The Hygrometer Experiment

Started by DonM, 08/13/2015 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

So I had 2 hygrometers up until 6 months ago, a Little Havana and a Caliber III. Salt tested, both read 75% and always were within 1% of each other in the humidor. Then, the Caliber III died on me. Since then, I have been through 3 hygrometers with nothing but poor results as follows:

Humi Care from CI (blue one) read 5 % low on the salt test. I see CI no longer carries them and this one went in the trash

Hygro Set II-  it was hard to calibrate this one but after 3 attempts got it with the salt test. It still reads 2% higher than the Little Havana when in the humidor

Brand new Xikar rectangle (2 days old)-  salt test, read 68% or 7% low on salt test.  This one is on its way back to Xikar for replacement. After reading reviews on the new Xikars, I am not the only one experiencing problems with the new non adjustable versions, and at this point, wouldn't recommend them

I have a Caliber IV coming in tomorrow with a Boveda Calibration kit. I will be testing all 3 when I get it in the mail and will post the results. I am not expecting perfection, but would like one or 2 to be at least close. Hopefully my experiment will help others in purchasing a hygrometer in the future

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

I've got 4 of the HygroSet II, calibrated them with a Boveda calibration kit. Have not had any issues for the year I've had them, rechecked them a couple weeks ago, 2 of them were 1-2% off.

They are a little picky when calibrating, I swear it's near impossible to turn the little dial 1 click, but after a few attempts several hours a part I was able to get them all to read 75%
This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

Quoteninfiction - 8/13/2015  3:33 PM

I've got 4 of the HygroSet II, calibrated them with a Boveda calibration kit. Have not had any issues for the year I've had them, rechecked them a couple weeks ago, 2 of them were 1-2% off.

They are a little picky when calibrating, I swear it's near impossible to turn the little dial 1 click, but after a few attempts several hours a part I was able to get them all to read 75%

Thanks for the input!  Yes, they are a PITA to calibrate

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

I had similar problems with a rectangular Xikar and the salt test about a year ago. I found a manufacturer recommendation to use a Boveda pack in a small Tupperware. After 24 hrs my Xixar was right on with the Boveda. They said it has something to do with better air circulation. Hope you get it figured out one way or another.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

DonM

QuoteCamshaft83 - 8/13/2015  3:54 PM

I had similar problems with a rectangular Xikar and the salt test about a year ago. I found a manufacturer recommendation to use a Boveda pack in a small Tupperware. After 24 hrs my Xixar was right on with the Boveda. They said it has something to do with better air circulation. Hope you get it figured out one way or another.

The Xikar was salt tested just like the others, so I don't see it making a huge difference using a Boveda although I am using one for the last tests to compare all of them for a final result. In the case of the Hygro set II it would be pretty difficult to adjust accurately in Tupperware, by the time you get it out to hit the adjustment button, the reading would change and why I used the Baggie. You can adjust/hit the reset button without removing it from the bag

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

I definitely agree that the baggies make it easier to make your adjustments on a hygrometer with the calibrate function. Just passing along info that I found on the Xikar itself and the method that ended up working for me.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

ninfiction

I always take them out of the bag to calibrate, if it says 73% I know I need 2 clicks on the HygroSet, take it out of the bag, turn 2 clicks, back in bag for serveral more hours, rinse repeat. Might take me longer than it should but I figure the longer it stews the better.

The Boveda Calibration kit bag is pretty stiff, not sure you could turn the dial thru it.

dddddmorgan

I'm with Brian. I've got two different brands and with my hands (wifey calls em hams) I literally couldn't adjust the little dial properly, I wound up having wifey do it.
Molon Labe!

Fran95

I'll be looking forward to the results of this as I would like to buy an accurate hygrometer... why does it seem like many hygrometers on the market can't do their job properly?  :banghead:

DonM

QuoteFran95 - 8/14/2015  12:53 AM

I'll be looking forward to the results of this as I would like to buy an accurate hygrometer... why does it seem like many hygrometers on the market can't do their job properly?  :banghead:

I am guessing but with the price of most on the market ($20-$30) they are made overseas. With some the acceptable tolerance is + or - 3%. The Caliber IV is 1%. Will post the results when I get done with testing and hope my results will help you in your decision

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

So I got the Boveda Calibration kit in and am doing some calibrations with interesting results so far.  

So my fellow geeks I have a question for you.  It appears that the Boveda calibrations are reading consistently 5% higher than the salt test readings I had.  I am curious if you would go with the Boveda Calibration as the standard of 75% RH or the salt test. I am seeing that the salt test may have too many variables to be 100 % accurate ie type of salt, quantity and ratio of distilled water.  Your thoughts?

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

i use the boveda. i'm with you on the variables with salt. once a year i check them all.

05Venturer

Quotetoby2 - 8/18/2015  7:46 AM

i use the boveda. i'm with you on the variables with salt. once a year i check them all.

YUP
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

millarddj

This is the most useful thread I've read this week. Bookmarking for use when purchasing another humi/new hygrometer.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

DonM

So with input from a couple of geeks, I am throwing out the salt test readings and going with the Boveda Calibration kit as the standard.  Here are a couple of results so far:

New Caliber IV was adjusted + 2% RH, reads 75%
Little Havana, reads 81% and not adjustable.  I would say this is enough to condemn its accuracy.

