Anyone here use the Aficionado cigar app?

Started by hebron, 01/30/2016 01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Hi all, long time no see. Haven't been much on the site lately, but still smoking :)

I have been playing around with this humidor app; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.infero.aficionado

Anyone else use it?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

hebron

I would love to the use CigarGeeks apps, as the library is by far the best out there. But I just find the app to be lacking a number of key features.

Good to see you too buddy, we should herf soon :)
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Camshaft83

Good to see you drop by. What can it do that the CG app can't?
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

hebron

QuoteCamshaft83 - 1/31/2016  12:33 PM

Good to see you drop by. What can it do that the CG app can't?

Hey Cam, good to see your too brother.

Well to list a few things:

* The UI is smoother and more modern.
* Cigars have photos of the cigar and the band.
* Write personal cigar notes, strength, review, taste wheel for each third and it has a smoke time timer.
* Cigar notes can be shared in the app with friends.
* Adding and removing from the humidors create humidor entries, instead of just changing the count.
* Sync between devices is instant.

But there are also a few annoying things with it;

* Cigar database is just over 10K.
* It shows the date when you got cigars, but does not (yet) show the age time.
* I can not search within my own collection.

But in the end I would say that the biggest benefit is that it is under development, I've been talking to the developer and he has several ideas for the next version. The CigarGeeks app hasn't been updated in a few years.
- Thomas

hebron

And it of course does not have CigarGeeks user reviews... Those are a real resource!
- Thomas

Camshaft83

Quotehebron - 1/31/2016  4:47 AM

And it of course does not have CigarGeeks user reviews... Those are a real resource!

That is one of my favorite things about the app. That other app sounds like it has quite a few things going for it though.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

bstessl

Quotehebron - 1/31/2016  3:52 AM

Good to see you too buddy, we should herf soon :)

yes we should,  the stars will realign someday.   :-)
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Ted

Just curious, what's in the premium ($7.50?) vs. non-premium? This post from the developer makes it sound like the non-premium app is kind of worthless...

" infero.ch January 23, 2016
Hi Lane The Premium version offers detailed functionality on all humidor entries like editing or even deleting any humidor item. If you list the cigars of a humidor, you see a star at each cigar you marked as a favorite. "

Although it does have a lot of features I'd like to be able to use.

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

toby2

Quotehebron - 1/31/2016  6:47 AM  And it of course does not have CigarGeeks user reviews... Those are a real resource!

i find the reviews of the active people helpful as i've gotten to know their tastes however it seems a great deal of the people who add reviews rate every cigar four stars or above. IMO a good solid smoke is 3-3.5. the very good to exceptional cigars have no where to go on the current curve. a kind PM once pointed out i was caught up in my own enthusiasm when reviewing a Geek's own blend so i can see how it happens to us all but every cigar?

hebron

QuoteTed - 1/31/2016  5:31 PM

Just curious, what's in the premium ($7.50?) vs. non-premium? This post from the developer makes it sound like the non-premium app is kind of worthless...

" infero.ch January 23, 2016
Hi Lane The Premium version offers detailed functionality on all humidor entries like editing or even deleting any humidor item. If you list the cigars of a humidor, you see a star at each cigar you marked as a favorite. "

Although it does have a lot of features I'd like to be able to use.

I actually found the humidor handling pretty useless in the free edition, I could add and remove. But not modify anything. So If I added 4 cigars, by mistake I had to deduct 4 cigars. And the humidor count would be zero, but it would say added 4, removed 4. With premium each transaction is a log entry, which I really like. So I can see at what dates I got them, and how. And when I smoked them, where and what I paired them with :) Or as he puts it: "? Humidor item management possible with date, price, group and free text".

These features I also like:
? User tasting with three separate thirds
? User rating (1...10)
And I can put my own evaluation of the strengt.

Send me a PM if you do start to use it, I'll send you my contact info :)
- Thomas

hebron

Quotegitfiddl - 1/31/2016  6:23 PM

Will it work with my phone?   :-0

There are options ;)
- Thomas

hebron

Quotetoby2 - 1/31/2016  7:00 PM

Quotehebron - 1/31/2016  6:47 AM  And it of course does not have CigarGeeks user reviews... Those are a real resource!

i find the reviews of the active people helpful as i've gotten to know their tastes however it seems a great deal of the people who add reviews rate every cigar four stars or above. IMO a good solid smoke is 3-3.5. the very good to exceptional cigars have no where to go on the current curve. a kind PM once pointed out i was caught up in my own enthusiasm when reviewing a Geek's own blend so i can see how it happens to us all but every cigar?

I often avoid the reviews before I smoke, to make up my own unbiased opinion. But I do find them very useful when buying cigars :) I agree, one needs to utilize the whole scale :)
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.