go up and down fast, especially in the summer. If that causes my humidor to go up and down a few ticks, I'm still within what I consider the "sweet spot" humidity levels of between 62-65%. I find 70% is too much moisture, so I am happy as long as the humidor is anywhere from 60-65%. Just my 2 cents!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

horrido

I use a couple of hygrometers sometimes to see where the humity is in my cases I have found differences in the levels at varying heights and try to adjust accordingly. I have to agree with jacket there are pockets and others have mentioned move your sticks around which is very useful to get rid of sponges. Good luck.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

BigHop

I'm pretty sure boveda says one packet is good for 25 cigars so a full 100 count humidor should have 4 packets. If you only have 25 cigars in your humidor it could account for having a lower RH than the boveda. The more cigars in the humidor the easier it is to keep the humidity up.

I would try a lower number pack maybe 69 or 65. Heck try them all see what you like best but be sure to give them a couple weeks to acclimate. 75 seems a bit high if you want to smoke them right away. Most people that run that high RH do it for aging.  Also if you want to lower the RH a bit temporarily you can just open the humidor for a few minutes each day to bring it down until you find a more permanent fix.

hebron

QuoteDonM - 5/13/2015  11:39 PM

I would try reducing the boveda packs you are using and see where the RH is from there. You may be using too many which will over humidify and your cigars will soak it up. I use beads and have 1/2 hydrated and the others dry to stabilize the humidor to the correct RH. Worth a try anyway. I like my RH @ 65 % personally
There shouldn't be any need to reduce the number of Boveda packs; as they are two-way. They should absorb any access humidification, and release it when required. Unless they are completly saturated and can not absorb any more of course.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Jackal

Quotehebron - 5/18/2015  11:21 PM

There shouldn't be any need to reduce the number of Boveda packs; as they are two-way. They should absorb any access humidification, and release it when required. Unless they are completly saturated and can not absorb any more of course.

I would agree if they were 69% Bovedas, but with 75% packs, they are probably throwing off way too much water, and more of them just means even more water being released.  Changing to 69% or 65% packs will probably fix things.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

hebron

QuoteJackal - 5/19/2015  5:53 PM

Quotehebron - 5/18/2015  11:21 PM

I would agree if they were 69% Bovedas, but with 75% packs, they are probably throwing off way too much water, and more of them just means even more water being released.  Changing to 69% or 65% packs will probably fix things.

I have to admit I don't have any experience with the 75% packs. But you are probably right about that. I'm a 65% kinda guy :)
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.