Favorite Scotch & Cigar Pairings?

Started by mcdimond, 11/05/2009 10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdimond

Scotch drinkers, what are your favorite Scotch & Cigar pairings?
Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

akira

I love Glenfiddich 15 with anything at anytime.  Glenrothes 1991 bottled in 2008 is also awesome, but a bit pricier so it isn't my daily drink.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

akira

I usually smoke spicier blends on the line of DPG blends, but I really think the scotch I mention above goes well with the slightly sweet maduros.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

Samhain2000

Johnny Walker Black with any cigar.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

DennisA

My current choice is 12 year old Aberlour. I think it goes well with any smoke.
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

zbabroudi

A cup of Macallan's and an AVO Domain.

rkarkada

There are so many good ones...

My favorites would be Balvenie 21, Glenlivet 18 and Johnny Walker Blue.

Also, I think Bourbon is awesome with cigars, and plus, it's a little more reasonable in price than single malts.  My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve (it rocks!!) and Blantens is also good.

With scotch or bourbon, I prefer full-bodied cigars, my favorite one lately is the Bolivar Cofarida. The other day I had a Diesel Unholy Cocktail with some Woodford Reserve, they went great together – a marriage made in heaven!

mcdimond

One distiller has a "Cigar Malt" on the market, but I don't remember who. Anyone familiar with it?
Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

mcdimond

Quoterkarkada - 11/6/2009  6:46 AM

There are so many good ones...

My favorites would be Balvenie 21, Glenlivet 18 and Johnny Walker Blue.

Also, I think Bourbon is awesome with cigars, and plus, it's a little more reasonable in price than single malts.  My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve (it rocks!!) and Blantens is also good.

With scotch or bourbon, I prefer full-bodied cigars, my favorite one lately is the Bolivar Cofarida. The other day I had a Diesel Unholy Cocktail with some Woodford Reserve, they went great together – a marriage made in heaven!

I have some Bolivar Cofradia on the way. While I drink more bourbon than scotch, I feel a scotch mood coming on... I'll have to see which they go better with (scotch or bourbon).
Michael

Fun Fact:

Ray240

QuoteOne distiller has a "Cigar Malt" on the market, but I don't remember who. Anyone familiar with it?

Dalmore makes a "Cigar Malt" I have a bottle of it and it's actually a pretty good scotch. Johnnie Walker Black is my favorite goto scotch with pretty much any cigar. I've recently been drinking Chivas Regal 18 year and that also pairs well with whatever cigar i'm in the mood for.

Beegerply

Although it is a blended Scotch, I like Dewars and a HdM
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

southernpacifico

Any single malt with most any cigar(no dog rockets :nono: )
 :smoker:  :drinking:  :smoker:
Things I believe:
Life is too short not to pull the trigger!
The best cigar, I haven't smoked yet.
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

DocJazzRH

A standing favorite is Macallan 18 year old... :thumbsup:
Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

NES Tek

I'll name my most recent enjoyed pairing...Glenfiddich 12 year with a Di Fazio Connecticut Duble Robusto!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

JDavidH

For me, the pairing of a good Kentucky Bourbon and your favorite cigar is one of those little pleasures that makes life good.  I am fortunate enough to live right in the heart of KY Bourbon country (the Woodford Reserve distillery is less than 8 miles from my house) and it IS a great Bourbon.

I'd like to suggest these bourbons for those of you who enjoy the stuff: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russel's Reserve 10 yr, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Elijah Craig 18 yr, and 4 Roses Single Barrel.  These are all moderately priced bourbons in the $28 to $43 range for 750ml, but lordy you'll get a lot of SMOOTH TASTE for your buck.

Pairing the Wild Turkey Rare Breed and an Oliva V is, for me, the perfect end to any day.

When I drink Scotch (which is not often) I usually pour up some Highland Park 18 year.

TheEND

Just last night, I went to a cigar lounge/bar in Rochester and I enjoyed a johnny walker blue label with a 601 habano.  These two are great apart or together.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

southernpacifico

Eric,

The Johnny Blue, mucho $$$

I found a single by the name of Old Punteney. A good scotch for 35.00

I do too like the Aberlour

:smoker:
Things I believe:
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

jadacan

The Dalmore Cigar Malt is really good with cigars.  It is not too peaty, so it goes well with all cigars from mild to full flavor.

I am personally loving a new bourbon I discovered on the rocks with my cigars.
It is Eagle Rare 10yr old. I get it for $24 dollars in my town.
It is very smooth.  Very drinkable, more body and less floral than makers mark.

http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-bourbon-eagle-rare-10.htm

JDavidH

The Eagle Rare is a GREAT  Bourbon, one of my favorites.

If you like this one, you owe it to yourself to give Russels Reserve 10 year a shot; it's comparably priced with the Eagle Rare, and a little smoother.

PeterO

When I am at the local cigar lounge I usually get a Glenlivet 12. I have paired it with different med-full sticks, but I really enjoyed it with a San Cristobal.

At home I have a bottle of Chivas 18 and pair it with mostly anything in the humi.  Most recently I paired it with a Gran Habano Cabinet Selection and this worked very well.
"One must have faith in the best in men and distrust the worst. One must allow the best to be shown so that it reveals and prevails over the worst."-Jose Marti

jadacan

Will have to try the Russell Reserve this friday! :dancing:

jadacan

Ok...after JDavidH suggestions...and looking at some whiskeys reviews online...I have new plans for friday.
Gonna try the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Sounds great. Saw it at a store in town for 30 bucks with two glasses in a nice wooden case.  So for Friday.....

1 bottle Wild Turkey Rare Breed....
A Man O War (6x60) and an Oliva Series V (6x60) that have been sitting in my humidor for around 200 days...
My beautiful stinky ashtray comes in from CI this wednesday....
I got my poker table that I customized with rope lights....
Gonna put Pandora on Willie Nelson, pull out the chips and cards, call up a couple of buddies.
Is it friday yet?! :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

nwb

Sounds like a good time  :biggrin:

nwb
Chief of Shaft

southernpacifico

I went to find me the Eagles Rare and the Russell's Reserve.
I found bothh
eagle Rare  34.00 Ouch

Russel"s Reserve  28.00, not bad

But, on the Bourbon shelf was a bottle of Evan Williams. The normal price 49.00, sale price 28.99 :cheer:   I have never had this before, but for 20.00 off. It was a no BRAINIER!!

Me and my BOTL burn one yesterday along with a splash of Evan Williams.  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

:smoker:  :cheers:  :smoker:
Things I believe:
SMOKE ON BOTLs

Beegerply

Quotesouthernpacifico - 2/21/2010  1:05 PM

I went to find me the Eagles Rare and the Russell's Reserve.
I found bothh
eagle Rare  34.00 Ouch

Russel"s Reserve  28.00, not bad

But, on the Bourbon shelf was a bottle of Evan Williams. The normal price 49.00, sale price 28.99 :cheer:   I have never had this before, but for 20.00 off. It was a no BRAINIER!!

Me and my BOTL burn one yesterday along with a splash of Evan Williams.  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

:smoker:  :cheers:  :smoker:

I'm not a Bourbon drinker that Evan Williams should would make me a one really nice and smooth :drinking:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.