Copper lined humidors?

Started by headfirst, 10/27/2015 05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

I see these antique humidors all the time on craigslist.  Does anybody have/use one?  I think it'd be cool to have an antique like that but not sure if it's smart to use it as intended.  I would think the copper might affect the taste of the cigars if stored long term.

Any thoughts/info on this? :?:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Cfickter

I am pretty sure that Kent. 05Venturer picked one up
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Mojo66

I have an old humidor lined with Copper but I don't use it as a humidor, but it's a nice deco piece.  But I don't think there is any safety issues with Copper and it doesn't usually emit any kind of smell.

It even has some antibacterial properties.  But then, I have read that they are not that good (at least not optimal) for aging purposes but can be effectively used for transition humidors of short term storage.

Just my $0.02

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

STL_Cohiba

I was told by an cigar shop owner that the copper lined humidors are actually very good. They work great.
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

Jackal

Copper is a very good anti-microbial.  That is why they make doorknobs out of copper alloys (bronze, brass, etc)

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

C130Driver

I am sure it would be fine, but when I think of a copper humidor I just envision lighting up to discover it tastes like sucking on a penny.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

05Venturer

I have one and love it, it works great and I have never had any problems. I use it for my daily humidor. Here is the thread with what I have. Picked it up about a year ago.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=31189.0
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

05Venturer

here is the thread containing the pics of the trays terrys1991 was kind enough to build for me.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=31260.0
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

C130Driver

That's pretty cool actually. It's certainly unique. Do you have to do anything special to keep it from turning green?
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

headfirst

Wow, $30 for that thing was a great deal Kent.  How well is it holding humidity?  And also curious on the question regarding tendency to tarnish.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

05Venturer

Quoteheadfirst - 10/27/2015  1:23 PM

Wow, $30 for that thing was a great deal Kent.  How well is it holding humidity?  And also curious on the question regarding tendency to tarnish.

Holds humidity just fine and I have had zero problems with any tarnishing in the 11 months I have had it.
With the 2 spanish cedar trays that Terry built for me that is more than enough to help with humidity stabilization.
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if I found a deal again.  :thumbsup:
Kent

sevencardstud

Weird. I have never seen a copper lined one. I would love to see and possibly get one.
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -Mark Twain

Ken Kelley

Copper was one of the common lining materials for early humidors and so was glass. The wood surrounding the glass or copper was there for decorative purposes because the hide glue of the time was extremely sensitive to moisture. The joints couldn't take the humidity required for cigars so the stress tore them apart. It wasn't until the advent of more or less modern adhesives that were moisture resistant that all wood humidors became possible. Any humidor made of any material will do as long as it retains moisture and doesn't contribute to off tastes. Tupperdores are a prime example and work extremely well as long as you let some air exchange happen every so often.

This ain't rocket science, folks. Cigars are a lot tougher than you think so you don't have to baby them like tender shoots. Don't get so wrapped up in the nonessentials that you forget what they're for!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

cavenbk

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clo/5272462229.html

Here's another one for you Kent. Not in as good of shape as the one you have already, but looks like it has potential. If I had the money I would pull the trigger :(
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

MacMac

Good read....looks like the copper can be very good. I have an old refrigerator that is metal lined. It's the old kind that used a block of ice to keep it cold. I plan to make it a humidor if my stash ever gets large enough.

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

bstessl

QuoteMacMac - 10/27/2015  10:32 PM

Good read....looks like the copper can be very good. I have an old refrigerator that is metal lined. It's the old kind that used a block of ice to keep it cold. I plan to make it a humidor if my stash ever gets large enough.

Thats a pretty ballsy statement to make on this site...  :lmao:
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

MacMac

Quotebstessl - 10/27/2015  11:59 PM  
QuoteMacMac - 10/27/2015  10:32 PM  

Thats a pretty ballsy statement to make on this site...  :lmao:
p

Cigar stash ... That is....

:shades:
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

plnortham

This forum is starting to turn into the Devil site just like, dare I say it?, CB.  Who'd have thunk it. Now I think I need more stuff for my collection.
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.