High or low Temp, which you prefer?

Started by Jay'D, 06/04/2015 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay'D

I've been wondering, which temperature is easier to regulate the humidity in your humidors? For me, being in the Virgin Islands the temp is mostly in the 80's and I've had the humidty at around 66 to 69% religously.  So I have to ask the Geeks, which would you prefer to have to deal with, high temp or low temp when it comes to maintining your cigars??  Do you rather run the risk of drying them out or having them too moist?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Jackal

Doesn't really matter as long as it is steady.  I prefer low temps for other reasons though (insect mitigation).

In addition, the amount of water required to keep humidity constant is less in lower temps.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Jay'D

QuoteJackal - 6/4/2015  2:19 PM

Doesn't really matter as long as it is steady.  I prefer low temps for other reasons though (insect mitigation).

In addition, the amount of water required to keep humidity constant is less in lower temps.
Well I've been fortunate enough not to have any bug problems since I've started collecting, hopefully it stays that way. Had a scare the other day when I think I saw a little hole in one of my ISOM, I immediately hopped on it and started the freezing process.  Better safe than sorry right. the forcasters says the low will be around 75 or 76 and the highs at 87 to 88.... i have yet to see the temp on my hygrometer be in the 70s.... I guess this occurs while I'm Sleeping.

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

lubrix

Glad you caught it. Beetle larva happens more often in CC's.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Jay'D

Quotelubrix - 6/4/2015  2:40 PM

Glad you caught it. Beetle larva happens more often in CC's.
So I've come to understand, which is one of my main reasons for looking to invest in a wineador.

bigjohn20081983

I keep my cigars in a room that is kept mid 60's year round with a humidity level in them of around 67%  I have 69% boveda in the humidor but the reading is always at 67%
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

I have a climate control unit to keep mine at 68 to 70F since it gets so hot were I live. I think cool is better then warm.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

QuoteJackal - 6/4/2015  1:19 PM

I agree with Jason on this, I try to never ever let my storage get above 68-70F. Humidity in the 65% range

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Jay'D

Unfortunately where I'm at I don't have the luxury of having a temperature control room so I have to deal with the the high temp for now. Just have to make sure the humidity stays below 70% so they don't get all moist and soft. I must say I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far, going be doing an even greater job when I get that wineador  :dancing:  :dancing:

hebron

I keep mine quite cold, 55 to 60. That temperature is just the easiest to maintain in the basement where the cigars are. And I sleep better at night with a low, rather then a high temperature.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Camshaft83

Low temp. But here in Utah it doesn't matter what temp it is because it is so dry here. Have to refill humidifiers all the time.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Mojo66

Low temps are easier to deal with in my opinion. I'd rather have to increase the RH (refill the beads more often) than combat high temps which can cause numerous other problems besides the obvious high RH that comes with higher temps.

Then again, where I live we see temps from 100F in the summer to -20F in the winter. Very humid in the summer and very dry in the winter so it's a year long battle no matter how you look at it. :cry:

One day too I'll have either a temp controlled room or a huge temp controlled tower. But until I win the lottery, I'll keep "playing" with it to make sure all is just how I like it.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Jay'D

I guess I have it easy compared to some of yall that have that crazy change in weather with drastic drops and rises. The difference here stays between 10 and 15 degrees. As long as that 80+ degrees dont give way to those pesky bugs i'm happy.

toby2

my basement stays in the mid 70's in the summer and you can just leave the cabinets open if you want to. the humidity stays in the low 60's for 8 months out of the year and that's with a dehumidifying Comfort Control System a/c and a dehumidifier going. ain't the Valley area in GA great?  :biggrin:

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

sjn1117

Definitely low temp. Too many problems arise with high temps in the humidors.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Rebecca Silverwolf

Low temps. Easier to maintain the RH, as well as bugs and mold not liking cold as well as heat.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

danb6177

I live in florida so we got some serious humidity. But we also have central air conditioning. I keep my home at a brisk 72 and my RH in the humi for my ready to smoke stuff is 64. 64 works well in this environment because any higher causes some issued half way through the stick. When I feel the band move just a little we are ready to go.  

So I think to answer your question, the temp outside means little for me because inside where my humidors are I am in control. What matters to me is when i go outside in the jungle humidity...my cigars must have a head start.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Longhorn

This.

And here: http://mycigarblog.org/blog/?p=1412

Jay'D

Is that so? ? I thought the colder the place the less humid so the more liquid you need to add to keep the humidity up so the cigars don't dry out? I know I haven't had to add any solutions or distilled water to my humidifiers for couple months now with the 80plus temp

1029henry

The Brits historically have kept their cigars at very low temps, 60-ish, for long term aging. Sounds good to me.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.