Mold under the wrapper????

Started by McBryde, 02/05/2016 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBryde

Has anyone ever had no signs of mold on the wrapper of a cigar and under the wrapper you find mold? Tonight on the herf, I was smoking a Viaje TNT and it tasted funky. Like bad funky, I've had better yard gars funky. Bad bittery funk flavor. I quit on it, and went and got another cigar. When I got back, I started dissecting it, and under the wrapper, there were spots of mold on the binder. there was no sign of mold on the outside of the wrapper, just under it. Anyone ever had this happen to them?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

toby2

no but that may explain a few AF that I thought were terrible.

Ken Kelley

Yup! Found mold under the wrappers of most of a box of JDN lanceros one time. Got it in time so the cigars were OK. AF's with cedar wrappers are infamous for mold under the wrappers, hence my practice of immediately removing them upon purchase.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

ThinBlueLine

You're problem is you're smoking Viaje
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

gitfiddl

Knock on wood, but I've only encountered mold on one occasion and that was my fault.  I'd over-humidified the old office frig I'd converted to a humidor and left about 20 cigars in it.  Luckily, they were cheap Thompson yard-gars...

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tvolball

QuoteThinBlueLine - 2/6/2016  9:26 AM

You're problem is you're smoking Viaje

Viaje has really good cigars. Nothing wrong with them.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Brlesq

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/6/2016  8:12 AM

Yup! Found mold under the wrappers of most of a box of JDN lanceros one time. Got it in time so the cigars were OK. AF's with cedar wrappers are infamous for mold under the wrappers, hence my practice of immediately removing them upon purchase.

Ken, when Em said wrapper, he meant the outside wrapper leaf of the cigar, not the cello.  I was on the herf with him, and it was the weirdest damned thing I ever saw:  A flawless looking cigar (that we urged him to put out because it tasted so bad), then he dissected it and discovered that the binder level was full of mold.

GOOD LESSON FOR EVERYONE: If the cigar tastes funky, STOP smoking it.  Doesn't matter how much you paid for it or which special person gave it to you.  If Emerson had forced himself to power through and smoke that entire cigar, he could have gotten ill and even developed respiratory issues.  :barf:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Vroomp

It's quite possible the spores were transferred in the cigar press or it was just a bad bunch of binder leaf.....   :barf:

The bunch can also be a bit on the wet side as some tobacco needs to be moistened a little before rolling to make it more supple. It is also possible for cigars to sit in presses for several days during weekends and holidays.:?:

I imagine this is what happened to the one you got and if it was a box purchase I would check others and possibly return them~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

headfirst

Wow, that's crazy, glad you stopped smoking it!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

McBryde

No, not a box purchase, this was a stick that was bombed to me probably a year or so ago by someone on here, or one I won in a contest, etc. I can't even remember to be honest who it was from, or for what. I've had it that long in my humidor. It has me worried about other sticks in my humidor though. I went and pulled all the humidifiers in my humidors out last night, and stuck in some kitty litter to pull out some moisture, then I'm going to slowly take it back up. Too much humidity scares me with mold already being in there on a stick!

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

headfirst

Seems unlikely that it would spread if it never even surfaced on the cigar, but good to be cautious I guess.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Ken Kelley

QuoteBrlesq - 2/5/2016  10:48 PM

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/6/2016  8:12 AM

Ken, when Em said wrapper, he meant the outside wrapper leaf of the cigar, not the cello.  I was on the herf with him, and it was the weirdest damned thing I ever saw:  A flawless looking cigar (that we urged him to put out because it tasted so bad), then he dissected it and discovered that the binder level was full of mold.

GOOD LESSON FOR EVERYONE: If the cigar tastes funky, STOP smoking it.  Doesn't matter how much you paid for it or which special person gave it to you.  If Emerson had forced himself to power through and smoke that entire cigar, he could have gotten ill and even developed respiratory issues.  :barf:

I'm an old curmudgeon so I can't be blamed if I get wrappers and labels confused once in a while!  :biggrin:  Yeah, mold UNDER the wrapper is a new one on me. No wonder it tasted skunky!

C130Driver

That's crazy. The s**tty thing is you know it will be on the back of your mind every time you light up for a while and there really is no way to check without destroying the cigar.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Ken Kelley

QuoteC130Driver - 2/6/2016  5:36 AM

That's crazy. The s**tty thing is you know it will be on the back of your mind every time you light up for a while and there really is no way to check without destroying the cigar.

And it's there...just waiting for you!  :biggrin:

DonM

Wow!  I have smoked some shyty cigars but mold wasn't the problem, they were yard gars or just shyt when I didn't know any better.  

Bruce has a good point, if it tastes that bad, it may be worth the investigation rather than getting seriously sick over it

"The Curmudgeon"

cavenbk

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/6/2016  5:17 PM  
QuoteC130Driver - 2/6/2016  5:36 AM  That's crazy. The s**tty thing is you know it will be on the back of your mind every time you light up for a while and there really is no way to check without destroying the cigar.
And it's there...just waiting for you!  :biggrin:

That's actually a VERY cool picture.

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Cfickter

Can't saw I have ever seen that before but certainly makes me wonder about some stuff I smoked!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

McBryde

I would have never known, but it was bad, just figured I'd dissect it while I was chatting away. Glad I did! That definitely makes me wonder about some other cigars I have smoked in the past though that didn't live up to their hype!

E

appollo

I have never encountered  that problem,but will certainly tuck that bit of info awat :-0

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.