From the M*A*S*H episode"Fade Out, Fade In:" COL. POTTER: Cigar? RADAR: Will it stunt my growth? COL. POTTER: Whattya got to loose? RADAR: Is it Habit forming? COL. POTTER: Nah, I've smoked 5 cigars a day and never got the habit! RADAR: That's good to know! (After lighting cigars, Radar makes a puzzled look) COL POTTER: Nothin' like a good cigar on a clear morning! RADAR: Or Cream of Wheat. Later, Radar was found over the hill, sick from his first cigar...

Main Menu

New member from Denmark

Started by Eigon, 02/06/2016 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eigon

Hi everyone

I thought it would be polite to introduce myself, before I started pestering you with questions :-)
My name is Eigon Vilhelmsen, I live in a small town just outside of Copenhagen, Denmark. Age: past 50.
My experience with cigars is negligible, I have only smoked rarely, but I have always enjoyed it, when offered a cigar.
So you may ask why the late start. Very simple, the wife was an ex-smoker, and quite fanatic about it. Starting to smoke would have ensured that the small amount of tranquility I did enjoy in that marriage would have disappeared.
Luckily, since a few years ago, the wife is history, which for starters gave me the time to indulge myself in collecting (and drinking, especially drinking) rum. But sitting in the garden in summer evenings with a drink of rum, I found something missing. And one day it hit me: you need a cigar to complement the rum.
Being the kind of person who wants to find out as much as possible about what interests me, I ended up here.

And no, I haven't bought one cigar yet. I'm still in the planning stage, so look for my questions on the Humidors and Storage forum (I did think I was ready for starting to get hold of cigars, until browsing that forum got me to rethink my humidor plans).
Eigon

tjm0831

McBryde

Welcome aboard from Arkansas, USA. Stick around very long and we'll have you so deep down the rabbit hole, you know which way is up!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Ted

Ahh, rum & cigars! My favorite pairing. Any favorite or recommended rums?

Went through a few bottles of the Ballast Point Spiced recently (California brewery/distillery). I love their Grapefruit Sculpin and was happily surprised by their rum. Right now I'm slowly working through a bottle of Zacapa 23. I'm a big fan of 10 Cane and Zaya as mixers when I need a sugar drink (which means any high nicotine cigar for me).

Bought a bottle of Old Monk out of curiosity (bottle is shaped like an old monk, packaging whore here). I haven't strengthened my resolve to try it after smelling it. Makes me shiver just thinking about it! But then again, millions of Indians can't be wrong, can they?

Ted

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Gustoff

Welcome from Northern Virginia! It's great getting a larger international presence on here!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

headfirst

Welcome from Southern California!  Get ready for the plunge... :shades:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Eigon

Zacapa 23 was my first rum, when I started getting serious about drinking it neat. Try the Zacapa Reserva Limited 2014, the 90 proof gives it a little more taste.
I don't think the Ballast Point is avaiable in Europe, but I do have a rum from Smooth Ambler, a West Virginia distillery. If you like stronger, not so sweet rums, then the 99 proof Revelation Rum is pretty good. And something of a find, considering it is 20 year old Jamaican rum.
For the more smooth rums, which first got me started, do try the Ron Quorhum 30, Ron Millonario XO, Plantation Barbados 20 Anniversary, Ron Cartavio XO. And if you would like something stronger, then a really good, not expensive rum is the Panama Red 108 Overproof. In Denmark the price is low enough that if you don't like it neat, then you can just mix it with whatever you like (mind you, it is pretty good neat).
I haven't tried Old Monk, but I know the feeling. I have a bottle of haitian rum, Clairin Vaval, which is unaged, straigth from the distillation into the bottle. I sat looking at the glass for a quarter of an hour, before I convinced myself, that it couldn't possible taste as bad as it smelled. Let us just say that is probably not going to be opened again.
Eigon

05Venturer

:welcome: from NW WI
Rum and a cigar =  :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

toby2

ntanner

Welcome from New Mexico.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

amigodecigars

Greetings Eigon. I can recommend Costa Rican cigars and our rum "Centenario."  We have a distributor in the Netherlands called Tico Cigars!

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Eigon

Thank you, the Centenario rum has been on my wishlist for some time. I have been waiting for a good deal on it, but no luck so far.
Any recommendations on Costa Rican cigars for a newbie?
Eigon

amigodecigars

QuoteEigon - 2/6/2016  2:40 PM  Thank you, the Centenario rum has been on my wishlist for some time. I have been waiting for a good deal on it, but no luck so far.  Any recommendations on Costa Rican cigars for a newbie?
Sure...send me an email at... amigosdecigars@gmail.com
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Camshaft83

Welcome to Cigar Geeks.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

C130Driver

Welcome from Indiana! Just remember when you're picking a humidor be very generous about how much space you need, then double it.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

okieeagle

Welcome sir.  You've come to the right place to learn about cigars, that's for sure.
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

MacMac

:welcome: to the CG community from Gaston Lake VA.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Eigon

QuoteC130Driver - 2/6/2016  10:47 PM  Welcome from Indiana! Just remember when you're picking a humidor be very generous about how much space you need, then double it.

Think this will do ? :-)

Eigon

DonM

QuoteEigon - 2/6/2016  7:03 PM

QuoteC130Driver - 2/6/2016  10:47 PM  Welcome from Indiana! Just remember when you're picking a humidor be very generous about how much space you need, then double it.

Think this will do ? :-)

That will work quit well!  You are gonna need to stock up on Rum too :biggrin:

Welcome from the Sunshine State!

"The Curmudgeon"

Kman

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Eigon

At the moment it is filled with rum, so I am covered there :drinking:
Eigon

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

RDF

HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.