My New WineFridgeadore Cabinet!

Started by ledmund, 11/24/2015 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ledmund

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share my new project with you all.

It's starting to heat up here in Western Australia and my 'man cave cigar room come library' where I store my Humidors was starting to reach 25°C (77°F) and it's not even summer yet so I knew I had to do something to preserve my precious collection of sticks.

I bought a 'Dome' 28 bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler, got a great deal online for only $200 delivered.

I sourced some Cedar Wood planks and made myself some shelves with large holes cut through for airflow. I replaced the metal shelves with my Cedar shelves then set about trying to get the humidity levels right. I tried Boveda packs and then after not much success I went back to basics and tried good old little plastic oasis/credo foam soaked in distilled water humidifiers. A number of these spread around my fridgeador cabinet seemed to work and after a few days my digital gauges were reading around 69%.

I put all my cigars into the cabinet and then started monitoring, while the temperature levels were constant 18°C (65°F) in all areas of my cabinet the humidity levels where all over the place.

I bit the bullet and bought a Cigar Oasis Plus Electronic Humidifier. It works a treat and with the inbuilt fan the humidity levels are now a constant 69%! I put in a load of cedar spill sheets from boxes of cigars (so glad I keep everything!) and that definately helped to stabilise the humidity levels too.

So glad I purchased this Fridgeador as today the temperature in the house was up to 27°C (81°F) but my cabinet was reading a lovely 18°C (65°F) and 69% humidity.
"Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavour, and you must always remember never, never to let the flame go out!"
~Winston Churchill

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ledmund

toby2

sounds like a cool set up. pics, pics!

my new wine cooler came in today. 32 bottle Newair (i think). not for cigars though. i've been experimenting with plant based cheeses and needed a cool place for aging and drying. 

Gustoff

Sounds smoking good! Love to see some pics!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

johncw

Sounds really cool need to see some pics!

ledmund

"Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavour, and you must always remember never, never to let the flame go out!"
~Winston Churchill

MacMac

It really looks great! Sweet.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Gustoff

Nice looking setup. I'm doing the same conversion right now... Works quite nicely! Are the planks Spanish Cedar? Or did you opt for something different?

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

05Venturer

" I sourced some Cedar Wood planks and made myself some shelves with large holes cut through for airflow."

Looks great :thumbsup:

Those planks are "Spanish Cedar" correct???
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

millarddj

Nice setup! I'm already looking forward to a cabinet someday...
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

dwig

Very nice, I need to get something like that going.
I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ledmund

Hi Gustoff,

Spanish Cedar is VERY hard to come by in Australia so I used 'Malaysian Cedar' (Toona sureni) it is a species of tree in the mahogany family native to South Asia, Indochina, Malesia, China, and Papua New Guinea. It is commonly known as the suren toon. It has very similar properties to Spanish Cedar and a lot of wooden Humidors bought in Australia are made from thus wood.

~Winston Churchill

Gustoff

Nice setup, thanks for sharing it with us!
 ~Ernest Hemingway

cavenbk

Never heard of 'Malaysian Cedar' before. Thank you for the lesson.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.