Rotating cigars in boxes?

Started by dwinstl, 09/13/2015 05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwinstl

We have all heard the idea of rotating our long term storage/aging cigars, I was chatting with a gentleman recently who mentioned he rotates cigars within full or  partially full boxes regularly. I have never done this. I have never even purposely "rotated" the boxes themselves other then when adding new boxes and   inevitably  having to play a game of "cigarbox Tetris" to fit them in my foot locker humidor. Any thoughts on this? Is there a real need to rotate cigars at all? 
-David

lubrix

I will open boxes from time time to inspect for mold or other issues but that's about it.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Longhorn

I use trays to store my cigars and rotate the inventory regularly.

Jay'D

Well I just started to buy by the box, but I guess it does make sense somewhat to rotate them, just how it makes sense to rotate cigars in the humidor.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

appollo

I will check every 4-6 weeks for mold and such and will rotate some then but that is about bit. :-)

kuke

I rotate every couple of months.  Apparently air circulation and humidity levels vary throughout the humidor.

ntanner

My rummaging is about all the rotation they get but I do it about 2 times a week so my stock get's completely rotated at least once each month it seem's.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

sevencardstud

lol i smoke them too fast to rotate them at this point. when i have more storage ill have to rotate them.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

Cigary

Rotation has always been something of a debate...I used to do it regularly and then stopped and didn't see any change in quality.  I do know that we need to keep our RH/Temps where they belong and as far as wood humidors are concerned they are consumer friendly as far as the exchange of air...wood is porous while tupperware isn't.  I have a lot of tupperadors that are "air tight" so rotation and air exchange seem to be more important in that area.

headfirst

For what it's worth in my short time with the hobby (a couple years) the only mold I've seen is with a cigar jar where it's very air tight, and that's with opening the jars once a week for a little bit to let some fresh air in, but not shuffling the cigars around.  I find that it's so easy to nick the wrapper on cigars that don't have cello so I'm hesitant to move things around a whole lot.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.