New humidor is here! Sealing question

Started by millarddj, 12/09/2015 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millarddj

Was very excited to receive my table humidor a day early. I've done plenty of research and asking around regarding seasoning the humidor, and I've got that under control just fine. The humidor does have an electrical outlet on the inside, which mounts from the rear of the humidor. I have mounted this carefully, and notice that there is just a small gap between the wood and the plastic of the outlet box.

I intend to use a Hydra SM Electronic humidifier inside the cabinet, after some deliberation.

My initial question is - should I seal this? Some sites seem to indicate that it should definitely be sealed, whereas others say that a tiny air gap like this isn't a concern. From what I can tell by sight, feel, and reading reviews, the front and top glass panels are pretty well sealed on this table (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/the-galleria-cabinet-humidor.html)

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but a quick perusal of this subforum didn't turn up any precise answers. I'm happy to be pointed to applicable threads for an answer as well.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

nirab

Mine has a very slim gap, and I left it alone. If it becomes an issue of holding rh, I'd seal it with silicone, or use an electrical outlet gasket of some sort. Also, if you need to weatherstrip the door, this stuff comes highly recommended. Now...I don't see no pics of this mystical humidor, so it must be a pigment of yer imaginations of sorts...kinda like a unicorn farting rainbows and skittles... :biggrin:  :shy:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-7-8-in-x-17-ft-Self-Adhesive-V-Seal-Weather-Strip-M13WH/100113501?keyword=frost+king+v+seal
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ntanner

I would leave it for now unless you have a problem maintaining RH.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

millarddj

QuoteBrlesq - 12/9/2015  3:48 PM

Hmph!!

Is that a "you should use kitty litter instead" "hmph!", a "why didn't you just read the thread that I shared" "hmph!" (I did last night, but for the life of me I can't find it now via search or manual combing), or an "I already told you how and why you should seal it" "hmph!"

Any one is legitimate. I have a wife and am used to knowing why I'm being "hmph'd!" at, but I'm trying to figure this one out.  :biggrin:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Mojo66

I would love to look at that humidor, might help me answer the question  :biggrin:

You must post a pic or you'll never hear the end of it :shy:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

millarddj

Having some real photo problems, trying again...

EDIT: Attaching photos wasn't working when I posted the thread, and still isn't working. I am selecting a photo, clicking "submit", and then being told that no file was selected. *sigh* :confused:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Mojo66

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  4:47 PM  Having some real photo problems, trying again...  EDIT: Attaching photos wasn't working when I posted the thread, and still isn't working. I am selecting a photo, clicking "submit", and then being told that no file was selected. *sigh* :confused:

Might be because the pic is bigger than the maximum 100K size limit. Right clicking on the pic and showing it's properties will show you the size.

millarddj

QuoteMojo66 - 12/9/2015  4:52 PM

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  4:47 PM  Having some real photo problems, trying again...  EDIT: Attaching photos wasn't working when I posted the thread, and still isn't working. I am selecting a photo, clicking "submit", and then being told that no file was selected. *sigh* :confused:

Might be because the pic is bigger than the maximum 100K size limit. Right clicking on the pic and showing it's properties will show you the size.

Nah, not getting the "attachment must be less than 100kb" error (I use Faststone resizer and post pictures pretty frequently) - this is something different that I haven't seen before. When I try to submit my attachment, I just see "You must attach a file". Helpful, right?
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

nirab

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  4:02 PM

Nah, not getting the "attachment must be less than 100kb" error (I use Faststone resizer and post pictures pretty frequently) - this is something different that I haven't seen before. When I try to submit my attachment, I just see "You must attach a file". Helpful, right?

Technical difficulties may get you off the hook...temporarily!  :shy:  :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Ken Kelley

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  5:18 AM

Hmph!!

Is that a "you should use kitty litter instead" "hmph!", a "why didn't you just read the thread that I shared" "hmph!" (I did last night, but for the life of me I can't find it now via search or manual combing), or an "I already told you how and why you should seal it" "hmph!"

Any one is legitimate. I have a wife and am used to knowing why I'm being "hmph'd!" at, but I'm trying to figure this one out.  :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about a mere "Hmph!!" Now if it was a "HMMMPPPHHH!!!"...then you should worry a bit.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Mojo66

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  5:02 PM  

Then maybe it's a file type problem, I don't know how well this Forum's architecture supports PNG files and others less common image file types. But I guess you already checked and your pic is a common JPG (JPEG).

In trying to troubleshoot this, I know I'd start by moving the pic to another location on the computer it sits on (unless it's a phone or tablet) and try uploading from the new location. But again, you might have tried that already.

I got nothing more... for now.

millarddj

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/9/2015  6:00 PM

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  5:18 AM

Hmph!!

I wouldn't worry about a mere "Hmph!!" Now if it was a "HMMMPPPHHH!!!"...then you should worry a bit.  :biggrin:

Bruce is basically my cigar dad, I don't want to piss him off.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

millarddj

QuoteMojo66 - 12/9/2015  6:14 PM

Then maybe it's a file type problem, I don't know how well this Forum's architecture supports PNG files and others less common image file types. But I guess you already checked and your pic is a common JPG (JPEG).

In trying to troubleshoot this, I know I'd start by moving the pic to another location on the computer it sits on (unless it's a phone or tablet) and try uploading from the new location. But again, you might have tried that already.

I got nothing more... for now.

Yeah, regular jpegs, resized under 100kb. Moved them around and tried to upload, tried on multiple threads, restarted computer, no dice. Anyone else having an attachment problem? This is the machine I always use for this purpose...
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

nirab

This issue seems to be site related. I could not load a picture today, and it definitely met our posting criteria.

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

bigjohn20081983

Sites not allowing a picture to be attached. To get a picture to show I have been having to put it on a image hosting site and then use HTML code to get the picture to show up here.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Brlesq

Quotemillarddj - 12/9/2015  4:18 PM

Hmph!!

YES.  :notamused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

millarddj

Well I ordered some food-grade silicone regardless, based on our conversation last night. IIRC, the conversation about kitty litter partially revolved around not knowing if I would have an electric box. Since I do, I'm mostly at a point of curiosity and want to trial both.

I'm still wishing I could post pictures, but I think my decision is to get the humidor thoroughly seasoned (7-10 days), and see how it holds before I address the question of sealing the small gaps in the rear.

Bruce, I legitimately spent like an hour going back to try and find that thread of yours again. I can't find it using search, nor is it in my history from last night (which is doubly strange, because I can see my searches for it last night, and other threads I visited around the same time. It's like it's been sucked into the Bermuda Triangle.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

MacMac

Congratulations on your humidor!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

C130Driver

That's a nice humidor. I look forward to photos. Keep us in the loop. I was considering adding lighting to mine and if I end up going with corded lights was considering drilling a small hole then putting silicone around the cord to seal the hole.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

nirab

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Mojo66

Quotenirab - 12/11/2015  2:33 PM  and...

You my friend are relentless... and funny ;-)

millarddj

Pictures added to OP - praise the Lord!  :dancing:

Two day update - with a thorough wipe-down and standing distilled water, things seem to be holding steady between 66 and 68 RH at present. Better than I expected first two days.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

nirab

Crank that humidifier, if you aren't already.  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nirab

QuoteMojo66 - 12/11/2015  2:08 PM

Quotenirab - 12/11/2015  2:33 PM  and...

You my friend are relentless... and funny ;-)

if I'm laughing cuz I think its funny, and someone joins in, that's a bonus! thanks brother!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.