My New Project Humidor (seasoning with pics)

Started by DonM, 12/25/2015 07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

A good friend of mine is disabled, has a degenerative eye disease.  He does alot of woodworking, he has a shop with all the goodies.  So I asked him if it were possible to build me a desktop humidor.  He didn't hesitate and drew up some plans, we did modify the depth and added an inch to the lower portion.  He is using some exotic wood on the outside and about 3/16 inch of Spanish cedar for the lining.

About 80 % of the cigars I have been smoking have been smoking have been Drew Estates Liga Privada and Undercrowns lately, so it is only fitting this be the Liga humidor when finished.  I will post pics of the final product when it is finished!  Just thought I would share the project with all of you!

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

And once again, Ken will enjoy my photo editing skills on the Chromebook!

"The Curmudgeon"

05Venturer

Can't wait to see the end result Don
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Ken Kelley

QuoteDonM - 12/24/2015  11:24 PM

And once again, Ken will enjoy my photo editing skills on the Chromebook!

Somewhere buried deep in the Humidor/Storage forum there are a detailed series of pictures from one of my humidor builds.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

C130Driver

I'm excited to see the final project. I do a little wood working myself and have rolled around the idea of making a humidor. I worry I'd get the seal all wrong and have a very expensive wooden box. If you're able, I'd be interested in seeing pictures of not just the final project but the various stages along the way too!
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

terrys1991

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

benchjockey

Definitely a project to keep an eye on.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

DonM

My friend Ron did not waste any time, this project was started 3 weeks ago, got a phone call that it was finished!  He didn't disappoint me with it, I gave him free reign aside from wanting a darker color with grain in it.  He chose to use Wenge, a wood from Central Africa.  The color of the wood is in it's natural state, only a few coats of wax on it with no stain at all.  

I was very impressed with the craftman-ship Ron put into it, thought it turned out to be a keeper for sure!  I have a new puck of Heartfelt's on the way, using an older one till it gets here.  The waiting game begins with seasoning it

Note:  Got a pic of Ron with his project

"The Curmudgeon"

terrys1991

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

Kman

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Mojo66

I really like the natural look of the wood he used. Nice work.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

appollo

McBryde

Wenge has always been one of the wood species I've liked. It has beautiful grain coloring to it. I really like Bocote as well, but it is a little lighter. Both are easy woods to work with.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Gustoff

Very nice! Need to find my own friend with those skills!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

Jay'D

WOWW I'm impressed, thats some really good workmanship. You think he can do one of those chest where you can fit a human in but for cigars instead?  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

DonM

QuoteJay'D - 12/30/2015  12:20 PM

WOWW I'm impressed, thats some really good workmanship. You think he can do one of those chest where you can fit a human in but for cigars instead?  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Not sure if I would want to see the price tag on one that big, he spent $100 just in solid wood then cut it to the proper thickness. The Wenge wood was a bit spendy, I couldn't imagine doing a cabinet with it. Not to mention the hours to build it. I compensated him well but it still didn't really cover the time he had invested in it. Ron did it because I asked, he is a good friend and he was up to the challenge because he had never done a humidor before. He is more an artist than anything, he does very unique artistic work more than anything. Not bad for a guy who is blind by medical standards!

Here is the finished product with cigars in it, and aptly named the Liga Humidor

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

QuoteJay'D - 12/30/2015  12:20 PM

LOL I wouldn't want to see the bill in that one!  The wood itself was a bit expensive, I couldn't imagine building a cabinet with it. He used solid wood and cut it to the proper thickness. He never would tell me how much time he had into it, only that it was a challenge for him and never built a humidor was the only reason he did it.   He is more of an artist than anything, pretty good one being considered blind medically. Let's just say he was well compensated for his time

"The Curmudgeon"

C130Driver

I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

terrys1991

Very nice Don I know that is something you will always treasure.

toby2

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.