Herf-a-Dor question

Started by danb6177, 05/21/2015 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danb6177

I picked up a 5 stick herf-a-dor. Running over to the east coast for a few days and bringing it with. It has a built in humi device for keeping sticks good but not sure if they would get very dry in just 3 days or so sealed up in this box.  Does anyone use these? Should I drop a little distilled water in for just a 3 day run?

Also plan on using this for a week trip to michigan later this year, Ill probably have to add some moisture for that one.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

headfirst

I don't use those but I would think if the cigars are in their cello that they'd be fine for three days in one without added moisture.  If no cello and it were me I'd probably put some moisture in...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Jackal

A few days would probably not affect celloed sticks.

Good luck opening that herf-a-dor after landing.  Depending on flight times, you can get some pretty tight seals formed due to air pressure changes during flight.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

quickme

if you can find some mini boveda packs and use those.  I don't think the green foam in those traveldors work very well. If its under a week or two your sticks will be fine.  "if" there is a chance that you don't smoke them all just let them sit in your humi at home for a couple weeks to recoup from the road trip.

quickme

QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  2:52 PM

Good luck opening that herf-a-dor after landing.  Depending on flight times, you can get some pretty tight seals formed due to air pressure changes during flight.

very good point.  have a piece of paper sticking out of the herf-a dor or you'll almost have to ruin your herf-a dor to open it.  

bmac7754

I use the Xikar 5 stick humidor daily as I throw my cigars in there and have them in the car.  I put a little distilled water or humijuice in the top section, and always have a mini boveda pack sitting in there.  If you have a larger pack and its pretty flat that work just as well.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Newbhunter

I carry cello and uncello sticks around regularly, almost daily these days. Sometimes i dont have space or time to bring my portable humi so i just toss em into a finger-bag then that into another zippy, I've had some in my backpack for almost a week with little to no noticeable difference in humidity level. IMO- 3 days, dont worry about it!

Cigary

Herf A Dors and those small pillows work for months at a time.  I have 3 different ones...5, 10 and 15 count size and they work perfectly.  I agree with the warning of trying to get into them after a flight but there is an easy way to get into it....just use your key under the latch...voila'.

danb6177

QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  2:52 PM

yes Ive heard this happens. Im only going to daytona from tampa so no flying, but when i go to michigan I was told I may have to wait a day to open the box
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

danb6177

Ok good advice. I dont keep my sticks in cello, I guess my concern not using water would be that the green foam would suck some moisture out of sticks. But you guys are right a few days probably no issues. Maybe Ill just put em in a zip lock baggie and stick em in the herf.
-----

bigjohn20081983

If it was me I would stop by my local B&M and pick-up a small boveda pack (or water pillow if that's more your style) and toss it in with the cigars. It is cheap to do and you don't have to worry about it then and you can rehydrate the boveda with distilled water and reuse it as needed.  All that being said I have left a few cigars in the van in only the celo and they where just fine for a day or 2 but still prefer the case or zip lock with a boveda that is close to the same level as my humidor is.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

If you're going to the trouble of putting them in a box to protect them then why not make sure the environment they are in isn't as good as possible, at least charge the device it came with, although Boveda would be better. Take care of them and they travel well but if you don't they get attitude and ruin the experience by unraveling at the most inappropriate times or busting a seem just as the flavors come into their prime.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Jackal

I put a sheet of Spanish cedar under the foam of each of my cigar carrying cases (herf-a-dors and Cuban Crafter's case).  Not sure if it really makes much difference, but it makes it smell like a humidor.

sjn1117

QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  5:24 PM  I put a sheet of Spanish cedar under the foam of each of my cigar carrying cases (herf-a-dors and Cuban Crafter's case).  Not sure if it really makes much difference, but it makes it smell like a humidor.
I never thought of that Jason. I may try that myself.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Jackal

Quotesjn1117 - 5/21/2015  3:26 PM

QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  5:24 PM  I put a sheet of Spanish cedar under the foam of each of my cigar carrying cases (herf-a-dors and Cuban Crafter's case).  Not sure if it really makes much difference, but it makes it smell like a humidor.
I never thought of that Jason. I may try that myself.

I used the thin sheets from the insides of cigar boxes.

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

ntanner

QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  4:24 PM

I put a sheet of Spanish cedar under the foam of each of my cigar carrying cases (herf-a-dors and Cuban Crafter's case).  Not sure if it really makes much difference, but it makes it smell like a humidor.
Me too.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

DonM

I have a 10 ct and have never used the humidifier. If your cigars are properly stored from the start, you are good for a week or so without any problems. Just my experience and $.02

"The Curmudgeon"

Longhorn

Quotequickme - 5/21/2015  2:53 PM

if you can find some mini boveda packs and use those.  I don't think the green foam in those traveldors work very well. If its under a week or two your sticks will be fine.  "if" there is a chance that you don't smoke them all just let them sit in your humi at home for a couple weeks to recoup from the road trip.

This.

Cfickter

QuoteDonM - 5/21/2015  6:41 PM  I have a 10 ct and have never used the humidifier. If your cigars are properly stored from the start, you are good for a week or so without any problems. Just my experience and $.02

I am  with Don this.  I have a 5 and 15 count.  Anything less than a week and I don't use anything.  More than that and a mimi Bovida is perfect

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Otter

I believe in Boveda... they are versatile and functional. I keep them on hand especially when traveling.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

danb6177

thanx for all the feedback. Cant wait to get poolside and light up!!
-----

1029henry

A few days in the herf-a-dor without humidification will not affect the cigars in the least.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Kman

Quotedanb6177 - 5/21/2015  3:05 PM  
QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  2:52 PM  A few days would probably not affect celloed sticks.  Good luck opening that herf-a-dor after landing.  Depending on flight times, you can get some pretty tight seals formed due to air pressure changes during flight.
yes Ive heard this happens. Im only going to daytona from tampa so no flying, but when i go to michigan I was told I may have to wait a day to open the box

Another trick is to leave one of the latches unlocked so that the vacuum doesn't build up in the case. It should keep it tight enough for the sake of humidity for just a flight though.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Jackal

QuoteKman - 5/22/2015  12:39 PM

Quotedanb6177 - 5/21/2015  3:05 PM  
QuoteJackal - 5/21/2015  2:52 PM  A few days would probably not affect celloed sticks.  Good luck opening that herf-a-dor after landing.  Depending on flight times, you can get some pretty tight seals formed due to air pressure changes during flight.

Another trick is to leave one of the latches unlocked so that the vacuum doesn't build up in the case. It should keep it tight enough for the sake of humidity for just a flight though.

Depends on the length of the flight.

For a short hop that might work.  For a 10-15 hour flight, I would not want to expose my cigars to the low (<10%) humidity of a flight cabin, or the pressure/ humidity fluctuations of the storage area if my bag is checked.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.