Low Humidity

Started by Whiskeyrunner, 01/26/2016 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskeyrunner

Hey Fellows/ladies

I am running a desk top humidor with 72% Boveda packs (5).  

House temp at 62-70 degrees.  Inside humiity 22%.  

!00 Cigar count.

I cant seem to establish 72% humidity as it hovers between 62-65%

Any suggestions?

Thanks
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Teddy Roosevelt

tjm0831

What kind of humidor do you have?  Have you done the dollar bill test?  How long have you waited for the RH to adjust?  Are the Boveda packs fresh?

gitfiddl

I wouldn't worry unless it drops below 60%.  Most of mine run about 65% and I'm running 69% Boveda packs.  I'm assuming the humidor in question is well-seasoned.  You can expect the humidity to drop somewhat during the winter anyway.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ntanner

Is you're hydrometer accurate?
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Otter

Quotentanner - 1/26/2016  8:48 PM

Is you're hydrometer accurate?

He beat me to the question... Pull out the hygrometer if you can and put it into a zip lock or Tupperware with one of the bovedas, easy test.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

05Venturer

I add extra humidification in winter months
Black Ice Pie jars work great or even the cheaper foam "sticks"
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

CharlieOne

I use 65% Bovedas in my wineador. I'm at 61% and I'm fine with that. Most of my sticks burn much better between 61-65%
My V  List: nirab, raize, millarddj, Kman, DRuff, junglepete

Camshaft83

Quote05Venturer - 1/26/2016  6:49 PM

I add extra humidification in winter months
Black Ice Pie jars work great or even the cheaper foam "sticks"

Black Ice Pie Jars for me during the winter as well.   :bigthumbs:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

bmac7754

Kevin I wouldn't worry about it.  In the winter months I use 72% Bovedas in 10 different humidors just to keep them around 65%-67% and yes all the hygrometers are accurate.  Just remember to take some out or put in lower ones when the spring time rolls around, I don't have central AC so they will make them spike over what you want later on.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

tvolball

Mine always drops in the winter cold months. I use Boveda 69% and I add a foam humidifier to it to help a little. My humidity usually gets down to around 60%-62% and really doesn't hurt anything. In the spring humiditity comes back up and I remove the foam humidifier.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Mojo66

That is why I like beads so much. All you need to do is "activate" a higher percentage of beads and voilĂ , the relative humidity raises accordingly.

For me though, it does also depends on the quality of the humidor and its seal. Some of my desktops are very high end and they keep RH levels better than my cheaper ones. The wineador is somewhat harder to maintain but that is probably because it's only half full. Now the coolers are the easiest to care for as they almost don't even need a push in the drier months to remain at 65%, unless opened often. I do have Spanish Cedar lining in my coolers that helps maintain RH even if opened daily.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Whiskeyrunner

Hey Fellows ....... Many thanks for the replies.  Just a few notes and answers.

I did the flashlight test and the seal seems tight.

The Boveda packs ( 72) are brand new I even added a 5th pack.

My humidor is the Craftsman Bench Taj Mahal ( 110 ct)

I have the sticks in plastic bags now while I re-season the humidor and the Hygrometer ( recalibrated to factory settings)  only reading 62% since yesterday this time.

The cigars are just too firm although when smoked I do not have any defects to the wrapper.

Is it possible I have to re-season every month or so?

Thanks Fellows
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Teddy Roosevelt

toby2

i won a contest a few New Years ago that included a small 50 ct. tabletop humidor. it would never season or keep stable. i even put two Xikar crystal sticks in it. i eventually gave it to the kids as for a Littlest Angel box.

ntanner

I wouldn't think you would need to re season every month. If you get the interior at the desired RH and maintain it with that many Boveda packs it should hold a fairly steady RH. A fuller humidor is easier to maintain also, so maybe buy some more cigars. :bigthumbs:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

bmac7754

You shouldn't have to reseason it but a little trick I like to do every few months while changing the packs and moving cigars around is take some PG juice or distilled water and run along the top border of the humidor and along the edges of the cover. This helps the two connections fit snugly and tighter for me.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.