Humidor in Wineador

Started by Jay'D, 05/09/2015 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay'D

Ok so I'm looking to get me a wineador, I have two 100 count humidors and I'm wondering if it would be ok to put the humidors directly in wineador once space allows. Just the idea of not using them irks me...i know i will look to fill them up and then I'll have the temperature issue all over again. looking some advise from the wiser geeks here. :?:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Astalo

Just make sure you get wineador that has peltier cooling AND NOT COMPRESSOR. And why put whole humidors in there to take up space. get tray or 2 for singles and keep rest in their boxes.

SparklePony

As the happy owner of a wineador, I can tell you that there's no need to put the humidor in the wineador but it wouldn't hurt anything really. If your issue is temp then see what happens!
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Kevin48438

Wineadors.com has some nice shelves and such.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

hebron

I just did this, was tired of worrying about the temperature in the man cave. I've kept the cigars in the tupperdor boxes, I guess it will be easier to maintain the RH that way.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Longhorn

^^^^ Hey, look!  Thomas stores wine in his humidor!   :thumbsup:  :biggrin:

ntanner

QuoteLonghorn - 5/10/2015  1:54 PM

:lmao:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

Actually, the exterior of some humidors isn't made to endure constant 70% humidity, the lining, glue and other materials might not like it in the long run. Plus there is no real use to put a wooden humidor into a wineador besides temp control and with 100ct humidors, all you have to do is put them in the room, closet or part of the house that is the coolest, usually the basement.

You could use those 100ct humidors in other ways. Keep them at different RH%, use one as a dry box, transition humidor etc.

But I have to say temp control is a b*tch, it was in the high 90s yesterday and I now know I will have to install an AC unit in my office because it reaches the high 80s since putting up walls and closing ceilings in the basement where my office and cigars are.

Use old boxes or Spanish cedar trays, maximize the use of space, you will need it sooner than later

:biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Jay'D

Thanks for all the helpful advice, but you see living in the islands the temperature is a real b*tch. It usually stays in the 80's, my hygrometer in my humidors reads around 85 so i try keep the humidity between 64 and 66. I know i can always put in trays and keep cigars in boxes but my thing is, knowing me I will end up putting sticks in the humidors when the winedor gets full and back to the temp issue. Unfortunately I dont have central heating or cooling like in the states and other countries. And to get an AC unit and have it running all day will be murder when it comes to the electric bill.....the joys of living in the islands.  :sad:  :sad:

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Jay'D

QuoteLonghorn - 5/10/2015  3:54 PM

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

sjn1117

Stick around here and you'll need those 100 ct boxes for overflow from the wineador! :biggrin:
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 5/10/2015  9:33 PM  Thanks for all the helpful advice, but you see living in the islands the temperature is a real b*tch. It usually stays in the 80's, my hygrometer in my humidors reads around 85 so i try keep the humidity between 64 and 66. I know i can always put in trays and keep cigars in boxes but my thing is, knowing me I will end up putting sticks in the humidors when the winedor gets full and back to the temp issue. Unfortunately I dont have central heating or cooling like in the states and other countries. And to get an AC unit and have it running all day will be murder when it comes to the electric bill.....the joys of living in the islands.  :sad:  :sad:

If you have a freezer and can freeze big cubes of ice, you could set up something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtlxjvLQis

It really works. Requires a cooler, a small fan, some tools and some skills but not much electricity to run. Not saying it would lower the temp in the whole place but could help.  

hebron

QuoteMojo66 - 5/11/2015  5:43 AM

QuoteJay'D - 5/10/2015  9:33 PM  Thanks for all the helpful advice, but you see living in the islands the temperature is a real b*tch. It usually stays in the 80's, my hygrometer in my humidors reads around 85 so i try keep the humidity between 64 and 66. I know i can always put in trays and keep cigars in boxes but my thing is, knowing me I will end up putting sticks in the humidors when the winedor gets full and back to the temp issue. Unfortunately I dont have central heating or cooling like in the states and other countries. And to get an AC unit and have it running all day will be murder when it comes to the electric bill.....the joys of living in the islands.  :sad:  :sad:

If you have a freezer and can freeze big cubes of ice, you could set up something like this:

It really works. Requires a cooler, a small fan, some tools and some skills but not much electricity to run. Not saying it would lower the temp in the whole place but could help.  

I've looked at these myself, but I'm not really a fan of having to refill it with ice. If used to cool a room with cigars I can imagine that you could get rather large temperature swings, and if you ever leave for the weekend you will have a problem with the temperature...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cigary

Quotehebron - 5/10/2015  2:11 PM  I just did this, was tired of worrying about the temperature in the man cave. I've kept the cigars in the tupperdor boxes, I guess it will be easier to maintain the RH that way.

Nice.....great idea of storage there and should work flawlessly....now I need to copy this.

Jay'D

Quotehebron - 5/11/2015  7:17 AM

I've looked at these myself, but I'm not really a fan of having to refill it with ice. If used to cool a room with cigars I can imagine that you could get rather large temperature swings, and if you ever leave for the weekend you will have a problem with the temperature...
Yeah I saw this as well but I would have to agree with what he said also....don't think that is an option.
The temperature in my office stays in the 70's but i don't think they would be to fond of me storing my humidors there, plus I don't smoke at work so thats not an option either. If I do put the humidors in the wineador and keep the humdifiers in each one individually then I wouldnt have to worry about the outside of the box being exposed to prolonged high humidity right?

