Hygrometer Calibration Success

Started by 05Venturer, 08/09/2015 07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I had been having a few wrapper/burn issues with a couple cigars lately and thought it may be a humidity issue.
I just have a hard time trusting doing the "salt test" for calibration. So I picked up a calibration kit for $3 off the devil site for a double check.
Looks like all is well with my hygrometers anyway.  :dancing:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

toby2

I like those kits as well. I keep my humi's in the mid to low 60's now and it works for my tastes. I always had burn and draw issues closer to 70.

05Venturer

Quotetoby2 - 8/9/2015  10:12 AM

I like those kits as well. I keep my humi's in the mid to low 60's now and it works for my tastes. I always had burn and draw issues closer to 70.

Agreed
65% seems to work best for me
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

millarddj

I bought the exact same kit and my hygrometers look good, but unfortunately the instruction manual for the digital one is a bit...vague. I'm struggling to find a better one online. Is it safe to assume the analog is just adjusted via screwdriver to the back?
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Fran95

Quote05Venturer - 8/9/2015  11:21 AM  
Quotetoby2 - 8/9/2015  10:12 AM  I like those kits as well. I keep my humi's in the mid to low 60's now and it works for my tastes. I always had burn and draw issues closer to 70.
Agreed 65% seems to work best for me

I just switched from 69% to 65% today, we'll see how it works out.

horrido

Usually in the 60's work for me
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

05Venturer

Quotemillarddj - 8/9/2015  10:35 AM

I bought the exact same kit and my hygrometers look good, but unfortunately the instruction manual for the digital one is a bit...vague. I'm struggling to find a better one online. Is it safe to assume the analog is just adjusted via screwdriver to the back?

Correct :thumbsup:
Kent

bmac7754

Good to see everything is checking out. I agree with you, lower humidity works best for me, usually around 66-68.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

DonM

All hygrometers are not created equal as I have found out. 1 went in the trash today, it was a CI freebee (the blue ones) that was not adjustable and totally way off. My other 2 are going through a salt test now  a Little Havana and a Hygroset. Honestly, so far the Little Havana is the closest to being true. The Hygroset I have salt tested before and adjusted, BUT when it goes in the humi it reads high. I have a Xikar rectangular hygrometer on the way, should be here tomorrow.

With that said, I really only use the hygrometer to show me when the RH drops so I can give the Heartfeelt beads a spray. The key to my success in the humidor has been the beads. In reality I could throw out the hygrometers and still have perfect conditions for my cigars

"The Curmudgeon"

horrido

Has anyone tried the hygrometers from the gardening section of the hardware store? I have used a few and they work great do the same test for rh also they use normal triple a batteries cheaper to use and run.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

ntanner

Needing a new one myself, the display on the current one is going out and it's reading about 9 point's hi. Saw some cheepies at Wally World I was thinking of giving a shot.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

Quotentanner - 8/9/2015  4:20 PM

Needing a new one myself, the display on the current one is going out and it's reading about 9 point's hi. Saw some cheepies at Wally World I was thinking of giving a shot.
I have had great luck with my zederkoff hygrometer, over a year and a half and spot on always
Kent

Cigary

I bought my first hygro about 20 years ago for around $100....( gasp ) but it has always been accurate and I use it for a tester for all of my other hygros because I have way to many humidors. I learned along time ago that having the right equipment saves my sanity and I picked up a hygro from WallyMart and used it....tested it against the expensive unit and it was the same RH so I kept it. I bought about 5 more and tested them...4 were right on and 1 was almost 5% off....so I took that one back and bought another 5...test those and only one of them was off. Fast forward I had 15 hygros that tested the same as my expensive unit and for the last few years there has been no issues with them at all.   It's the Accurite hygro for around $8...best $8 I've spent.

ntanner

Thanx for the info Kent and Gary. Now I have some brand names to look for.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

DonM

Update on my salt test:  The Little Havana was spot on 75%, and I adjusted the Hygroset to 75%.  Put them in the humidor overnight, they read 4% RH different.  I now wait for the now Xikar to see which one is off?

"The Curmudgeon"

benchjockey

QuoteDonM - 8/10/2015  10:21 AM  Update on my salt test:  The Little Havana was spot on 75%, and I adjusted the Hygroset to 75%.  Put them in the humidor overnight, they read 4% RH different.  I now wait for the now Xikar to see which one is off?

So you are assuming the Xikar is the correct one and using it as the standard?  You show a lot of confidence in Xikar. 

