Is this a symptom of dried cigars?

Started by CTBlankenship, 07/11/2015 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTBlankenship

I just went to my humidor ... the humidity was in the green zone at 67%.  When I lit up a F55, the wrapper at the end of the stogie began to come undone.  

Is this a symptom of a dry stogie?

Thanks,

CT
If it's hard you are doing it wrong ...
-Me

danb6177

wrapper coming undone could be a symptom of a dried cigar but does not necessarily mean that its dried out. Now wrapper coming undone with the addition of a very lose band and a flaky ash would be more telling. I think you can tell a dry cigar mostly when you cut the cap. I remember being given a dried out cigar and it split when I cut it.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

ntanner

The wrapper coming undone could be a lot of different thing's. How long have you had the cigar in the humi and are you sure youre hygrometer is accurate?
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

CTBlankenship

Yes ... the hygrometer is accurate ... I calibrated it with Boveda and it is a Caliber IV Gold Bezel Digital (pretty reliable or so I'm told) ... the cigar was in there about two weeks ... cigars don't last too long in my humidor!
-Me

dddddmorgan

Well, did you have any burn issues?
Have you had this issue before with another cigar?
A couple of weeks rest isn't much time, if you got a dry cigar it can take a couple of months (sometimes) for it to hydrate properly.
And bottom line, it could just be one of those things.
By no means am I an expert just offering my .02
Molon Labe!

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

MacMac

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/12/2015  3:01 PM

" ... cigars don't last too long in my humidor!"

I wonder why your cigars don't last? Your humidor should keep your cigars pretty much indefinitely.

Joe
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

CTBlankenship

Well, I've analyzed the problem and it appears I have this annoying habit of taking them out and smoking them ... I'm currently on the back porch smoking a Padron now. It is quite OK ... excellent in fact!!!    I think we can simply chalk this up to being an overly concerned  new father.  I got into this business to make something that has a longer shelf life than a computer program ... and all I've managed to do is smoke more dollars in cigars than I've made on the sale of all humidors sold to date ... these things have become an evil mistress??
-Me

CTBlankenship

So let me attempt to summarize ... an entire box of Oliva Seri V Melanio, the 10 free Serie O that came with that box, 10 F55 Quattro, 10 Room 101 The Big Payback, two entire King's Ransom II from Holts, and four Alec Bradly Prensados ... Not to mention several trips to McCranies to talk to him about putting a Winsor in his shop to sell which he has tentatively agreed to do only to walk  with three La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amors and three Ashton VSG Sorcercers.  Would some one please buy my humidor ... I obviously have NO need for one!!!  Initially I justified their purchase as props for marketing pictures ... that plan has obviously gone up in smoke. ... literally!!!  I am looking at the last third of my 1964 wishing I never had thrown away my roach clip.
-Me

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Mojo66

Just sayin' but wrappers coming undone has been seen in over humidified sticks as well. A lot of stores keep the RH pretty high and same can be said from on line vendors as well. It could take a while for an over humidified cigar to lower it's RH and stabilize in your humidor and over humidified cigars can have a tendency to crack open when smoking them.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

CTBlankenship

Kent ... have I offended you in some way so as to debate the proper usage of the phrase "to summarize" :-0 If so, let me know how and I'll apologize and make amends (by refraining from such action in the future).

Ah, then again I just might be being an over-sensitive bit** :biggrin:

I figured someone would get a kick out of how this endeavor has come back to bite me in the keister.  

-Me

C130Driver

Might I suggest, you would attract more bees with honey than vinegar. I've been active on this forum for a year now and the best part of this community is the people here are always friendly and respectful.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

cajun600

LOL, wait till you discover cigarbid!!!

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/12/2015  11:03 PM

So let me attempt to summarize ... an entire box of Oliva Seri V Melanio, the 10 free Serie O that came with that box, 10 F55 Quattro, 10 Room 101 The Big Payback, two entire King's Ransom II from Holts, and four Alec Bradly Prensados ... Not to mention several trips to McCranies to talk to him about putting a Winsor in his shop to sell which he has tentatively agreed to do only to walk  with three La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amors and three Ashton VSG Sorcercers.  Would some one please buy my humidor ... I obviously have NO need for one!!!  Initially I justified their purchase as props for marketing pictures ... that plan has obviously gone up in smoke. ... literally!!!  I am looking at the last third of my 1964 wishing I never had thrown away my roach clip.

