Storing lacquered or painted boxes in a humidor?

Started by dwinstl, 07/07/2015 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwinstl

Hello fellow geeks!

I wondered if anyone could offer any expert advice or opinions regarding storing painted or lacquered cigar boxes within your humidor.   I currently have about 10 boxes full of cigars inside my Footlocker humidor.  Most of them are cardboard or plain ceder  but there are a few that are painted and or lacquered.   I was searching the web recently and came across a thread that identified cigars being spoiled by a "painty chemical taste".  While I have not experienced this first hand I began to wonder if this could be a problem I have not anticipated for short to long-term storage (1 year to 5+ years). I know there are many schools of thought regarding in box out of box, in cellophane out of cellophane storage. For me, the boxes are part of the fun! Anyway, any contribution of info or option to the thread will be welcome and helpful. Thanks!

-David

lubrix

I have been storing lacquered boxes  in my humidors for years and have never had an issue.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

StogieDad

Quotelubrix - 7/8/2015  8:31 AM

I have been storing lacquered boxes  in my humidors for years and have never had an issue.

yep, X2.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ninfiction

I had read something similar about a paint/laquer smell but with a specific cigar. If I recall correctly it was one specific cigar and was due to how boxes were being manufactured or something, or used immediately after being produced. I think it was for just one batch too....I want to say Pudgy Monsters but don't quote me on that.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

StogieDad

I think you are right Brian, I have heard about a specific box, may very well have been the Pudgy Monsters.

I have a box of Olive Serie V Maduro that smelled of glue when I got it, but it dissipated quickly and all have smoked fine, so I don't see any issue there.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Jackal

QuoteStogieDad - 7/8/2015  7:13 AM

I think you are right Brian, I have heard about a specific box, may very well have been the Pudgy Monsters.

I have a box of Olive Serie V Maduro that smelled of glue when I got it, but it dissipated quickly and all have smoked fine, so I don't see any issue there.

Glad I took my Pudgy Monsters out of the box due to space concerns.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

ntanner

I have never had any issues with painted boxes imparting flavors to the cigars.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

dddddmorgan

No issues here either but I've never laid my hands on any Pudgy Monsters.

I would imagine it all comes down to the manufacturing process. I have extensive experience finishing wood and any clear finish if properly cured won't impart a smell or taste. Paint is another issue.

And I guess I don't know how aging tobaccos react to various finishes.

Sounds like I need to talk the wife into letting me buy some boxes to 'experiment' with ;-)
Molon Labe!

appollo

Been storing boxes in my humi for almost a year with no problems

05Venturer

Quotedddddmorgan - 7/8/2015  5:52 PM

No issues here either but I've never laid my hands on any Pudgy Monsters.

That's what she said! LMAO  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.