new pipe (on a budget)

Started by Anthony, 09/17/2009 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Received my Yello-bole Burley today.  Packed with some Prince Albert tub Burley

The tobacco is a bit one-dimensional, but the pipe is nice for a few bucks.

http://anthonydimattia.com/burley.jpg>
_____

cmmayo

Haven't smoked a pipe since my younger days. As a teenager, actually.

That looks pretty good...

:shades:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

nwb

Nice pic.  Although I have enjoyed a pipe in the past, I've decided that it is just too high maintenance for me.  My wife is high maintenance enough... :biggrin:

nsb
Chief of Shaft

Anthony

The pipe is a bit high-maintenance, but definitely enjoyable.   The flavors are very different from cigars, and the smell is much nicer for the non-smokers in the vacinity.
_____

nwb

QuoteAnthony - 9/22/2009  12:51 AM

The pipe is a bit high-maintenance, but definitely enjoyable.   The flavors are very different from cigars, and the smell is much nicer for the non-smokers in the vacinity.

I completely agree.  I really enjoy the variety of pipe tobacco blends, and the aroma is wonderful.  However, since I am usually doing something (golfing, working, etc.), the cigar is much easier to maintain.

On a side note, the Rattray's Marlin Flake is a great blend.  Have you had it?

nwb
Chief of Shaft

ljlemer

Quotenwb - 9/22/2009  7:13 AM

On a side note, the Rattray's Marlin Flake is a great blend.  Have you had it?

nwb

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=M&TID=958  Sounds good.
If you're sitting in your backyard doing a crossword puzzle, pipe maintenance is not too much of a bother.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Anthony

So my new assessment of this pipe is that it burns too hot.  It's definitely not bad for the price, but I'm more inclined to reach for the corncob.  

The real benefit to the yello-bole is that it's basically indestructable.  So my plan for this one is to chuck it in the center console of my truck and use it on camping/offroading trips so I don't have to worry about scratching or breaking a more fragile or expensive pipe.

_____

cmmayo

I think I am going to grab a Missouri Meerschaum at your suggestion, Anthony. I'm going for the Gen. MacArthur model. It just screams, HILLBILLY!

Also, it goes great with my Hillbilly Farmer Halloween costume I am putting together. (Great costume idea--gives me an excuse to buy my first pair of overalls, a new flannel shirt, and a pipe!)

:shamebag:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

ljlemer

QuoteAnthony - 10/2/2009  5:26 AM
So my new assessment of this pipe is that it burns too hot.  

I sort of figured that was next. I'm through with briars which are almost always too hot. You don't have to splurge for a cool smoke. Head out to a corn field and seek your next pipe.

One advantage of pipe-smoking that makes it all worthwhile is the ability to blend your own combinations. Unless you're a roller working in a cigar shop, you can't toy with the flavor like that with cigars.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Ken Kelley

Quotecmmayo - 10/8/2009  12:57 PM

I think I am going to grab a Missouri Meerschaum at your suggestion, Anthony. I'm going for the Gen. MacArthur model. It just screams, HILLBILLY!

Also, it goes great with my Hillbilly Farmer Halloween costume I am putting together. (Great costume idea--gives me an excuse to buy my first pair of overalls, a new flannel shirt, and a pipe!)

As a member of the tribe, I'd like to gently point out that the term "hillbilly" is Politickly Incorreck.  We now prefer the more elegant "Appalachian-American" nomer.  Thank you for your kind attention to this vital matter.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

mountedshriner

QuoteAlphairon - 10/8/2009  2:17 PM

Quotecmmayo - 10/8/2009  12:57 PM

As a member of the tribe, I'd like to gently point out that the term "hillbilly" is Politickly Incorreck.  We now prefer the more elegant "Appalachian-American" nomer.  Thank you for your kind attention to this vital matter.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

gitfiddl

Quoteljlemer - 10/8/2009  4:23 PM

QuoteAnthony - 10/2/2009  5:26 AM
So my new assessment of this pipe is that it burns too hot.  

I sort of figured that was next. I'm through with briars which are almost always too hot. You don't have to splurge for a cool smoke. Head out to a corn field and seek your next pipe.

One advantage of pipe-smoking that makes it all worthwhile is the ability to blend your own combinations. Unless you're a roller working in a cigar shop, you can't toy with the flavor like that with cigars.

What did I do right then?  Back when I was a regular pipe smoker, the only time I had a problem with a briar pipe was when the tobacco was too dry.  Other than dimestore brands like Captain Black, most times I was smoking blends from my local Edwards.  I always stored my tobacco in a humidor.  Even in my freebie Captain Black pipe, as long as the tobacco was relatively moist, it never got too hot to smoke or developed an overbearing bite.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Anthony

Quoteljlemer - 10/8/2009  4:23 PM

I haven't had any issues with my briar pipe burning hot at all.

This yello-bole, on the other hand, is made of "brylon" which is a composite material composed of briar dust (I imagine leftover from briar pipe making) and a resin, compressed into the pipe shape.

_____

Hot Stuff x

Quotegitfiddl - 10/9/2009 7:43 AM  as long as the tobacco was relatively moist, it never got too hot to smoke or developed an overbearing bite.

Actually, too dry or too moist is not good.  If too moist, it will create steam, which not only burns you but also condenses and makes the pipe gurgle.  Like cigars, there is an ideal humidity level for pipe tobacco. 

If your pipe bowl gets too hot, but the smoke is otherwise cool enough, hold your pipe by the stem rather than the bowl.  And take your time.

Rusticated pipes seem to have the advantage of being a bit cooler on the surface due to their nooks and crannies.  : $.02 :

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

cmmayo

Quotecmmayo - 10/8/2009  11:57 AM

Just ordered the crazy hillbilly pipe with a 2 oz. tin of G.L. Pease Key Largo to start. It remains to be seen whether or not the pipe thing sticks or is just part of the costume...

My greatest fear is that sometime this Winter I am going to decide I want to smoke the pipe a little, but it's cold so I put on the flannel shirt that was part of the Hillbilly Farmer Halloween costume. Also, I can't wear shorts, but I want to be comfortable, so I put the overalls that were part of the costume...
So there I am barefoot on my porch smoking a corncob pipe when a mother walks by--her little kid looking up, asking, "Mommy, is that a redneck?"
"No, sweetie, a redneck smokes cigarettes. THAT'S a Hillbilly."

I might as well get a banjo and learn to whittle.  :shamebag: :shamebag: :shamebag: :shamebag:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Dewey Dave

To relax with a fine cigar is.... is.... is... undescribable.

cmmayo

It only took 10 days, but SOMEBODY finally laughed at my joke.  :biggrin:

BTW, I got the pipe a few days ago and have already smoked two bowls of Key Largo. GREAT tasting tobacco--thanks, Anthony, for the suggestion. I actually though this tobacco tastes a LOT like the taste of the Gurkha Black Dragon I had the other day.

The long narrow bowl of the corncob pipe keeps the tobacco nice and cool, even though I constantly have to relight. Am I supposed to dry out the tobacco a little so it stays lit better?  :confused:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.