Outlet in the Tower going bad?

Started by NebNorse, 07/16/2015 04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NebNorse

I got up this morning and started my normal routine.  I happened to glance over at the tower and the Hydra said 70%.  No problems there.  I continued getting ready and walked by the tower again and noticed the display was blank!  Ohhh Boy!  That is not good.

I reseated the power ribbon, unplugged the fans, and "tapped" on it all hopping it would fire back up.  I then pulled the power ribbon and the power supply.  Took those, as well as my trusty voltage meter, to another outlet.  Power supply seems to be working fine.  I get 15v DC out of the other end of the ribbon.  No lose connections or anything.  Of course, I reseated them just to be sure.

Back to the tower.  I plug the PS back into the tower and get 15v.  Plug it back into the Hydra, no power.  At this point, I won't lie, panic started to set in.  I again unplugged the Power ribbon and tested it.  This time, no power.  I turn on the tower lights... they work.  So I swap the PS with the lights.  It seems to be working now...

Is this common... of course I have had this Hydra running none stop for what... 4 years, 5?  Should I be looking at getting another Humi System... or just replace the outlet in the tower?  I did check the outlet the tower is plugged into, and it is fine.  No problems there.

Why me.
 :cry:
"I'll come back as soon as I can with as much as I can. In the meantime, you've got to hold!" - As spoken to General Wainright by General MacArthur in March of 1942

My Cigar smells better than YOUR FEEDLOT!

ntanner

Do the light's still work after switching outlet's? If they do I would think the outlet is good and if they are not then replace it.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Mojo66

Have you taken apart the outlet in the tower, could be a loose wire that connects on and off. Sure thing is replacing the outlet seems like the least expensive thing to do and the first on the troubleshooting list.

Good luck with that and keep us posted
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ninfiction

QuoteMojo66 - 7/16/2015  9:40 AM

Have you taken apart the outlet in the tower, could be a loose wire that connects on and off. Sure thing is replacing the outlet seems like the least expensive thing to do and the first on the troubleshooting list.

Good luck with that and keep us posted

Was going to say this, a $2 outlet is much cheaper than a $100+ humidifier.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

NebNorse

Quotentanner - 7/16/2015  9:09 AM

Do the light's still work after switching outlet's? If they do I would think the outlet is good and if they are not then replace it.

Good point.  I never thought to plug them in the lower outlet to see.  

With the humie plugged in, it blocks the lower outlets so I just left them unplugged.

I will have to try that in a few hours when I pull a stick out for the Herf tonight.
"I'll come back as soon as I can with as much as I can. In the meantime, you've got to hold!" - As spoken to General Wainright by General MacArthur in March of 1942

My Cigar smells better than YOUR FEEDLOT!

ntanner

QuoteNebNorse - 7/16/2015  3:10 PM

Quotentanner - 7/16/2015  9:09 AM

Good point.  I never thought to plug them in the lower outlet to see.  

With the humie plugged in, it blocks the lower outlets so I just left them unplugged.

I will have to try that in a few hours when I pull a stick out for the Herf tonight.
Every once in A while I get A good idea. ;-)
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.