Jay'D

Quotesjn1117 - 5/10/2015  11:32 PM

Stick around here and you'll need those 100 ct boxes for overflow from the wineador! :biggrin:
Well between here and cigarbid I can already see that happening   :biggrin:

hebron

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  4:39 PM

Quotehebron - 5/11/2015  7:17 AM

Yeah I saw this as well but I would have to agree with what he said also....don't think that is an option.
The temperature in my office stays in the 70's but i don't think they would be to fond of me storing my humidors there, plus I don't smoke at work so thats not an option either. If I do put the humidors in the wineador and keep the humdifiers in each one individually then I wouldnt have to worry about the outside of the box being exposed to prolonged high humidity right?
At least in my wine cooler the humidity is normally around 50%, not really sure why. Maybe because warm moist air gets trapped and cooled inside  :confused:

I have chosen not to keep my humidor in the wine cooler, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of it and using only tupperdors instead. Partly because it's so much easier to maintain the humidity in them, and partly because they are easy to take out to find stuff. You should measure the humidity in your wine cooler, might be higher than you think.
- Thomas

Jay'D

Hebron, getting rid of them is not an option I'm afraid. Will just have to think something out, maybe get a decent size enough wineador to hold them both plus trays.

hebron

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  8:47 PM

Hebron, getting rid of them is not an option I'm afraid. Will just have to think something out, maybe get a decent size enough wineador to hold them both plus trays.
I think most geeks here will tell you to leave out the humidor, mainly because of space issues. But if you want to keep it, keep it. I would have no problem putting a humidor in a wine cooler as long as it had "room-like" properties, and by that I mean a temperature and humidity that you might find in a room. I don't think people would think twice about putting a humidor in a room with 60-65'F and 50-60 %. Why should it be different if the "room" is a wine cooler?

I do agree with Mojo though, if the humidity in the wine cooler is higher than the humidity you want inside. That might be a problem. But I don't see why it would be that high. Mine is about 50%. If you do find it to be too high you could use beads in the wine cooler to absorb humidity as well as beads inside the humidor.

Long story short; try :)
- Thomas

hebron

QuoteCigary - 5/11/2015  3:36 PM

Quotehebron - 5/10/2015  2:11 PM  I just did this, was tired of worrying about the temperature in the man cave. I've kept the cigars in the tupperdor boxes, I guess it will be easier to maintain the RH that way.

Nice.....great idea of storage there and should work flawlessly....now I need to copy this.

Thanks bro :) I really like the smaller boxes, so easy to maintain the humidity, if there is a problem in one it is contained and they are so easy to pick up and bring to the office for closer inspection. Good luck :)
- Thomas

Mojo66

I should have pointed out that I was answering based on my own setup and that my Wineador (at least for now) is used for long term aging and is therefore at 70% and is used for cigars exclusively. So sticking another humidor in an already humidified storage solution sounded redundant but only in my setup.

Anyways, I never use the temp control in the Wineadors because it doesn't get higher than 18 Celsius (65 F) and that is a little cold and slows down aging so I'd rather keep it off. Since I am having temp issues more and more though, I'm installing A/C in the room where I keep my cigars, I'll just have to watch RH in the summer as well as in the Winter for I will dry air out by using the A/C but THAT I can counter with more DW in the beads etc.

hebron

QuoteMojo66 - 5/11/2015  10:34 PM

I should have pointed out that I was answering based on my own setup and that my Wineador (at least for now) is used for long term aging and is therefore at 70% and is used for cigars exclusively. So sticking another humidor in an already humidified storage solution sounded redundant but only in my setup.

Anyways, I never use the temp control in the Wineadors because it doesn't get higher than 18 Celsius (65 F) and that is a little cold and slows down aging so I'd rather keep it off. Since I am having temp issues more and more though, I'm installing A/C in the room where I keep my cigars, I'll just have to watch RH in the summer as well as in the Winter for I will dry air out by using the A/C but THAT I can counter with more DW in the beads etc.
Mine doesn't go any higher than 65 F either, but it's either that or 75 +++ F in the man cave. I feel safer at 65 F :)
- Thomas

Jay'D

well I think I'll have to reconsider and see how it works out when I get the winecooler....might have to work out a process or something. If i know me I'll be putting stuff in the humidor once the wineador gets full....and it will get full. About how much sticks normally hold in a wineador by the way?

Mojo66

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  9:21 PM  well I think I'll have to reconsider and see how it works out when I get the winecooler....might have to work out a process or something. If i know me I'll be putting stuff in the humidor once the wineador gets full....and it will get full. About how much sticks normally hold in a wineador by the way?

Answer to that one entirely depends on the size of the Wineador. From a few hundred to a few thousand.

Jay'D

QuoteMojo66 - 5/11/2015  9:25 PM

QuoteJay'D - 5/11/2015  9:21 PM  well I think I'll have to reconsider and see how it works out when I get the winecooler....might have to work out a process or something. If i know me I'll be putting stuff in the humidor once the wineador gets full....and it will get full. About how much sticks normally hold in a wineador by the way?

Answer to that one entirely depends on the size of the Wineador. From a few hundred to a few thousand.

A few thousand huh, well with that then I just might not have to worry about putting stuff in those humidors.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.