On to the Hygroset rectangular for calibration, into the bag it goes

The Xikar rectangular that I sent back may actually have been close with the Boveda but was sent back for replacement, will see what Xikar does

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

That's interesting on the salt test vs the boveda. I always worried about screwing up the salt test so have never done one. The boveda method always seemed pretty accurate, 75% with the calibration kit and then when I move the hygrometer into my tupperdor with a 65% it would read spot it every time, or at least within a percent.

DonM

Update on the hygrometer test:

I put the Caliber IV and the Hygroset in the Boveda calibration kit together. I actually had to re adjust the Caliber it actually did not need any adjustments from the "new" setting, it was @ 75% right out of the box. I adjusted the Hygroset to 75%. So both were @ 75 % coming out of the bag then  both read 62% in the humidor side by side. The Little Havana is reading 64 % so it is 2% high and was 6% high in the Boveda kit.

I can say that both the Caliber IV and the Hygroset are worth the money spent. The Hygroset is easier to read BUT the Caliber IV was spot on right out of the box even though you can calibrate it.

I did find the culprit screwing the salt test up, if you are using a zip lock for the test, Boveda or salt, make sure that you are using a good one!  I used a cheap zip lock initially on the salt test and then tried it with the Boveda pack. Cheap zip locks are porous and will give you inaccurate reading when doing the tests.

I will update you on the Xikar when I get it back

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

Very cool to see the differences. I have thought about picking a Caliber IV up.

Fran95

QuoteDonM - 8/19/2015  3:44 PM  Update on the hygrometer test:  I put the Caliber IV and the Hygroset in the Boveda calibration kit together. I actually had to re adjust the Caliber it actually did not need any adjustments from the "new" setting, it was @ 75% right out of the box. I adjusted the Hygroset to 75%. So both were @ 75 % coming out of the bag then  both read 62% in the humidor side by side. The Little Havana is reading 64 % so it is 2% high and was 6% high in the Boveda kit.   I can say that both the Caliber IV and the Hygroset are worth the money spent. The Hygroset is easier to read BUT the Caliber IV was spot on right out of the box even though you can calibrate it.   I did find the culprit screwing the salt test up, if you are using a zip lock for the test, Boveda or salt, make sure that you are using a good one!  I used a cheap zip lock initially on the salt test and then tried it with the Boveda pack. Cheap zip locks are porous and will give you inaccurate reading when doing the tests.   I will update you on the Xikar when I get it back

Bookmarking this for future reference.

DonM

So I got my replacement Xikar rectangle hygrometer in yesterday and promptly pit it in the same kit I used for the Caliber IV and Hygroset hygrometers. 24 hours later, it reads 72% and has since 3 am this morning so I do not anticipate any changes. The first Xikar was 7% off, the second is 3% off. Their website says + - 2% right out of the box.  With that in mind, I would not recommend purchasing the Xikar hygrometers. No adjustment and 2 out of tolerance. It almost seems a waste to spend more $ to send it back again.

Both the Caliber IV and Hygroset have been either the same RH or a 1% variation since I have had them in the humidor. At this point, with these 2 being adjustable and very close if not the same reading, I would recommend either of them for purchase.

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

I talked with Ken @ Xikar today and he sent me a return label.  He will test the hygrometer in the lab and give me the results as to how accurate the hygrometer is.  His comments were pretty much as I anticipated, that irregardless of using A salt test or a Boveda there are variables to throw the test off when doing the testing at home. So we will see what he comes up with. He did say the 1st one was way off when tested

"The Curmudgeon"

bmac7754

Good to hear they are taking care of it for you.  I like the old style Xikar ones you can calibrate.  I have about a dozen of them for about 5 years now.  I noticed one of the batteries were flashing yesterday and soon realized 7 of them needed batteries, so glad I did that battery split with Dan (Kid Montana) about a year ago because I was ready to go.  Even after years they pretty much stay reliable and consistent.  These are not my humidor readings, they were sitting out on the dining room table for a while.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

DonM

Brian, looks like most of them are close to each other :bigthumbs: I am anxious to hear their results, I just don't see why theirs is so far off and doing away with the calibration feature was a mistake IMO

"The Curmudgeon"

Cigary

Been around the horn with different hygros that it hurts my head.  So many of us tend to be anxious about our RH and deservedly so and my first hygro I spent a lot of money on about 15 years ago.. (which crapped out awhile back so then I went and got a Western Caliber 4 ).you can set your Rolex by it and I use that to test hygros I buy for all of my other humidors/tupperadors/cooleradors. I've read so many articles about the discrepancies of readings on various hygros out there but the Western is the Poster Child for accuracy for me.

DonM

QuoteCigary - 8/29/2015  7:28 AM

Been around the horn with different hygros that it hurts my head.  So many of us tend to be anxious about our RH and deservedly so and my first hygro I spent a lot of money on about 15 years ago.. (which crapped out awhile back so then I went and got a Western Caliber 4 ).you can set your Rolex by it and I use that to test hygros I buy for all of my other humidors/tupperadors/cooleradors. I've read so many articles about the discrepancies of readings on various hygros out there but the Western is the Poster Child for accuracy for me.

I agree with you, my Caliber IV tested spot on out of the box

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.