CTBlankenship

C130 Driver:

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I was in no way vinegarish (OMG ... that is actually a word) with Kent.  That post was laced with honey.  I didn't understand the nature of his reply and asked for clarification, I even predicted it with an apology ... just in case.  I do not see the nature of my infraction with regards to the content of my reply nor to its relationship with either vinegar or honey.

Did you think any differently?
-Me

CTBlankenship

OMG ... I don't even WANT to know what cigar bid is ... I'm purposely not investigating that aaaaaany further.
-Me

C130Driver

I'm not interested in engaging in an internet debate, so I'll say this and then I'm done. From where I sit your post came across completely sarcastic. If that genuinely wasn't the case consider my previous statement retracted with apologies. If not, just treat people with respect.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

CTBlankenship

Neither will I ... and in no way was I being sarcastic ... I would gain absolutely nothing here by being so.
-Me

headfirst

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/13/2015  8:33 PM

OMG ... I don't even WANT to know what cigar bid is ... I'm purposely not investigating that aaaaaany further.

Ha ha, you have no idea how evil that evil mistress can be...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Mojo66

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/13/2015  1:44 AM  Well, I've analyzed the problem and it appears I have this annoying habit of taking them out and smoking them ... I'm currently on the back porch smoking a Padron now. It is quite OK ... excellent in fact!!!    I think we can simply chalk this up to being an overly concerned  new father.  I got into this business to make something that has a longer shelf life than a computer program ... and all I've managed to do is smoke more dollars in cigars than I've made on the sale of all humidors sold to date ... these things have become an evil mistress??

You know I get it. I think I know what your point is and most of us here have realized (some of us already knew some others still haven't) that smoking good cigars every single day can become quite expensive. Hence many threads about good budget cigars and good deals on prime ones. But, everybody knows smoking cigars is expensive and no one really complains about it because that is what we like to do. My electric guitars are expensive, all my motorcycles cost more than I could really afford and the same goes for many things in my life but I CANNOT complain about it, I chose to indulge with a completely clear mind.

One thing you don't see here is money talk. You will not read of how huge a geek's collection is or how much money it's worth. Nor will you read about how expensive our cigar consumption is because it's how we live our lives, what we decide to do. Maybe all this talk about money is what makes some geeks uneasy and I get that too.

No one is in here for the money and you'll see that fast just by the generosity expressed in PIFs, passes, trades or any other venture between Geeks. The causes CG supports speak for themselves as well. To different degrees we all put in time, energy and money into our community and it's all done in the name of the community. We help, we share, we care but we don't brag about it, we leave that to other forums that specialize in such atmospheres. Sure there is a commercial section to CG but the retailers usually identify themselves as such, post in the appropriate section when they are selling and in the regular Forum when they are contributing.

Now this is only my point of view and I am not trying to stir anything up or start a debate, I'm merely stating what to me could be what's creating friction... if there even is any friction. :?:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

CTBlankenship

I didn't use a dollar value ... simply stated this is an expensive habit that must be curbed.  

I've looked at those two posts a couple of times and I just cannot see the infraction, unless I'm no longer permitted to post chatty comments such as this.  In which case, I no longer will.

But, in any event, it is time to SnoopDog this thread and "Drop it like it's howut, Drop it like it's howut.  

-Me

Cigary

HI Blankenship....let me try to help out here and when we as human beings enter into a Forum we can go there with the best of intentions and when people post sometimes they will read more into the actual post than needs to be...that's the inherent hazard of being in a Forum and I didn't sense that you came off any different than any other member who has questions about cigar related things.  Chalk it up to those who may have had a bad day...the boss being up in their a$$ or the wife being OTR...whatever.  

AS for your question....general rule of thumb for keeping cigars is to let them acclimate to a good environment for around a month.....realizing that not everybody can do that but it does tend to answer your query about things that can go wrong with our cigars.  Some cigars are sensitive to environmental things....I've had cigars that I have had and when I went to smoke them outside ( the temps being around 95 ) when I lit it the cigar turned into one of those exploding circus things...the whole end literally blew up.

05Venturer

Where the dried cigars kept properly humidified in a Winsor Humidor?? :confused:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

hennyis1

QuoteCTBlankenship - 7/12/2015  11:03 PM

buy my stuffs  

nothnx   :goodluck:
----------------------------------------------------
Smoking stogies, drinking beer and whisky. Committed to my God, my family, and my country. Go Seahawks!!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.