My Humidor notes

Started by MacMac, 05/26/2015 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

I would like for the notes I make in my main humidor to transfer to my Pervious Smoked humidor when I click "smoke one." When the last cigar is smoked in a group in the main humidor, all notes are lost. :cry:If the notes transferred tot he previous smoked humidor, the note would be saved. The previous smoked humidor is as important to me as the main humidor. It hold a great history. If notes moved over. The history would be better.   :dancing:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

headfirst

Good suggestion Joe. :thumbsup:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

hebron

I do believe the logic goes something like this when clicking "smoke one":

Check if cigar exists in previously smoked.
- If no; copy/move cigar (with notes included) to previously smoked and set count to 1.
- If yes; increment the count in previously smoked by one. Meaning that no notes are transferred for this cigar, the count is simply increased for the already existing cigar of the same type in previously smoked. This cigar will have the the notes from the when it was first added (the if no step).

I think that is how it works, maybe Paul can clarify.

But getting a "log" of notes for all cigars would be great!
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

ninfiction

I think part of the issue is if you smoke multiple the notes may change over time, then the difficulty is making the notes append or edit or something.

The same issue applies to my idea of including smoked dates.

Would be nice if there was some way to rate the cigar aside or in addition to doing a review, so on the previous smoke list you could see the star ratings you assign.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

hebron

Quoteninfiction - 5/26/2015  11:20 PM

I think part of the issue is if you smoke multiple the notes may change over time, then the difficulty is making the notes append or edit or something.

Would be nice if there was some way to rate the cigar aside or in addition to doing a review, so on the previous smoke list you could see the star ratings you assign.
One way of solving that could be to store all variables that change (like smoking date, notes, personal review?, etc) in a separate table and show a "smoking log" pr cigar.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Longhorn

Quotehebron - 5/26/2015  5:24 PM

One way of solving that could be to store all variables that change (like smoking date, notes, personal review?, etc) in a separate table and show a "smoking log" pr cigar.

...or increment the price of a cigar by $0.01 before moving it.  This will create a unique record for each of the sticks.  Periodically dump your previous smokes into Excel and clean out the Previous Smokes and start fresh.

Not ideal, but a work-around.

MacMac

I can see the need to create a separate cigar lof in past smokes for each lot purchased. If not, you well loose the date purchased. In other words they all fall in to the same group...the first group made.
It is obvious that history is important to many of us. In the time it took me to under stand what is happening with the transfer from the humidor to past smokes, I've lost some good history.

MacMac

Quotehebron - 5/26/2015  5:24 PM

The idea of keeping a seperatelist would solve the problem, it also defeats any reason to use the CG humidor app. Keeping two list would be frustrating and time consuming for me.
If the smoked cigars could keep the entries as the humidor does, that would work. In other words, I have several entries in my humidor for the same cigar because they were purched on seperate dates. If the smoked cigars could keep the cigars seperated as entered in the humidor originally, that would solve the problem.

SenorPablo

Good discussion and I can see the need for it as well.  Thomas has it correct in how the logic works.  One issue I could see is what if I have notes in the Previous Smoke and notes in the humidor entry - what do you do?  Combine them - surely someone will be upset about that as well.  Overwrite the one in previous smokes - that will upset someone else.  So I need to think through it a bit - probably combining is best if they are not identical.  The biggest issue is that it affects the web site, iOS device and Android devices as well as the Synch process for them.  So no small task.  But I do keep a list of enhancements so that when I go back into those pieces, I do everything at once.

Right now, I've been crazy busy with modernizing the Web Site and bringing it into a more supportable, efficient technology stack, and that has proven to be quite a task.  Much of the reason you don't see me as much on here.  Any spare time I have has been dedicated to that project.  But a necessary evil, that should make adding new functionality easier down the road.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

MacMac

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/27/2015  9:06 AM

Good discussion and I can see the need for it as well.  Thomas has it correct in how the logic works.  One issue I could see is what if I have notes in the Previous Smoke and notes in the humidor entry - what do you do?  Combine them - surely someone will be upset about that as well.  Overwrite the one in previous smokes - that will upset someone else.  So I need to think through it a bit - probably combining is best if they are not identical.  The biggest issue is that it affects the web site, iOS device and Android devices as well as the Synch process for them.  So no small task.  But I do keep a list of enhancements so that when I go back into those pieces, I do everything at once.

Right now, I've been crazy busy with modernizing the Web Site and bringing it into a more supportable, efficient technology stack, and that has proven to be quite a task.  Much of the reason you don't see me as much on here.  Any spare time I have has been dedicated to that project.  But a necessary evil, that should make adding new functionality easier down the road.

-Paul

Paul, Thank you for all you are doing for our wonderful CG site! You are appreciated!  :bigthumbs:

05Venturer

QuoteSenorPablo - 5/27/2015  8:06 AM

-Paul
:
Thanks for all you do brother :thumbsup:
Appreciated more than you realize my friend.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Chrism305

Perhaps add a new private virtual humidor named "Smoked" and move a cigar there with the app instead of clicking the Smoke one button. you could then change the date from when you bought it to when you smoked it. Each would then be a separate entry.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.