Water Drip Stopped

Started by C130Driver, 01/05/2016 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C130Driver

I solved a humidification problem many of you may also be experiencing so I thought I'd share. I recently bought a small chair side humidor and it came with three of the rectangle humidifiers with the green foam. I pulled them apart and replaced the foam with kitty litter. I glued the mesh screen down to prevent the kitty litter from falling out of the slats in the humidifiers. Then I mounted them with magnets on the side of the humidor between each of the shelves. This was working well with one exception, my humidity was maintaining a few percent lower than I like so I wanted to add more water. However, the amount of water needed wasn't fully absorbed by the kitty litter and when I would mount it on the side of the humidor the water would drip out of the slats of the humidifier and potentially onto my cigars on the shelf below.  :-0  Of course I couldn't let this happen, so I used some silicone gasket maker and sealed the cracks around the edge between the two halves of the humidifier. Also, I sealed the bottom two rows of slats so when it's mounted sideways the water can't drip from the slats. Once it fully cures I plan to hit it with some sandpaper to clean it up.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

headfirst

Interesting idea about the kitty litter replacement...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

bigjohn20081983

Good Idea  I'm still in the infant stages of humidors compared to alot of y'all  ( 1 small desktop and a cigar jar)  and use boveda bags.  I wonder if you could have done this with that Flexseal stuff you always see on T.V
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

nirab

This seems so much easier... :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

C130Driver

Boveda would probably be easier, but I'm cheap and this will save money in the long run. I already had the gasket maker because I do all my own auto maintenance and I already had the kitty litter from a large bag I'd bought for my previous humidor. A gallon of distilled water lasts an eternity and only costs me $1.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

bigjohn20081983

QuoteC130Driver - 1/5/2016  3:17 PM  Boveda would probably be easier, but I'm cheap and this will save money in the long run. I already had the gasket maker because I do all my own auto maintenance and I already had the kitty litter from a large bag I'd bought for my previous humidor. A gallon of distilled water lasts an eternity and only costs me $1.

You do know you can recharge the Boveda's with distilled water right?

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Cfickter

Not knowing this gasket sealer route, but does it have an odor? (assuming not or you wouldn't have used it)
Also would concerned that any moisture in the sealer would be absorbed into the cedar.
Also using nylons to hold the KL would be better (IMHO).  It adds flexibility in shape and size, reduces chance to spill or leak.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Ken Kelley

Could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort by just using a little bit of duct tape. Surely, you must have noticed by now that your basic C-130 is pretty much held together with the stuff. if crew chiefs now are anything like they were 20+ years ago! If it's good enough for your airplane then it's good enough for your humidifiers!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

millarddj

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 1/5/2016 1:19 PM

You do know you can recharge the Boveda's with distilled water right?

This ^  Bovedas are super convenient, the choice between that and kitty litter really seems to be a matter of preference. Honestly replacing cheap humidifier filters with kitty litter and dealing with the resulting consequences seems worth a few bucks for a Boveda or two instead - and the distilled water is a wash, since you use it with both.

Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Vroomp

I can't read this because the picture is too large~! :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

C130Driver

Fair enough, I've already made them now though so it's done. I have heard you could recharge the Boveda but have always been hesitant since Boveda says not to, perhaps to sell more? Who knows. There's no scent once the silicone cures which takes 24 hours. I won't put them back in my humidor until tomorrow to avoid any issues with that. Likewise, no issue with it being absorbed into the cedar once it's cured because it is a solid at that point. There is no moisture anymore. Just silicone.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

C130Driver

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/5/2016  2:28 PM

Could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort by just using a little bit of duct tape. Surely, you must have noticed by now that your basic C-130 is pretty much held together with the stuff. if crew chiefs now are anything like they were 20+ years ago! If it's good enough for your airplane then it's good enough for your humidifiers!  :biggrin:

This couldn't be more true. Sometimes I wonder how they don't crash on a regular basis.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

ntanner

I too was once a cheap SOB and then I found Boveda and for a $12 investment along with a promo code was able to get enough large boveda packs for my humidors and then some, thus I was able to become a lazy, cheap SOB. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nirab