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

SparklePony

I like my cigars at 63-65%.  I can really tell when they're near 68, they get all harsh on me.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Jay'D

My thing is, what if you test them in 80+ degrees temp, are they still supposed to read 75% humidity? what difference will it make if the temp is higher than the 75 degrees they recommend testing it at?
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

DonM

Quotebenchjockey - 8/10/2015  11:20 AM

QuoteDonM - 8/10/2015  10:21 AM  Update on my salt test:  The Little Havana was spot on 75%, and I adjusted the Hygroset to 75%.  Put them in the humidor overnight, they read 4% RH different.  I now wait for the now Xikar to see which one is off?

So you are assuming the Xikar is the correct one and using it as the standard?  You show a lot of confidence in Xikar. 

Honestly, I don't think you are going to get any 100% accurate. 4 % is a pretty big variance IMO. I have my suspicions as to which one of the old ones are accurate and am going to compare readings when I get the new one in. Honestly, the beads (65% beads) keep my cigars where I like them RH wise, I use the hygrometer to see when the RH drops indicating that the beads need a spray of distilled water

"The Curmudgeon"

sevencardstud

I think I may have to get one of these kits, looks like a good buy.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

ntanner

QuoteJay'D - 8/10/2015  1:31 PM

My thing is, what if you test them in 80+ degrees temp, are they still supposed to read 75% humidity? what difference will it make if the temp is higher than the 75 degrees they recommend testing it at?
If you get a good reading on the salt test then it should be close enough for you're humidor. You are correct that changing the environment the hygrometer is in changes everything else. The 75% reading in a closed airtight container at a different temp. then the humidor it will be in is going to skew the accuracy some but it should be close enough for you to be confident in it. if you stay at 65%RH and it's of a point or two you are still between 63 and 67 which is a decent RH range to be in.

DonM

Not to hijack Kents thread but I guess I am. The hygrometer saga continues. All salt tests were done @ 75 degrees as follows:

Little Havana  reads 66% in humidor @ 75 degrees salt test 75% not adjustable
Hygro Set reads 68% in humidor @ 75 degrees salt test adjusted to 75 %
New Xikar 5 hrs in humidor reads 60% 75 degrees no salt test, not adjustable

This has turned into a science project, any suggestions?

I am ordering a Caliber IV hygrometer and a Boveda calibration kit. My intent is to save Geeks the trouble of which hygrometer is the best value or accurate. All 4 hygrometers will get tested in the calibration kit at the same temp, my home stays @ 75 degrees. I will then place all 4 in my humidor in about the same location so the readings should be accurate based on condition of my humidor. If any Geeks have any suggestions in the conduct of this experiment, let me know

"The Curmudgeon"

clami

Thanks - just got my Accurite, and it is great.  I like that it holds the high and low range for the day.  I have been worried about temperature when no one is home.  Great recommendation!  

Jackal

QuoteDonM - 8/11/2015  3:13 PM

Not to hijack Kents thread but I guess I am. The hygrometer saga continues. All salt tests were done @ 75 degrees as follows:

Little Havana  reads 66% in humidor @ 75 degrees salt test 75% not adjustable
Hygro Set reads 68% in humidor @ 75 degrees salt test adjusted to 75 %
New Xikar 5 hrs in humidor reads 60% 75 degrees no salt test, not adjustable

This has turned into a science project, any suggestions?

I am ordering a Caliber IV hygrometer and a Boveda calibration kit. My intent is to save Geeks the trouble of which hygrometer is the best value or accurate. All 4 hygrometers will get tested in the calibration kit at the same temp, my home stays @ 75 degrees. I will then place all 4 in my humidor in about the same location so the readings should be accurate based on condition of my humidor. If any Geeks have any suggestions in the conduct of this experiment, let me know

Sounds good.  They are all in the same environment (humidity and temperature).  As long as they are equidistant from the humidity source and nothing between them and the humidification device and neither the hygrometers nor the humidification source is near a dead air flow zone (humidor corner or possibly wall), this should work well.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Jay'D

Quotentanner - 8/10/2015  9:03 PM

QuoteJay'D - 8/10/2015  1:31 PM

If you get a good reading on the salt test then it should be close enough for you're humidor. You are correct that changing the environment the hygrometer is in changes everything else. The 75% reading in a closed airtight container at a different temp. then the humidor it will be in is going to skew the accuracy some but it should be close enough for you to be confident in it. if you stay at 65%RH and it's of a point or two you are still between 63 and 67 which is a decent RH range to be in.
Well my two humidors are reading around 66% in one and 68% in the other between 80 and 88 degress temp in both depending on the time of day... i just get me a coolador going and I have in some 69% beads but this new hygrometer i just got is reading 71%. I'm thinking it might be off so I'm going to switch it up with another and see what the reading says. It shouldbe be saying 71% since the beads are new as well and i didnt soak them down with distilled water so they shoudlnt even be at 69%. Have to remember to check later today since i made the switch coulpe days ago. Man i swear this high ass temp living in the islands can be a pain in the ass at times. :angry:  :angry:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.