Cigar temperature and humidity monitoring

Started by hebron, 09/10/2015 11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

For those who know me; I think it's no secret that I am quite fond of electronics. Our home security system will verify that  :biggrin:

I have my tupperdor boxes in a wine cabinet to ensure stable temperatures, it's been a pretty hot summer here. This week I installed a climate sensor in that cabinet, meaning that the temperature and humidity is now monitored bu the home security system. Values and graphs are available on the computer, and mobile phone. And if it become too warm, or cold I get an instant notification  :biggrin:

And yes; I store them at quote low temperatures. Between 16 and 18 'C (60-65 F).

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

appollo

Nice set-up looks like it works very well :thumbsup:

toby2

Jay'D

I look forward to the day i can do that, right now I'm at the mercy of the atmosphere here. All i can do is try keep it below 70% humidity and look forward to when the temp gets back to under 80degrees.  :-(
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Mojo66

Awesome setup Thomas. It's good to hear from you.

Lower temp, as far as I know, only is a problem for aging as it seems lower temps equal slower aging of the cigars. But for everything else lower temps are a plus (less chances of mold and bugs).
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

danb6177

QuoteJay'D - 9/11/2015  9:35 AM

I look forward to the day i can do that, right now I'm at the mercy of the atmosphere here. All i can do is try keep it below 70% humidity and look forward to when the temp gets back to under 80degrees.  :-(

pick up a cheap wine cooler just for your cigars. Im seriously considering it myself. Florida summers suck and running the air in my house at 70 degrees is getting expensive.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Jay'D

Quotedanb6177 - 9/11/2015  4:58 PM

pick up a cheap wine cooler just for your cigars. Im seriously considering it myself. Florida summers suck and running the air in my house at 70 degrees is getting expensive.

It's hard to come by a cheap wine cooler where I'm at and shipping something like that to the Virgin Islands is next to non existant. So my options are thin and limited, it sucks when you don't live on the main lands, not many options.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

danb6177

QuoteJay'D - 9/11/2015  5:02 PM

It's hard to come by a cheap wine cooler where I'm at and shipping something like that to the Virgin Islands is next to non existant. So my options are thin and limited, it sucks when you don't live on the main lands, not many options.

ahh good point. Didnt think of that
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

hebron

Thanks for the kind words every one, and yes; even though I might not post a lot these days I am very much alive and well. Boys have started kindergarten, seems like only yesterday they were barfing all over me in the middle of the night :p

QuoteMojo66 - 9/11/2015  10:31 PM

Awesome setup Thomas. It's good to hear from you.

Lower temp, as far as I know, only is a problem for aging as it seems lower temps equal slower aging of the cigars. But for everything else lower temps are a plus (less chances of mold and bugs).

Always a pleasure brother :) Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. But at the rate I am smoking now-a-days, slow aging is probably good. Plus; the lower risk of bugs and mold make me sleep better at night  :biggrin:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

sevencardstud

Sweet deal, maybe I should do the same.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

RDF

The engineer in me really likes the setup and the monitoring graph.
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

DonM

Quotehebron - 9/11/2015  3:59 AM

For those who know me; I think it's no secret that I am quite fond of electronics. Our home security system will verify that  :biggrin:

I have my tupperdor boxes in a wine cabinet to ensure stable temperatures, it's been a pretty hot summer here. This week I installed a climate sensor in that cabinet, meaning that the temperature and humidity is now monitored bu the home security system. Values and graphs are available on the computer, and mobile phone. And if it become too warm, or cold I get an instant notification  :biggrin:

And yes; I store them at quote low temperatures. Between 16 and 18 'C (60-65 F).

Sweet setup Thomas I like it!

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

I like this setup for a number of reasons;

- It's (obviously) easy to maintain a stable temperature.
- It's quite easy to find stuff.
- Any mold or beetle damage is limited to one tupperdor.
- The Boveda packs lasts for a long time, since almost no humidity is lost.
- I can easily bring a box into the office to dig around in.

The monitoring part is awesome of course ;)
- Thomas

hebron

Thanks Don, long time no talk btw friend :)
- Thomas

DonM

You must go broke when the electric bill comes!  I lived across the bay from you until I moved to Crystal River. I set my thermostat @ 75 for the summer and have never had problems. The trick is keeping your RH @ 65 and you will be fine. Mine 500 ct sits right under the AC vent, I just keep the beads hydrated and I am fine

"The Curmudgeon"

danb6177

QuoteDonM - 9/11/2015  7:19 PM

You must go broke when the electric bill comes!  I lived across the bay from you until I moved to Crystal River. I set my thermostat @ 75 for the summer and have never had problems. The trick is keeping your RH @ 65 and you will be fine. Mine 500 ct sits right under the AC vent, I just keep the beads hydrated and I am fine

Thats funny I keep mine in exactly the same spot. Right under the vent. Thats cool you live at the river. I live in pasco and have been to the plant up there many times.

Oh and electric bill in summer is 500+
-----

wescat

Nice setup Thomas. I agree that temperature control is important to long term tobacco storage.

I use a Johnson Controls A419 in the cabinet I built, it performs flawlessly, nice controller:   http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125188.PDF#xml=http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/search_lit.aspx?cmd=pdfhitms&DocId=573&Index=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5c72%2e3%2e145%2e66%5cquicklit%5cexcaliburCD&HitCount=5&hits=b30+b57+135d+1480+14ad+&hc=19&req=a419abc

And I use a Lascar USB datalogger to monitor my cabinets atmosphere, it is also a damn nice device, IMO:    http://www.tequipment.net/LascarEL-USB-2-LCD+.html?Source=Google

It has a nice graphing utility:

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Cfickter

Awesome Thomas, you need to jump back on one of the herfs!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cigary

I could seriously sit in front of that and just stare at it like it's cable TV.

hebron

Quotewescat - 9/12/2015  2:09 PM

Nice setup Thomas. I agree that temperature control is important to long term tobacco storage.

I use a Johnson Controls A419 in the cabinet I built, it performs flawlessly, nice controller:   http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125188.PDF#xml=http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/search_lit.aspx?cmd=pdfhitms&DocId=573&Index=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5c72%2e3%2e145%2e66%5cquicklit%5cexcaliburCD&HitCount=5&hits=b30+b57+135d+1480+14ad+&hc=19&req=a419abc

And I use a Lascar USB datalogger to monitor my cabinets atmosphere, it is also a damn nice device, IMO:    http://www.tequipment.net/LascarEL-USB-2-LCD+.html?Source=Google

It has a nice graphing utility:

Sweet! :D
- Thomas

hebron

QuoteCfickter - 9/12/2015  3:50 PM

Awesome Thomas, you need to jump back on one of the herfs!

Yes brother, we need to make that happen!
- Thomas

cajun600

Nice, have a buddy who has something similar in his 3000+ ct cabinet humidor.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.