Cigars for Troops - 2015

Started by nwb, 08/19/2015 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwb

7th Annual Cigars for Troops Drive

It's that time of year again! Even though the holiday season is a couple months away, starting early will give everyone who wants to participate time to send a care package. Here are the previous years' threads:

2010 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=5894.0
2011 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=9907.0
2012 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=15038.0
2013 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=25603.0
2014 - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=29268.0

Historic Donations
2010 -   525 Cigars
2011 -   587 Cigars
2012 -   676 Cigars
2013 - 1,343 Cigars
2014 - 1,617 Cigars

The basic rules:

*The cutoff will be October 31st for getting packages/donations in the mail to me. This will allow me enough time to get them shipped and the soldiers receive them before the holidays.  Please note that my mailing address has changed since last year; please PM me for it.

*This is open to anyone, whether you are a vet or newbie.  The more the merrier! This is your chance to get that coveted "Troop Supporter" badge.

*Send as many cigars as you would like. Even a fiver will make a difference. Cutters and/or matches would also be appreciated, as well as sealed pipe tobacco, pipes, pipe cleaners, etc. Please, no lighters – I'm trying to avoid any problems with USPS.

*Cigars with cellophane travel better.  However, if you have cigars without cellophane, feel free to send them.  Any donations of 5/6 finger bags is also appreciated.

*Packages can be drop shipped to me from vendors.  Members have done this in years past with success.

*Please PM me if you send a package. I'd like to avoid boxes sitting on my doorstep in case I'm traveling.

*I will keep a running list of those that have expressed interest along with if I received the package. If you commit to donating early on and decide it can't be done, no harm, no foul.

*Paul (SenorPablo) has generously offered to cover all shipping costs.  Thanks Paul!

Last year, I created a virtual humidor with all the cigars. Depending on the response, I might do that again this year.  For those of you who keep track of your cigars in the virtual humidor or excel, providing a list of the donated cigars when you send them helps a LOT in this effort.

One other note: if you know of a group deployed oversees, especially in an area of conflict, please nominate them by sending me a PM.  We typically send 3-4 packages, so I'd like to spread the wealth.

As always, feel free to post any questions!
Chief of Shaft

Kman

Definitely count me in Nathan. Thanks for doing this again, it's a great opportunity to give back.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

millarddj

Excellent, I have been wondering if this would be coming up even before Q3 ended. I am looking forward to contributing, and I think the virtual humi feature is a great idea for this!
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Brlesq

Thanks for doing this again, Nathan.  I know it is a lot of work.  I'm in again.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

Awesome.  2000 sticks this year?  I think we can.  Thanks as always Nathan, and I am in.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

cavenbk

Definitely a great cause. Gladly count me in again this year Nathan.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

clami

Count me in.  Thanks for putting this together!

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nirab

I'm down for the movement! Let's topple last years number!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

terrys1991

Quotenirab - 8/20/2015  8:14 AM  I'm down for the movement! Let's topple last years number!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

Me Too!! :bigthumbs:  

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

STL_Cohiba

Count me in. Anything for our brave men and women that protect us
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

Cfickter

Absolutely in again!
Lets at least shoot for 1750, if not 2000
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

Great response thus far!

Brlesq
cavenbk
Cfickter
clami
Kman
lubrix
millarddj
ninfiction
nirab
STL_Cohiba
StogieDad
terrys1991
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

Add me to the list since you didn't already!  I'll hook up with you next week sometime when you aren't brown-nosing the execs! :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

johncw

05Venturer

Absolutely in again Nathan.
Thanks for setting it up again  :bow:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bmac7754

Count me in as usuall. I probably won't be sending out till next month.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

DonM

Count this Ol' Soldier in as well!

"The Curmudgeon"

Jackal

QuoteStogieDad - 8/19/2015  7:46 PM

Awesome.  2000 sticks this year?  I think we can.  Thanks as always Nathan, and I am in.

I like that goal.  Will be getting sticks together soon.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

millarddj

Are there any guidelines for this? Do you usually buy well-priced "everyday cigars" to send over? Send your extras? Purchase big packs/boxes and send the whole lot?
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Kman

Quotemillarddj - 8/20/2015  2:14 PM  Are there any guidelines for this? Do you usually buy well-priced "everyday cigars" to send over? Send your extras? Purchase big packs/boxes and send the whole lot?

It's really however you want to do it Daniel. Going on the basis that everyone has different tastes and everyone is at a different experience level, there is really nothing you couldn't send. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. 

The first year that I did this, I really didn't have much of a stock, so I purchased some cigars online and had them delivered directly to Nathan. The last 2 years, I've gone to Cigarfest where you received 100+ different cigars from different brands. So last year, I made a package of the cigars from the event that I wasn't planning to smoke and some others I had sitting in the humidor. I plan to do the same thing this year with my event cigars and a little humidor cleaning.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

junglepete

Totally in again...thanks for your effort in putting this together every year Nathan.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

toby2

thx for another year. i'm in of course!

appollo

Count me in to Nathan this is a great cause

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.