New--kinda-- Humidor

Started by MacMac, 02/12/2016 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

My tupperdor finally got too small at a little over 100 cigars. My step-father made a small (about 3'x2') lift top glass table YEARS ago (he's been dead for 12 years). So I took the little table, using a piano hinge I converted it from a lift top to a hinged top table. Then, I secured the glass with a wood frame so it wouldn't fall out when the table is open. I added a little Spanish Cedar that I had in my tupperdor from some old cigar boxes. Finally I added an Excel Cigar Oasis with WIFI module. Now I have a humidor that I believe will hold about 300 cigars.

Here some pictures of the project.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

appollo

Real nice job on the conversion.Looks real nice,especially full of sticks

DonM

Very Nice!  I like it :bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

benchjockey

Really nice work. Looks great.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

McBryde

"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Gustoff

That looks amazing! Very nice.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

terrys1991

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

toby2

way to go. cool in many ways.

MacMac

That's for the encouragement. I'm having a some trouble with the wifi....but I'll get it figured out.

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

millarddj

Definitely one of the nicest looking home projects I've seen. If the seal is good, I'm really a sucker for top-down glass views into storage spaces!
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

MacMac

Quotemillarddj - 2/13/2016  12:03 AM

Definitely one of the nicest looking home projects I've seen. If the seal is good, I'm really a sucker for top-down glass views into storage spaces!

The glass is glued and held by the wooden frame. I think I'm good and sealed there. The bottom edges are sealed with a clear caulk. It also closes pretty tightly, but if I feel its not sealed well enough there, I'll add some thin gasket material. However, with the Excel unit and the tightness that it has, I don't think that will be necessary. We'll see.

STL_Cohiba

Man that's awesome work
"The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit." Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars" -Jack Nicholson

http://cigargeeks.com/humidor/default.asp?
action=humidor&member=STL%5FCohiba

Ted

Looks great! Nice job.  :bigthumbs:

bstessl

Too cool!  I love this idea!   Looks like you did a hell of a job!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Vroomp

Awesome job~!  Looks even better with cigars in it~! :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

amigodecigars

Very cool. Nice workmanship. When your lift-top glass table is full and you still need something a little bigger, you will have to move up to a walk-in humidor like mine.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

MacMac

Quoteamigodecigars - 2/13/2016  9:30 AM

Very cool. Nice workmanship. When your lift-top glass table is full and you still need something a little bigger, you will have to move up to a walk-in humidor like mine.

I don't think I'll ever need one that big!  :lmao:

Mojo66

QuoteMacMac - 2/13/2016  10:33 AM  
Quoteamigodecigars - 2/13/2016  9:30 AM  Very cool. Nice workmanship. When your lift-top glass table is full and you still need something a little bigger, you will have to move up to a walk-in humidor like mine.
I don't think I'll ever need one that big!  :lmao:

Never say never, even more so when talking about cigars :biggrin:

Nice work there Joe, it looks fantastic.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

MacMac

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I actually do have my next humidor picked out. It's an old ice refrigerator. I'm thinking it will hold well over 1,000 cigars, maybe even 2,000. I think it will be a while before I get there. It will be another project.  :biggrin:

Scap

That's awesome!
And...it gives me an idea for what I can do with a coffee table a friend made for me as a wedding gift.

tjm0831

1sgjeffward

Great job with the quick thinking for the conversion looks real nice :thumbsup:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Cfickter

Great job, looks very nice.  I wasn't quite sure what you meant when you said  "I added a little Spanish Cedar". I would suggest making sure it gets completely lined.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

terrys1991

QuoteMacMac - 2/13/2016  1:32 PM  

[/QUOTE]  I actually do have my next humidor picked out. It's an old ice refrigerator. I'm thinking it will hold well over 1,000 cigars, maybe even 2,000. I think it will be a while before I get there. It will be another project.  :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Not sure if your planning on building the Ice Box yourself, but a friend of mine built one years ago from plans out of WoodSmith magizine Issue # 36, plans are will detailed & can be made with a table saw & router table plus basic hand tools. Here is a link to the back issue

WoodSmith 36  

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.