weather changes and humidor adjustments

Started by headfirst, 11/04/2015 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headfirst

So over here in Southern California we had an unusually humid summer and the usual heat.  This last week the weather seemed to decide once and for all to cool down and dry up.  And it's been very noticeable in the humidors, across the board they're too dry now.  I made sure the beads and boveda were charged, etc as a first move and didn't see much change.  Then I added a water pillow here and there as usually it just takes a small adjustment to bring things back.  I've now temporarily put in some sponge humidifiers with cigar juice as a way to boost the available moisture in the humidors, and that seems to be gradually raising the humidity back up.

My question is:  is this a common occurrence when a definable permanent change in weather happens and do you guys bother with compensating the humidity or does it just take some time (like a week or soemthing) for the humidors to acclimate?  Just wondering if I'm too jumpy or doing the right thing by attacking it when I see it.

Thanks.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Camshaft83

Here in Utah I have to add humidifiers during the winter because of drops in humidity.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

ntanner

I get seasonal fluctuation here in New Mexico and compensate using gel jars. I open them as the RH starts to drop off and then close them down as thing's go back up. My humi is pretty full so my fluctuation is minimal but I keep it between 63 and 67 RH pretty easily this way. I always have boveda packs in there but when I notice them struggling to keep up I find the jars nice as I can open or close as many as I need to. You could probably get the same result's or even better by adding more boveda pack's.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

plnortham

Interesting.  I never thought of this, as I am still new to smoking cigars.  However, it does make sense.  I will be sure to keep an eye more closely on my stash now.  Thanks for the inadvertent heads up!
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

DonM

I am the reverse, the AC in summer dries the inside humidity so I spray the beads more. In winter, the humi holds steady for longer periods

"The Curmudgeon"

Mojo66

I'll spray the beads a bit more when winter comes and it gets drier but I do live on an island so it's pretty humid all year long even if a little drier in the depth of winter.

But more and more, as long as the humidors are all showing something between 62 and 67, I'm a happy camper.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

toby2

i guess so in a way. i have to use a humidifier in the coldest months which are February to March. from spring to fall i can just leave the doors open if i wanted. my basement stays in the 60's most of the year. it's 66% right now.

appollo

Yep it has changed here in Nova Scotia Its a lot drier I have to keep a lot sharper eye on the humidly now in my humidors. I will probably have to start my cigar oasis up in my large one to keep the humidity right.

Longhorn

QuoteCamshaft83 - 11/4/2015  5:33 PM

Here in Utah I have to add humidifiers during the winter because of drops in humidity.

This.  When cooler, drier weather hits, more H2O is needed.  Kitty litter seems to work really well as a "kick" to my normal humidifiers.  The litter releases moisture as needed, but absorbs if the rH climbs.

Good luck, Gary.  :-)

Vroomp

Due to a week of warm wet weather I have been placing large silica packs in my towers to absorb extra humidity~!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

headfirst

Thanks everyone for your input.  This is my second winter season with storing cigars and I just didn't remember this phenomenon happening last year, probably because we don't get an actual winter in L.A.  But I think going from the unusual consistently humid summer season to the suddenly drier cooler fall weather made it a more pronounced issue this time.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

MacMac

I'm having the opposite problem. All spring and summer, I've been using a 50/50 distilled water and ppg solution. My humidor has held steady at 70%. Now it is beginning to creep up towards 75%. I'm thinking of putting a small open container of car litter in the humidor. Is this a good solution or is there a better way?
Thanks!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Vroomp

QuoteMacMac - 11/7/2015  9:29 PM  I'm having the opposite problem. All spring and summer, I've been using a 50/50 distilled water and ppg solution. My humidor has held steady at 70%. Now it is beginning to creep up towards 75%. I'm thinking of putting a small open container of car litter in the humidor. Is this a good solution or is there a better way?  Thanks!

I just wish this damn rain would stop~!!!! :confused:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

MacMac

We have had a lot of rain here in VA. Great for my newly planed grass....bad for my humidor!

C130Driver

The cat litter should definitely help. If it gets too bad, don't be afraid to open the door and let it air out for a few hours.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

MacMac

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.