Maintaining Humidity

Started by MacMac, 12/08/2015 07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

I have a tuppador made from a "Ziplock" plastic container. It has service me very well. It will hold about 100 cigars. With the weather change I'd been having some trouble keeping the humidor under 70% humidity. I was opening it occasionally, leaving the top cracked open to bring down the humidity.

I decided to try a little experiment.
I took a cigar tube - toro - sized.  I drilled three holes in the cap and three holes around the top edge of the tube. I put one inch of unscented kitty litter in the bottom of the tube. I closed the tube and placed it in my tuppador. The kitty litter is absorbing some of the water in the air and has reduced the humidity in the tuppador.

I'm not sure how long this will be needed or how long the kitty litter will remain absorbent, but I think it has helped. I'll have to keep a watch on the humidity to determine if this is still needed or if replacement of the litter is needed.

I use two humidifiers with a juice (50/50). This typically works great, but at higher humidity times, the kitty liter tube may be a good addition to help keep humidity down.

Sorry for the misspelling of Humidity in the title...I can't figure out how to change that...
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

headfirst

That is a great idea Joe!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ninfiction

Do you have a digital Hygrometer? I'm not sure how much I would trust that analog you have in there.

I have to opposite problem here, it's drying out big time and my humidifier is working over time to keep up. When I had a big tupperdor like you have I would switch from 65% to 69% bovedas during the winter.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

millarddj

QuoteSorry for the misspelling of Humidity in the title...I can't figure out how to change that...

Clever idea!

All you've got to do is edit your original post and change the subject if you want to correct your spelling - took me a while to find out how to do that too.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Cfickter

Clever, have you tried changing the juice mixture also?  Go to a 75/25(distilled water)

Would also back the suggestion of going digital

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Vroomp

After you find the edit button change the words hold to holes as well...... :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

DonM

I have used only Heartfelt beads in my 500 ct humidor.  I spray 2 pucks with distilled water and leave the other 2 to absorb moisture if needed.  Works perfectly for me.  I would ditch the juice and go strictly KL or beads as a suggestion

"The Curmudgeon"

MacMac

Quotemillarddj - 12/8/2015  12:52 PM

QuoteSorry for the misspelling of Humidity in the title...I can't figure out how to change that...

Clever idea!

All you've got to do is edit your original post and change the subject if you want to correct your spelling - took me a while to find out how to do that too.

Thanks! I did realize edit would let up changed the title.

MacMac

Quoteninfiction - 12/8/2015  11:25 AM

Do you have a digital Hygrometer? I'm not sure how much I would trust that analog you have in there.

I have to opposite problem here, it's drying out big time and my humidifier is working over time to keep up. When I had a big tupperdor like you have I would switch from 65% to 69% bovedas during the winter.

I don't have a digital, but the analog one is calibrated.  But I will look in to a digital one.

1029henry

In a plastic container such as your "Ziplock-ador", I believe that a Boveda pack will serve you best. I use them in my Tupperdors with great success.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

bstessl

I also use the Bovedas in the Tupperdore
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

benchjockey

I'm another who uses Bovedas in my Tupperdores.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

terrys1991

I use exact ziploc container, it stays rock steady with three boveda packs.
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Gustoff

I used the fish tank filter media bags... but I have a pile of these tubes... I'll have to give one a try! Great idea!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.