Anything good in Mexico?

Started by Olejay, 11/11/2009 06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olejay

A coworker of mine is heading down there next month, and we were wondering, is there anything there cigar wise worth bringing back?  :shades:

Jay
Jay  

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics - Fletcher Knebel

consti

I would say some ISOM's but since you are from Canada, that won't be a big deal.
-Justin

junglepete

Lots of fakes down there...buyer beware....buy only in reputable cigar shops, not from table dealers in 5 star hotels. Good cigars are not cheap by any means in Mexico. I have seen Fake Macanudos, Fake Fuentes, and Fake Davidoffs.  :confused:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

consti

Good point Pete... I have a buddy who frequently travels back and forth between Houston and Mexico and he always produces a decent amount of ISOMs. He gave me a Monte once and it wasn't anything fantastic. To be honest, it was sub-par. He then gave me a Cohiba Siglo IV on a separate occasion and it wasn't anywhere as good as the first one I had. I was extremely disappointed with it. I wonder if it was just a bum stick or if it was a fake (I am more likely inclined to believe the latter.)
-Justin

ljlemer

I like the Tabamex brand. Mexico also makes cigars now with imported tobacco under the Te-Amo label that are supposed to be good. You might get other regional cigars there cheaply, but, as the others warned, skip the top names, which are worth counterfeiting.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

junglepete

A guy brought me back some Don Fonso's once that were pretty good. At least they were real!  :biggrin:  by the way, everyone and their brothers sell Cohibas out of their tourist shops....they all claim them to be the real deal....forget about it...they are all fakes!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

rkarkada

Teamo is not that bad.  I had one a few months ago...

akira

If you want the real ISOMs you can go to the La Casa del Habano shops.  These are sanctioned by the Cuban government so they have the real deal, but not cheap.  I don't know how their prices compare to Canada so here is a link if you want to contact them or look up their locations.  http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/site/content/view/31/52/lang,english/

Have fun down there!
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

mountedshriner

Try "La Casa del Habano" in Tijuana. Fantastic cigars rolled by an elderly Cuban torcedor. The next best thing to Havana. In Ensenada there is the "La Habana Tabaqueria" that sells an amazing array of "true" Cubans, not fakes.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Sticks

I'm not a big fan of Mexican cigars and maybe real ISOM's can be had at a much lower price due to the lack of the high taxes that you Canadians have to deal with up your way. Even a knockoff Cuban would be better than a Mexican cigar if the price is right.

lowpro75

QuoteSticks - 11/12/2009  8:29 PM

I'm not a big fan of Mexican cigars and maybe real ISOM's can be had at a much lower price due to the lack of the high taxes that you Canadians have to deal with up your way. Even a knockoff Cuban would be better than a Mexican cigar if the price is right.

Ditto.  Most of the time when I see a cigar that has Mexican tobacco, I pass.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Twinky

QuoteSticks - 11/12/2009  8:29 PM

I avoid Mexican tobacco at all costs. I wouldnt buy a cigar in Mexico, reguardles of alleged country of orgin, unless it came from a very reputable shop and had a resonable price tag. A $5 Cuban, probly aint Cuban.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Olejay

Thanks for all the info guys! :shades:    Might have to give some of the regionals a try, just to see.... you never know what you might like I guess?

Jay
Jay  

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics - Fletcher Knebel

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.