Forehead slap momemt ***Dope!!!***

Started by plnortham, 09/23/2015 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plnortham

In my humidor, I have a top tray that holds about 10-12 cigars.  It has slats to allow humidity to travel throughout the humidor.  Under the tray is a larger holding area that holds about 35-40 cigars, along with my humidifiers.  Well, I loaded up my top tray.  After I did this, my humidity went down to around 64% and stayed there and wouldn't go up.  I tried new Xikar humidifier beads, kitty litter.  Nothing worked.  It then occurred to me that I had blocked off circulation to the top of my humidor (Where my hygrometer is) by stacking my top tray too full.  I removed a couple and now my humidor sits at 69% consistently.  Lesson learned, eh? Let your humidor circulate!
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Cigary

Yep....a common mistake that makes our lives anxious...once we find the answer all is right with the world.

Brlesq

We've all been there.  Don't sweat it.

BTW, I keep my cigars at 65%, as do many of the more experienced members.  It is a personal choice based upon how you like the burn and flavor, but generally you will have less issues (plugged cigars, split wrappers, mold, etc) at the lower humidity.  Experiment, and find what is best for you.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

plnortham

Common mistake huh?  Interesting. But yes, all is right in the world now.  Add my couple of squirts of water to my kitty litter once a week or so and it stays there.  I know for sure I don't like it higher than 70%, but haven't had it long enough to know exactly where below 70% I like it.
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

05Venturer

QuoteBrlesq - 9/23/2015  6:20 PM

We've all been there.  Don't sweat it.

BTW, I keep my cigars at 65%, as do many of the more experienced members.  It is a personal choice based upon how you like the burn and flavor, but generally you will have less issues (plugged cigars, split wrappers, mold, etc) at the lower humidity.  Experiment, and find what is best for you.

x2  65% is the sweet spot for me  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

plnortham

Good to know. Sounds like I may have to bring it down to 65% and see how it goes.
Phil Northam

nirab

62-65% for me too. As long as I am somewhere near this range, I am good to go...well, my cigars are anyway!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.