Cellophane Wrappers

Started by bigyimmy, 12/07/2007 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigyimmy

I remove my cigars from the cellophane wrappers before I put my fatties in the humidor.  I think they age better and stay at right humidity too.  What do you do?

:smoker2:

joker7037

I leave mine in the wrapper, so asto help preserve the indivdual flavor of each cigar.
I don't want a bunch of cigars that have all intermingle their flavors. I have been
told that the cellophane "breaths" so humidity shouldn't be a problem.

Chris

ljlemer

I removed the wrappers from a few hundred cigars packed in several humidors.
I learned the hard way that unwrapped cigars are more vulnerable to wear and tear, accidents and leaks from humidifiers. On a small scale it should be less of a risk because you can be more careful with a small humidor with a dozen smokes in it, but if you have lots of cigars, as many cigarbid addicts do, you ought to be cautious and only remove the wrappers when the cigars approach the batter's box. Have a small humi where you store the soon to be smoked ones. That way you can personalize each cigar's humidity needs.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

bigyimmy

Thank you for the replies.  I have smoked a few fatties a week for the last 25 years and my humidor holds about 100 cigars.  I thought of getting a larger humidor just because it appears cigars need aged more now than they did years ago.  I feel like I have to buy today what I want to smoke in six to twelve months from now.  I hate putting my overflow cigars in Tupperware or baggies because it does not age them as well as being in the humidor.  I only remove the wrappers from the smokes that I put in my humidor and not the ones I put into the overflow storage.  Bottom line is that is why I remove the wrappers is to speed up the aging process.  If I had a large humidor I would not remove the wrappers either.  I do see some additional wear and tear on my smokes because of removed wrapper.  I also see negative effects from a freshly charge humidifying device.  For me the faster aging and mellowing of the cigars is worth it, but I think a larger humidor may be on my Christmas list.

theoldcc

I leave the cello on for the most part.  They still get the humidity and seem to keep in better shape as I fumble through them over time.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

mhuss

I agree with leaving the wrappers on.  My rule of thumb is that if the cigar comes with a cello wrapper, I leave it on.  I'd rather not have the flavors of all the different cigars and their wrappers mingling with one another over a long period of time.  I want to taste the flavor of the cigar as it was meant to taste from the maker.

qman22

I started removing the cello from all of my cigars about a year ago and I have been very happy with the results.  I like to let my cigars sit and age and I have found this helps them age better as they can breath.  I figure that cubans must not packed in cello for a reason and those cigars are frequently aged.  I have also had experiences where cigars developed funky smells sitting in the cello and had to be aired out to be corrected.  Taking off the cello initially keeps this from happening.
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

mistagordo

Lately i've been pulling the cellos off.  Not sure it makes much of a difference but I hope it does since I've been having humidity issues.

Sticks

I leave the cello on as I have never had a problem controling the moisture content of the cigar with cello on them. I also segregate a lot of my cigars so that the flavors don't transfer. I have a lot of cigar boxes that I use to separate them out because I usually buy at least ten of one kind of cigars when I do buy them.  I have noticed that lower priced cigars need lots of aging as many seem to come green. A prime example of this is 1876 Reserve and I have notice a tremedous color change in the wrapper in just three months. I just recieved a new chest style humodor from my bro in law as a birthday present and I am going to use my old one for aging the lower end stuff as I do worry a little about the green acidic flavors transfering into my good stuff.

ljlemer

Keeping them on is cautious. They take longer to humidify but they also take longer to dry out, which is a big advantage. The wrapper leaf is protected. If you are very meticulous, you can avoid all the pitfalls of removing the cello and maximize the benefits. Just be extra careful and there won't be problems. For those who are accident-prone, like me, think twice before removing the cello. Mike H received some of my mishandled cigars in a trade. Had I kept the cellophane on, I doubt they would have had a single blemish.

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteljlemer - 12/9/2007  10:26 PM
Mike H received some of my mishandled cigars in a trade. Had I kept the cellophane on, I doubt they would have had a single blemish.

You keep beating yourself up about this.  Don't worry, Larry, they all arrived fine and are all smokeable.   ;-)

Proph

I leave wrappers on all cigars that touch wood or a different brand.  The rest are unwrapped, and together.

