Your first encounter with a cigar

Started by horrido, 08/30/2015 07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrido

After reading sevencardstuds kids encounter with his humidor what was your first encounter with a cigar good or bad? I know mine was borrowing my dads packs of wine tipped cigars and chewing the the crap out of them then trying to smoke them. It didn't turn out well. Got a leather belt for my efforts and almost turned a different green color my mother laughed as father took out his can of whoop ass. :-0
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

toby2

bought a pack of cigars from the drug store. the green American market candela. smoked them all in one day. i was already smoking so i didn't get sick. about 7th grade.

Camshaft83

My dad caught me stealing his cigarettes when I was in 5th grade and made me smoke the whole pack. He threw in a cigar for good measure. I was sick as hell. It kind of backfired on him though because I ended up smoking anyway.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

millarddj

Nothing so dramatic here. I was curious and covertly smoked a Black & Mild in the alley behind the convenience store at the tail end of college. A month or two later, I shared an 8 pack of Backwoods Honey on the lake while boating with my brother. The latter was very pleasant and made the social aspect appeal to me.

No sickness for me until I had my third real cigar by myself a couple of months ago and smoked it way too fast. Learned my lesson in a hurry. :biggrin:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Cfickter

It was the summer of 92, her skin was lightly kissed by the sun, I believe she was from Nicaragua, he body was firm and the wife was out..
Oh wait yeah the cigar, I don't remember that one
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

junglepete

15 years old, a shared pack of Colt's Wine Tipped...I believe it's a Canadian thing.

Mid twenties smoked a cigar in Cuba...turned a little green I dare say :shamebag:

Tried again at 40...started with Macanudo, and the rest is history.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

danb6177

wow i dont even remember. I had smoked some black n milds "back in the day". But then again "back in the day" I pretty much smoked everything that was smokable . I was probably 15-16 I think
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

lubrix

Think I was 5 or 6. Great grand father was smoking a cigar. I asked him if it was good. He put it by my mouth told me to suck in. I did and coughed for awhile.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

headfirst

Mine was at a bachelor party.  We walked into a cigar shop and bought cheapies, I hated it and didn't mind that it went out on me.  Then several years later somebody split a cuban with me and transformed my impression of cigars, thus the journey began...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

I was 10 years old . . . my 13 year old cousin got cigarettes somewhere and our grandfather caught us.  Took us out behind the barn and told us hat if we wanted to smoke we had to smoke like men.  Made us each smoke a candela Optima (which is what he smoked) and said that he wasn't going to waste these and we HAD to finish it.  I recall turning greener than the candela and puking on he side of the barn (and then he made me hose that off!)

Cured me of any smoking urge for another 10 years.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

MIngmire

Had just turned 18 and was like yeeeah I can buy whatever I want besides alcohols. So ended up buying a pack of Black & Milds and a zippo lighter.
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. -Elbert Hubbard

bmac7754

I was taking my dads cigarettes around 14.  Marlboro's were $8 a carton on base and my dad had at least 6 cartons in the closet and never noticed any missing.  As far as a cigar, I used to buy swisher sweets with the wooden tip in high school at the gas station.  Me and my friends thought that was the coolest thing.  I went about 21 years without smoking any cigar when I got introduced to the premium cigar we smoke today.  I never knew these were out there.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

MT21

I started with Tjiuana Smalls at about 15 or 16.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

bigjohn20081983

I had alot of Uncles that smoked cigars that where around when I was younger. (Man I wish I could smoke a few with those old timers now) Never really thought much about them until I turned 18 and I was given that first rocky as a gift and I have been smoking cigars off and on ever since.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

MacMac

I was smoking Cigs when I was about 12 years old (when I could get away with it. Used to pull tobacco leaves out of my grandfathers curing barn and roll it in notebook paper to smoke. Not sure whether to call those cig or cigars  :biggrin:
First real cigar was a Swisher Sweet bought at a place in town that didn't care how old you were. They sold me and my friends whatever we wanted.
Joe
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

STL_Cohiba

QuoteCfickter - 8/29/2015  1:21 PM

It was the summer of 92, her skin was lightly kissed by the sun, I believe she was from Nicaragua, he body was firm and the wife was out..
Oh wait yeah the cigar, I don't remember that one

Chuck that was great.

My First experience was with a box of pre embargo Cubans my dad had. I was 11 or 12 years old I want to say. I took a couple and proceeded to smoke each one back to back while sit in the Garage with the door closed. It was love at first sight. By my junior year in HS I was smoking Macanudo Ascots on a regular basis
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

tucktuck911

the first cigar I had  was in Afghanistan, from a care package. there musta been 200 cigars in the box. after coming back early one morning from an all night foot patrol my PLT SGT gave us each one. (and kept the rest for himself). really great cigar forget what it was but it was a boxed pressed something or another....  im an ex cig smoker  it wasn't until I was out until I really started smoking.

StogieDad

Quotetucktuck911 - 8/31/2015  12:02 PM

the first cigar I had  was in Afghanistan, from a care package. there musta been 200 cigars in the box. after coming back early one morning from an all night foot patrol my PLT SGT gave us each one. (and kept the rest for himself). really great cigar forget what it was but it was a boxed pressed something or another....  im an ex cig smoker  it wasn't until I was out until I really started smoking.

That's pretty cool.  We have the Cigars For Troops drive that nwb runs every year going on right now.  Neat to hear someone who a like effort turned to the hobby.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

appollo

I quit smoking when I was in my early thirties and took uo smoking old port cigers.Use to break them in half smoke half at a time.At this time I inhaled them I guess was substatuting for cigs.Anyways six years ago went to Cuba picked up some sticks there and progressed towhere I am now. :-)

freakydeakydutchman

I have a uncle who on my 17th birthday sat me down with a beer and a cigar he had. It was nice, we smoked and drank and talked. just the two of us. we are still close to this day even though I haven't seen him in years.
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

johncw

I think I was around 22-23 some friends and I bought some philly blunts I think it was. Went to a party thinking we were cool.. I couldn't get that ash tray taste out of my mouth for a couple of days it seemed... Didn't smoke another cigar until my 40th Birthday. We were at a Bocce ball place and a friend bought me a cigar. I think it was RP edge... I was pretty lit so don't quite remember everything... Anyways 2 years later I'm enjoying the hobby a lot.

sevencardstud

Very interesting encounters. I wish my kids had not had this one. I did attempt to make many precautions to prevent this. With the exception of a lock. It was placed high out of their reach. I did not smoke cigars around them. Talked to them about not touching them etc.

My first encounter was at a wedding. I recall smelling the cigar, which I later learned was flavoured, and loved the smell. I just had to have one. I went straight out and bought a cigar. I had no idea the one the guy had so I just bought it based on the store guys suggestion. It was actually a bad place to buy a cigar, it was basically a grocery store that happen to sell the cigars. The guy really had no selection and no knowledge. My cigar smelled good, but not nearly as good as the one from the wedding.  I did enjoy the cigar but did not smoke another cigar for a year or so. But slowly over time I started smoking them more regularly and learning more and more. Which eventually lead me to here.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

Ken Kelley

Heh! My first encounter with a cigar was when I was about 5 or 6. My grandpa smoked King Edwards. He laid one down one time and I picked it up and I puffed on it for a bit and thought I was just like him. I think it took about four or five puffs for the nicotine to kick in and I'm sure I turned as green as grass. All I remember from that point on was puking my guts out. Should have taught me a life lesson but it didn't....so here I am!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

horrido

Quotetucktuck911 - 8/31/2015  10:02 AM

So what you are saying 8 guys got one cigar each and he kept 192 sticks????? What the! :-0
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.