Boveda Acrylic Humidors

Started by tjm0831, 01/06/2016 04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm0831

I just bought one of Boveda's large (50-75 stick) acrylic humidors.  It seems like a good idea, that is storing cigars in acrylic rather than wood for more humidity control, but before it has even come in I am wondering about the practicality of the purchase.  It isn't a very pretty piece, but I think the humidity control weighs over looks.  I am a bit concerned about storage in acrylic rather than wood, as far as flavor impartation goes.  I am accustomed to aging my cigars in traditional wooden humidors, and I have some that have been aging for years.  I am a bit worried that I won't be able to do that in the acrylic humidor.  Not that I am getting rid of my current humidor.  To sum it up, I would like to know if any of you have any experience with these humidors, and if you do, what do you think?

Best,

Trent

raize

My guess would be that acrylic would make a worse vessel, not better.  The advantage of wood is that it holds moisture, which helps stabilize the sticks. Without it, anytime your humidor is opened, you lose all moisture with the exception of what is in the sticks themselves. This is just my understanding of things so take it with a grain of salt...
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

Camshaft83

Lots of people on here use Tupperware, including myself, for the better seal and cheaper price then traditional humidors. They will age fine but you won't get that cedar aroma that you do after long aging in a traditional wood humidor. I have the bottom of my Tupperware containers lined with a Spanish cedar plank to help with that though.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

nirab

Acrylic is porous, as is pretty much everything. It will retain some moisture, just not as much as wood. It will not impart that sweet cedar smell to your cigars, but it will be much easier to maintain rh. I think you have a nice aging humidor made of wood, and a nice storage humidor made of acrylic. If it is functional and you are happy with it, that's all that matters brother! I think its kinda cool to be able to see through the entire humidor. Post some pics once you got it stocked up.  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ninfiction

I'm with Cam, when I was using tupperware I put several cedar sheets from boxes in the bottom, you could do the same. It should hold your rh spot on, never had an issue with my tupperdors, damn tower though, that's another story.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

tjm0831

Hot Stuff x

On the plus side....  I don't know about you all, but I have a tendency to open my humidor more often than I need to so I can admire my cigars, or I leave the lid open while I decide what to smoke.  But with this acrylic humidor, you can do all that without opening the humidor, thus preserving your precious humidity level.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

tjm0831

I agree with you guys about the clear aspect of the humidor.  I am excited to see how I like it once it is loaded up.  Pics to follow.

tjm0831

appollo

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

Yard Gars! :bigthumbs:  I was joking, I love Liga's!

The humi looks nice!

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

That looks like a great humi with some really nice gars in there.  :bigthumbs:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

Mojo66

I had seen it and would buy it if available in CAD. Would by no means be an aging humidor but as a display humidor it's just sublime.

Great buy, and what a nice way to show off those yargars :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

terrys1991

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

toby2

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

MacMac

The humidor looks very nice. I hope it works well for you. Many small dealers use acrylic humidors.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

tjm0831

Had this box for a couple of weeks now.  Have 4 Boveda 69's in it, and I can't get the humidity higher than 65.  Its full of cigars and I'm ok with 65, but I'm concerned that it is isn't maintaining the RH of the packs.  Any ideas.

Camshaft83

It's probably low humidity this time of year where you live so your humidity in your humi is running a little low.

tjm0831

It's 70%, which I guess is low for here.

Ted

Is it 70% in your home? It's 67% here, and ~40% inside my house.
Also, when was the last time you calibrated?  I'd throw another Boveda in. My desktop required about a dozen 65% which kept things at an average 64%.
Looks awesome by the way. Love the stock. That's a lot of LP9 love!

Ted

From wikipedia rh article:

If the system at State A is isobarically heated (heating with no change in system pressure) then the relative humidity of the system decreases because the equilibrium vapor pressure of water increases with increasing temperature.

So if it is warmer inside your house than 44º, the RH is going to be lower than 70%. I have no idea to what degree however.

tjm0831

You're right, the RH in my home is significantly lower, hadn't considered that.  The hygrometer is new, and was calibrated only a week ago.  I have 4 packs in the box now (it recommends you use 3).  It's advertised as being far superior to wooden boxes for maintain proper humidity.  I guess that is why its such a bummer that its not perfect.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.