I hate winter.. not so fun to walk in cold and enjoy a cigar.. wind is NOT my friend at this time.  Hehe
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

pieman

Had posted this before.

I have 2 humidors. One for aging and the other as an "on deck" humi. I have heard the arguements about cello on or cello off and even I will admit there is not much sexier than opening a humi and seeing rows of naked cigars, however I Perfer to get the benefits of both sides but cutting the cello on my cigars right at the foot. That way the air gets in good (I know cello lets the cig breathe as well but this is direct ) and the cello stays on to protect against mold ( I keep my aging humi a little more damp) also I think it helps keep the individual flavors truer. This way my hondurans taste like hondurans. Hope this helps.
www.myspace.com/johnnypieman

"It seems poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest." - Doc Holliday

ljlemer

Quotepieman - 12/11/2007  10:38 PM

Had posted this before.

I have 2 humidors. One for aging and the other as an "on deck" humi. I have heard the arguements about cello on or cello off and even I will admit there is not much sexier than opening a humi and seeing rows of naked cigars, however I Perfer to get the benefits of both sides but cutting the cello on my cigars right at the foot. That way the air gets in good (I know cello lets the cig breathe as well but this is direct ) and the cello stays on to protect against mold ( I keep my aging humi a little more damp) also I think it helps keep the individual flavors truer. This way my hondurans taste like hondurans. Hope this helps.

I don't see how you get any protection from mold, but your method sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Thomas Mann

Turboknat

Well, I keep the cellophane on if nothing else than to just protect the cigars.  I figure that if it made it from the manufacturer to the store properly humidified while in them, and if they stay humidified properly with no problems while displayed in the store, and I maintain my humidor properly also, then there should not be a problem.  I do admit, I like visually seeing them without the cellophone better, but as a poor man, the price I pay for cigars makes me want to make sure they stay protected all the way until I smoke them  :smoker: .

cpfrombv

Years ago a company boasted they would have the freshest cigars because they vacuum sealed the celophane wrappers. Well they ended up molding and it later came out that the celophane breaths so leaving them on there doesn't hurt them. I do know that a high humidity will crack the foot of a cigar, too little and while you smoke it the heat causes it to crack in the middle. just somthing that I have noticed
I work at a cigar store. You still think you have a better job?

ljlemer

Quotecpfrombv - 12/25/2007  12:24 AM

Years ago a company boasted they would have the freshest cigars because they vacuum sealed the celophane wrappers. Well they ended up molding and it later came out that the celophane breaths so leaving them on there doesn't hurt them. I do know that a high humidity will crack the foot of a cigar, too little and while you smoke it the heat causes it to crack in the middle. just somthing that I have noticed

I've had cigars crack from too much humidity. I've had the green sponge humidifiers mold.
I hear Corojo wrappers are more vulnerable to humidity. I don't even like Corojos.

Thomas Mann

cpfrombv

"I've had cigars crack from too much humidity. I've had the green sponge humidifiers mold.
I hear Corojo wrappers are more vulnerable to humidity. I don't even like Corojos"

On the green flora foam humidifiers you need to use a glyco 50/50 solution if not all the time at least every 6 months. You can only use distilled water in the Diamond crown humidifier system.Corojo was hit some years ago in cuba by the blue mold which prompted Cuba to try different types and strands of tobacco

ljlemer

Quotecpfrombv - 12/25/2007  3:42 PM

"I've had cigars crack from too much humidity. I've had the green sponge humidifiers mold.
I hear Corojo wrappers are more vulnerable to humidity. I don't even like Corojos"

On the green flora foam humidifiers you need to use a glyco 50/50 solution if not all the time at least every 6 months. You can only use distilled water in the Diamond crown humidifier system.

I was using a 50/50 solution at the time, unless I was swindled.

Thomas Mann

cpfrombv

Quoteljlemer - 12/25/2007  5:15 PM

Quotecpfrombv - 12/25/2007  3:42 PM

On the green flora foam humidifiers you need to use a glyco 50/50 solution if not all the time at least every 6 months. You can only use distilled water in the Diamond crown humidifier system.

I was using a 50/50 solution at the time, unless I was swindled.

Yeah it would have to be real high temp with the solution to still have mold but, you could have got robbed on the solution too.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.