Cigar Bombing Addresses available...

Started by SenorPablo, 11/22/2007 11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorPablo

Folks,

I have had several requests for addresses for members in order for other members to send a cigar bomb/gift.  I have updated the account functionality so that you can now select whether you want to make your home address available to other members - members only.

This will allow a member to go to another member's profile (via the members list functionality), click their user name, and see their home address.

In order for your address to be visible to other members, you must go to your account and check the select box that says "Allow members to see your address for cigar bombs?"  By default, addresses are NOT visible to other members until you turn it on.

Cheers!
-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

SenorPablo

BTW...most of the requests for addresses have been from "older" members wanting to bomb newer members.  So if you're a new member you may want to take advantage of this.  Of course...there are no guarantees.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

ljlemer

QuoteSenorPablo - 11/23/2007  12:23 AM

Folks,

I have had several requests for addresses for members in order for other members to send a cigar bomb/gift.  I have updated the account functionality so that you can now select whether you want to make your home address available to other members - members only.

This will allow a member to go to another member's profile (via the members list functionality), click their user name, and see their home address.

In order for your address to be visible to other members, you must go to your account and check the select box that says "Allow members to see your address for cigar bombs?"  By default, addresses are not visible to other members.

Cheers!
-Paul

Is there some way you can change that to ACTIVE members? It looks like 9 out of 10 members are silent lurkers. While we may trust the active participants, who are these other members?

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

Quoteljlemer - 11/23/2007  12:30 AM

Is there some way you can change that to ACTIVE members? It looks like 9 out of 10 members are silent lurkers. While we may trust the active participants, who are these other members?

I could look into that.  Maybe do it by points.  What makes sense?

monteclaro

I would definitely suggest you only allow members who have participated have access to the addresses.  Maybe 100 points?
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

theoldcc

I like the idea, but I also agree that we should not allow just anyone who signs up.  A spammer could easily sign up just to grab addresses.  100 points seem reasonable if it is doable.

"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

NewGuy

I am updated at just the lustful thot of bombed :biggrin: The hundred point anti-spammer idea sounds good.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

SenorPablo

Ok...I added a rule that you must have at least 100 points to be able to see a member's address, otherwise you get a message stating that.

-Paul

kgoings

This is a really cool idea. I have updated my profile.

On the topic of CB's, how do you know what to send? Are people just sending their fav's in order for someone else to enjoy?

mhuss

Quotekgoings - 3/4/2008  7:22 AM

On the topic of CB's, how do you know what to send? Are people just sending their fav's in order for someone else to enjoy?

That's one of the basic ideas, yes.  Another purpose is to just suprise the bombee with a small stash of cigars.  This may be done as a reward for something, or just for the heck of it.

datuttle

I like the sound of the cigar bomb. I did'nt realize that it existed untill a few days ago. Nice way to spread the joy of that new found deal. Bombs away.....

ljlemer

Quotekgoings - 3/4/2008  7:22 AM

There's also a thing called a Krappy cigar bomb. Someone accumulates a lot of bad cigars, say by winning lots of cheap 5 packs at cigarbid, and then he unloads them sending out cluster bombs, getting credit for generosity and making room in his humidors. It's the thought that counts, one man's icky stick is another man's gem. It gives the victim, I mean recipient, extra cigars to review.

Thomas Mann

Christopher62

I'm a newbie and I want to understand this. A "cigar bomb" is someone just sends me some cigars? For free?
~Christopher

jomama20

definately a great idea to have a minimum of 100 pts. i'm updating now....

tnt956

I've never been "bombed." :confused:

stogie_foggie

Me neither.   :biggrin:

I would like to though.  I have enough points, I am in?
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

wunderdawg

All this knowledge, and bombs too?   What a great site. :dancing:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

paulian3

Quite frankly, I think that maybe 4 or 500 points should be the opening.  Any fool could open an account, post a whole bunch of useless replies, and be cigar-bombed.  Either that, or a member's only requirement, and whoever wants to send a package, could.  You're the boss, Paul.  Whatever decision you make shall be honored.

kgoings

Quotepaulian3 - 5/6/2008 5:22 PM Quite frankly, I think that maybe 4 or 500 points should be the opening. Any fool could open an account, post a whole bunch of useless replies, and be cigar-bombed. Either that, or a member's only requirement, and whoever wants to send a package, could. You're the boss, Paul. Whatever decision you make shall be honored.

Or do a deal where you have to complete a couple "transactions", there are a couple other cigar sites out there where you have to complete a newbie trade, pass, whatever.

burn1

kgoings that would be a good idea something like a vet to newbie trade. But a bomb is like a roak just out of the blue without anything expected in return. It is also a good way to get the boards hopping.

ljlemer

Quotepaulian3 - 5/6/2008  8:22 PM

Quite frankly, I think that maybe 4 or 500 points should be the opening.  Any fool could open an account, post a whole bunch of useless replies, and be cigar-bombed.  Either that, or a member's only requirement, and whoever wants to send a package, could.  You're the boss, Paul.  Whatever decision you make shall be honored.

Didn't we trust you in the cigar pass with just 2 points? Any fool can disappear with a free box of cigars. We're a bunch of naive, trusting fools. Besides, it's a a bit of a myth about this cigar bomb thing. It happens, but the chance of anyone getting one is slim. What is the chance you'll send one? See? Even if you do, how many will you send? There are a lot of members here.

Thomas Mann

wunderdawg

I have been on several other forums, and some have minimums, and some don't.  I am more than happy to do "my time" before any passes, pif's whatever.  I have already done a trade here within the first week of my first post.  I don't see a problem with setting a minimum, but you have to start somewhere.  Just my .2 worth.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=wunderdawg

I'm a man...But I can change....If I have to...I guess.............Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving might not be for you!!

paulian3

True points, all, Larry.  I was just trying to point out the fact that, no matter what the system is, somebody can take advantage of it...hence, whatever SenorPablo/Paul sets up is just the way it is going to be.  Back in the old days of ASC, cigar bombs were fairly frequent occurrences as people got to know each other (and no, I wasn't anywhere close to a regular around there, truly weird place), they usually didn't end up being best of the best, but it was a fun bit of cameraderie.  Chances of me bombing someone are actually pretty good--its a good way of sending a thank you to someone who led you down a path you wouldn't otherwise have traveled.  

Paul

bmac7754

QuoteSenorPablo - 11/23/2007  2:23 AM  Folks,  I have had several requests for addresses for members in order for other members to send a cigar bomb/gift.  I have updated the account functionality so that you can now select whether you want to make your home address available to other members - members only.  This will allow a member to go to another member's profile (via the members list functionality), click their user name, and see their home address.  In order for your address to be visible to other members, you must go to your account and check the select box that says "Allow members to see your address for cigar bombs?"  By default, addresses are NOT visible to other members until you turn it on.  Cheers! -Paul

Wow, dug this out from a ways back.  Thought it would be a good idea for some of the newer folk to be aware of this.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

c.petree.1

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.