Winter humidity problems

Started by mistagordo, 12/09/2007 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistagordo

Now that its getting colder out and my heat is running more, i'm having serious issues keeping the humidity up in my humidor.  I have 2 humidifiers constantly charged in my 100 count humidor and can't get the humidity above 60.  Normally in the non-cold season i have no trouble keeping it at high 60's and it frequently goes above 70 requiring me to adjust down for humidity.  Anyone else having this problem?  Is there any tricks to help with it?

Peterfield

Basically your are heating dry inside air which significantly lowers the humidity of your house to that equaling dry desert air.  I am constantly adding distilled water to my humidifiers in the winter, whereas from spring through fall I don't have to.  I use oasis foam, Humdicare crystals and RH beads but it doesn't seem to matter.

Paul

mistagordo

Here's a question - I use the crystals with a PG 50/50 solution and I always recharge with the PG solution.  Is that a bad thing - maybe too much PG???

Peterfield

I believe I read somewhere that after you charge your humidity device with 50-50 PG, you add small amounts of distilled water when the relative humidity starts to drop.  If you keep adding 50-50, the water evaporates at a faster rate and eventually your percentage of PG rises above 50%.  This makes sense to me but I am by no means an expert.

Paul

theoldcc

QuotePeterfield - 12/9/2007  10:25 PM

I believe I read somewhere that after you charge your humidity device with 50-50 PG, you add small amounts of distilled water when the relative humidity starts to drop.  If you keep adding 50-50, the water evaporates at a faster rate and eventually your percentage of PG rises above 50%.  This makes sense to me but I am by no means an expert.

Paul

I've always heard the same.  If you've been adding PG the whole time, you're probably light on actual water.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.