Does mold grow on cellophane? How about acrylic?

Started by headfirst, 09/30/2015 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

YES?!  I have a couple cigar jar humidors made of acrylic with the spanish cedar veneer bottom and I took a close look at the one that I disturb less frequently (I haven't moved the cigars for months but I do pop the lid every couple weeks at least) to discover mold beginning to form at the bottom of the jar.  The mold was on the acrylic near the bottom, on the spanish cedar veneer, and on the outside of the cellophane.  I wiped the cellophane without removing the cigars and the mold came right off.  I guess with these jars popping the lid now and then is not enough, you need to let the fresh air get to the bottom of the jar as well.

Another case and point as to why I am a cello ON person, no harm done to any of the cigars.

Just thought I'd share as I never would have guessed mold would grow anywhere but on the cigar when there's no real food for the mold, but I guess the wood veneer became the food? :confused:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

bigjohn20081983

My cigar jar has not had that issue yet but it also is lacking the ceder in it.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

bmac7754

I have a couple of those same jars and have seen that start to happen.  In my experience I think it was because I had those cheap water pillows in there and they drip. I don't keep cigars in there anymore, they have been the home for my cigar bands.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Ken Kelley

Mold will grow just about anywhere. With the exception of AF Anejos I've never had mold on any cigars in the cello...but the viola is a different matter!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

vw77guy

I would assume that since the jar is more air tight than a humidor, it would be more prone to mold growth.  I always "burp" my jars, tupperware, traveldors, etc.  Anything air tight needs a breath of fresh air from time to time.

Ken Kelley

Quotevw77guy - 9/30/2015  8:16 PM

I would assume that since the jar is more air tight than a humidor, it would be more prone to mold growth.  I always "burp" my jars, tupperware, traveldors, etc.  Anything air tight needs a breath of fresh air from time to time.

Do you have Prince Albert in a can???  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

C130Driver

Quotebmac7754 - 9/30/2015  9:43 PM

I have a couple of those same jars and have seen that start to happen.  In my experience I think it was because I had those cheap water pillows in there and they drip. I don't keep cigars in there anymore, they have been the home for my cigar bands.

And the subject of contests!
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

headfirst

So after emptying and cleaning my jar I put in a digital hygrometer and closed it back up...81%?!  81% in an empty cigar jar that I had just cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.  No wonder mold was growing!

I use the small sponge humidifier that comes with it and I put the 70% cigar juice stuff in it, not water.  How is it possible to be at 81%?!  A digital hygrometer that can't be calibrated that I had checked initially using the old salt and water technique shouldn't be off that much.

I'm actually wondering if it should just be about half a charge on the humidifier?  It doesn't seem like one of those small humidifiers is too much for that size jar.

I just don't understand 81% in an empty jar with cigar juice as the humidification.  Thoughts anyone?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

headfirst

And by the way it was about 75 degrees, so temperature wasn't really influencing it.
-Charles Spurgeon

ninfiction

I use a Boveda for my jar, never had any issues. I would be leary of using the foam. It's a one way humidifier so if you start with high humidity, it'll just stay high. The Boveda will suck out as much of the humidity as it can, well down to it's stated RH. I prefer 65%.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

05Venturer

QuoteKen Kelley - 10/1/2015  7:36 AM

Quotevw77guy - 9/30/2015  8:16 PM

Do you have Prince Albert in a can???  :biggrin:

Let him out!!!! :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Mojo66

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Jackal

Ask your local B&M manager.  He will tell you that is plume.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

DonM

As suggested, I would use a Boveda in one of those jars.  I wouldn't recommend to anyone using the old school sponge and PG solution with today's technology with beads or Boveda's.  Heartfelt has a small puck of beads you could stick to the lid that would work IMO

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.