Go the cheaper route?????

Started by McBryde, 02/12/2016 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBryde

I have been on the devil site, no the other one! I was looking around on there and found this, as I am needing more humidor space. I know some of you guys have used these wineadors in the past, and was just wondering what y'all thought of this model. I just figured that the one zoned model would be easier to humidify instead of having 2 spaces to humidify seperately, as well as 1/2 the amount of stuff to go wrong with it. I was thinking about getting a cigar oasis for it, so I could set it and forget about it. What model oasis would you recommend? The plus is the one I was leaning towards. any reviews on these from you guys? Here are the 2 things I have found.

http://www.openboxdirect.com/koldfront-32-bottle-single-zone-thermoelectric-wine-cooler-black-silver/TWR327SZSD,default,pd.html

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidification/81322/cigar-oasis-plus-humidifier/

Thoughts and discussion welcomed as I try to choose my next option for cigar storage.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Camshaft83

I wish you could know exactly how bad the damage was on that fridge before you bought it. That price is a pretty good deal if the damage isn't too bad. That oasis plus should work fine in a cooler that size.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

McBryde

QuoteCamshaft83 - 2/12/2016  10:53 PM

I wish you could know exactly how bad the damage was on that fridge before you bought it.

My thoughts EXACTLY! Most of the people that I have seen that have gotten them have had big scratches on the sides of them, or a dent or 2 in the front door. Mine will probably go in the closet anyway, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

MacMac

I just started using an Oasis Unit TODAY, but it brought my humidor up to 70% asap.  I think I'm going to like it. I love that I can use WiFi to monitor it.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

McBryde

I think I may go with the hydra instead of the oasis though, as it will do up to 8 cubic ft. this thing will be around 6. The oasis will do up to 10 cuft, but is $40 more expensive. Will probably go the cheaper route.

E

bstessl

Looks like a pretty good price for the wine cooler...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

McBryde

Yeah, I couldn't stand it, I ordered it tonight with a hydra humidifier and 2 extra fans.

E

Vroomp

The Hydra LG I use in one of my tower units does a fine job for less money~!  That looks like a great deal Emerson~! :bigthumbs:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

McBryde

I'll have about $250 in it by the time I'm done, and have something that can hold probably 20 boxes if not more. That ought to last me a little while, coming from a 300 ct humidor, a tupperdore, and another 100 ct desktop. I can't wait to not have to deal with beads and kitty litter and all that crap, just set it and forget it!

E

toby2

QuoteMcBryde - 2/13/2016  12:30 AM  I think I may go with the hydra instead of the oasis though, as it will do up to 8 cubic ft. this thing will be around 6. The oasis will do up to 10 cuft, but is $40 more expensive. Will probably go the cheaper route.  E

i have two of the large and one small. they are a bit off i had to fart around with them for a few days until i figured out where to set them for what i wanted. i like the aux fan jacks in the large and use them. 

McBryde

You have the oasis or the hydras Toby?

E

toby2

QuoteMcBryde - 2/13/2016  9:43 AM  You have the oasis or the hydras Toby?  E

sorry. Hydra. pretty cheap on Amazon now. i paid a bunch for the first one. i got pretty ticked off about them not being accurate at first but there really isn't much competition out there so what are ya gonna do? if they get low and you don't notice it they will be a bit touchy getting things back up to the proper humidity. once they do they work fine. if they have an extended run time they think they are out of water and an alarm sounds even if they aren't low. i've been using 50/50 i make myself for a few years. it works out for me.

bstessl

I Might end up ordering the same setup...

McBryde

The only thing I'm worried about is how dented the thing is.

E

Mojo66

That will be a nice setup ,Ted Emerson (where the heck was my head) and at a good price too.  Can't wait to see the pics.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ninfiction

I bought a scratch and dent a year or so ago, damage was minimal...I use it for wine though and have it my kitchen. Can't even tell it has damage unless you look close....of course not all are the same so it's a bit of a risk but a hell of a savings.

I also use a Hydra LG in my tower. Works well with the fans. I swapped out the foam brick for floral beads and I don't have to fill it nearly as often.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

bstessl

not sure how many cubic feet the cooler is,  you think this model would do the trick?   cooler has been ordered,  need to figure out everything else now...

this model is for up to 8 CF
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ALAZV8/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41lwrYFXr9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=0G1ED76FB73R7F4C0WHT#

terrys1991

I use that model with the auxiliary fan kit in my cabinet that's right at 8cf, it's work good for me I did remove the foam and replaced it with kitty litter have to add distilled water every 2-3 months. I had to play around with the adjustment to keep cabinet at @ 65% RH the hydra unit is set at 74%. Have had it for a little more than a year & so far all is good
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

jharrisx5

I've been using a thermoelectric wine fridge for quite a while now...had Spanish cedar drawers made for it and use crystal kitty litter to maintain the RH.  One thing...the cooling unit will draw moisture from the air in the form of condensation which will drain out he back and quickly dry your stock.  I plugged the drain hole and routed the condensate back into my trays of litter...all the moisture stays in, and things are very stable.

I find that I can store a lot of singles in this unit but if you're storing boxes you may fit more in a 150qt cooler...its air tight, and easy to maintain RH and insulated to help keep a stable temp...I have one of those too...

Both work great and serve their purpose well.

Regarding the active humidification units...I used the hydra before and it worked great UNTIL the sensor quit working...then it ran all the time and rapidly over humidified my sticks  :angry:  here was no fixing it...had to toss it.   :angry:  I'd have rather spent the money on more sticks than a failed humidifier.

I'm all about passive humidification now...
Puff Puff Give....

jharrisx5

Here is an example of a full cooler...holds a bunch of stock and is stable as hell.

photo E0AF4F35-DB97-48D1-BC72-6403BB443BE3_zps8jwmxnky.jpg

Here is a shot of my wine fridge with the door closed...don't have one on my phone with the drawers open...the drawers I have will hold most sticks 3 deep...the bottom has a false front so the trays of litter sit underneath and are hidden.

photo 7141EC16-CB2D-4EE4-85F7-7E06F9BAAA5B_zpsmd8rcjhg.jpg

Forgot to add...no kitty litter in the cooler, just a few boveda packs
Puff Puff Give....

okieeagle

I know where you can get some cool drawers for that thing...

http://wineadors.com/edgestarkoldfront.html

Happy Smoking,

okieeagle
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

bstessl

Started a poll on humidification methods, swing by and give your thoughts.
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=42356.0

McBryde

Quotebstessl - 2/14/2016  12:22 PM

not sure how many cubic feet the cooler is,  you think this model would do the trick?   cooler has been ordered,  need to figure out everything else now...

this model is for up to 8 CF
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ALAZV8/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_200_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41lwrYFXr9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=0G1ED76FB73R7F4C0WHT#

That is the same one that I got, and I bought 2 of the extra fans to run in mine as well.

E

McBryde

Well, this has been a Shyte Show from the get go! I got my hydra in yesterday, and the power ribbon and adapter for it were missing. Another on the way. I got my wine fridge today, and the door was hanging off of it on the top by wires, in which some were cut. I called them, and another one on the way! I asked them what to do with this one, they said just chunk it, or do whatever with it, they didn't want it back, so I have one for parts, that I could possibly get working, with some dissasemble if the new one to see where the wires plug into the door strip at. 3 plugs came undone off the strip, and I don't want to short anything out just plugging in stuff willy nilly. A few wire nuts, and some extra wire and time and I could probably get it going as well. Who knows?

E

bstessl

great,  mine arrives tomorrow... lol.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.