Humidor in a Pinch

Started by sevencardstud, 06/22/2015 05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevencardstud

By no means do I think this should replace an actual humidor. But it did occur to me, while calibrating the hygrometer for my new humidor.  That doing the same thing but instead of putting in the hygrometer in the bag, put in the cigars. This will only hold the size of the bag. But I did leave the hygrometer in the bag for a few days and the humidity stayed at 75, a bit high for most people, but better than nothing if you are really stuck. Once you open the bag though I would suggest adding some more water, as the salt has dried out and opening the bag allows some of the humidity to escape.

The method I used to calibrate my hygrometer:

1. Place a teaspoon of salt in a bottle cap or small cup and dampen it with a few drops of water (without dissolving it).
2. Carefully place the wet salt and the hygrometer inside a see-through container and close tightly. You can use a zip lock bag provided it seals well and you leave some air inside as well.
3. Let it sit for at least 6 hours and note the reading on the hygrometer without opening the container. The hygrometer should should read 75%.
4. The difference is how much your hygrometer is off. For example, if your hygrometer reads 70% during the salt method test this means that to obtain the real humidity level you should add 5 points.
5. If you have an analog hygrometer, you can correct the reading. You will need to adjust the needle to the 75% mark by turning the screw on the back using a small screwdriver. Your hygrometer is now ready to be placed inside your humidor.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

MacMac

i recently calibrated my analog hydrometer with a Boveda 72% pouch and a ziplock bag. Worked GREAT! I have calibrated the meter before using the salt method. In comparing my results the Boveda pouch seem to be a good way to calibrate.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Cfickter

the salt test is a pretty standard test that I also use.  I re calibrate every year.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

Put a Boveda pack instead of the salt and water mixture in the Ziploc and it makes a passable travel humi. I like the freezer bags as they are a little thicker and hold up a little better.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Jackal

Freezer bag with a boveda pack and a piece of Spanish cedar and you have a bag-a-dor.  It works great for short or medium term storage of sticks, when you humidor is over capacity.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

MacMac

QuoteJackal - 6/22/2015  3:42 PM

Freezer bag with a boveda pack and a piece of Spanish cedar and you have a bag-a-dor.  It works great for short or medium term storage of sticks, when you humidor is over capacity.

I like that "bag-a-dor." That does sound like a great travel idea to add the Spanish Cedar.

MacMac

QuoteCfickter - 6/22/2015  11:13 AM

the salt test is a pretty standard test that I also use.  I re calibrate every year.

I do like the salt test and have used it for the most part. I decided to try the B72 test as a second check and I would very please to see the reading...indicating the salt test was accurate.

sevencardstud

Ya I like the bag-o-dor too
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.