Quotentanner - 1/5/2016  1:50 PM

I too was once a cheap SOB and then I found Boveda and for a $12 investment along with a promo code was able to get enough large boveda packs for my humidors and then some, thus I was able to become a lazy, cheap SOB. :biggrin:

:word:  :thumbsup:  :cigarman:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Brlesq

I hate to tell you this now, but if you replaced the foam with KL, you wouldn't have any more dripping in any event (unless you oversaturate the KL)
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Brlesq

I can't believe you didn't jump on him about the size of those pictures.  That last birthday made you soft, buddy!  :biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

I have used these for 5 years in my 500 ct and still going strong.  Like em so much that what is in my new desktop.  No mess, no fuss, no guessing on the RH.  

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RH_Large_65

"The Curmudgeon"

C130Driver

I have heartfelt in my other humidorm thanks to Cam. I like them a lot. Bruce, I thought it wouldn't take that much water either, but because of where the rectangle humidifiers halve, I was only able to fill it about half way with KL. Between that and the volume of my humidor it was just a few percent lower than I like. So when I very first fill them it drips when held sideways.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Cigary

I've used and still have a few of the humidifiers and when you deal with KL it's never a good idea to just spray so much DW on them that you end up getting a drip effect.  We're all big boys who choose what we like as far as humidifying agents and we all have our opinions as to what we're comfortable with....why is it that this discussion ALWAYS comes up as to what is the best method?  It's a choice....should I tell everyone what to eat for breakfast...lunch...dinner....should we march against certain types of humidification?  While using "foam/gels" is not something I'd choose I choose what works best for me regardless of prevailing opinions.  I was going to say..."doesn't this get old after awhile" telling others what to use but then again as much as everybody is always telling others what to use or not to use so I guess adding xanax to my regimen of keeping myself from being annoyed is probably the right thing for me .....that is until somebody else comes up with voodoo and incantations as far as that being the better method of humidification.

Ken Kelley

QuoteBrlesq - 1/5/2016  7:03 AM

I can't believe you didn't jump on him about the size of those pictures.  That last birthday made you soft, buddy!  :biggrin:

He's a C-130 driver, Bruce. They ain't quite right in the head so I do occasionally make allowances!  :biggrin:

C130Driver

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/6/2016  12:23 PM

He's a C-130 driver, Bruce. They ain't quite right in the head so I do occasionally make allowances!  :biggrin:

All of this is true and I appreciate your leeway.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Ken Kelley

QuoteC130Driver - 1/7/2016  12:18 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/6/2016  12:23 PM

All of this is true and I appreciate your leeway.

:biggrin:

ntanner

QuoteCigary - 1/6/2016  6:57 AM

I've used and still have a few of the humidifiers and when you deal with KL it's never a good idea to just spray so much DW on them that you end up getting a drip effect.  We're all big boys who choose what we like as far as humidifying agents and we all have our opinions as to what we're comfortable with....why is it that this discussion ALWAYS comes up as to what is the best method?  It's a choice....should I tell everyone what to eat for breakfast...lunch...dinner....should we march against certain types of humidification?  While using "foam/gels" is not something I'd choose I choose what works best for me regardless of prevailing opinions.  I was going to say..."doesn't this get old after awhile" telling others what to use but then again as much as everybody is always telling others what to use or not to use so I guess adding xanax to my regimen of keeping myself from being annoyed is probably the right thing for me .....that is until somebody else comes up with voodoo and incantations as far as that being the better method of humidification.
Sound's like you need a Colorado style cigar Gary. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

C130Driver

So I've been thinking about taking the Boveda plunge and I have a few questions. I was on their site and it says you need 1 large Boveda per 25 cigars your humidor can hold. My humidor is advertised to hold 600 cigars but realistically can hold around 400. Surely I don't actually need 16 - 24 Boveda packs?!? How many do you guys use for a given capacity?

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Ted

I use 12 in a 250-300ct Treasure Dome humidor. Two of the 4ct holders attached to the lid and 4 spread out on the bottom. Every 2 or 3 months I rotate out half and recharge. Humidor actually only holds about 150-200.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.